Second printings and Re-issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second printings and Re-issues

This has come up a couple times on the forum recently, once with Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts 10th Anniversary Edition by PS Publishing and again it was mentioned about Clive Barker's Damnation Game from Cemetery Dance. Does a reprint affect the price of the first collector's edition? Will CD's print of Damnation Game cause the price/collectability of the Weidenfeld and Nicholson edition to decrease? Or does having a prior printing make the new printing less collectable, or wanted? Or does it have the inverse affect would a second print drive up the price of the first (as opposed to only having one printing)? Or how about second printings? Sub Press did two printings of Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box, when the second print was released did the price of the first printing increase, decrease or maintain?

I don't think the new edition of 'The Damnation Game' will have any effect on the W&N first edition. I know that I would view them as totally separate books, whereas a second printing that is identical to the first is only worth cover price (to me). I have a few second printings that took me a while to find - 'Scared Stiff' by Campbell and 'The Dark', by James Herbert. Both of these have variant dust jackets that are pretty rare.
    My Sream/Press signed limited edition of 'Scared Stiff' is an amazing edition, but it didn't stop me seeking out the 1st mass market hardcover edition.
    Lincoln.

Comment

I think that, in general, most collectors prefer to get the first printing. This being said, the re-issues, if they are attractive enough, also seem desirable. If a second or later printing is virtually identical to the first, there seems to be little if any collectible value. I don't think that any of the re-issues would affect the true first printing in value whatsoever.

John

Comment

Working...
      X