Maelstrom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maelstrom

I just received the newest Maelstrom set of book from Thunderstorm Books and it looks amazing! Last I heard from Brian's updates there was 7 copies of this available, but this was a couple days ago I think, so there may be even less now. I would highly suggest this set of book. It is $125, but you get 3 very well produced and very limited books, 2 from Brian Keene and another featuring F. Paul Wilson. I am a big fan of the Maelstrom line of books. Have all but 2 of the books so far. I am missing the 2 Brian Keene titles from the first one, but have matching numbers for Maelstrom 2-4 and will continue to do that as long as I can. Only a few copies left of this year's set

http://thunderstormbooks.com/thunderstorm/maelstrom-iv/
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

I rodered this through Camelot, the books look great, wish I had ordered direct through Thunderstorm, cause then I'd have them by now. I want to get The Rising: Deliverance but haven't found any on the secondary market yet. I saw the pics in your collection thread, they look great.

Comment

The Rising: Deliverance is a hard one to track down. There was one listed a few months back on Ebay with a buy it now price of around fifty bucks I remember right. I was bummed I missed it, though I was able to pick up A Gathering Of Crows from the same buyer for forty. I'm sure one will turn up eventually.

Comment

Yeah, I wish I had known about the Maelstrom line in time to get the first set. I may or may not get the missing titles at some point. They won't match the numbers of the other 3 sets, so I may pass and just pick up non limit copies if available in either eBook or physical form.
        Spoiler!

Comment

It's awesome to have some of these re-issued, especially the Rising. The original limited ed. fetches mighty high prices. I hope we get City of the Dead in next years package.

I am curious is there interior art other than the limitation page? Or any new introductions to the re-issues?
          Last edited by Theli; 11-27-2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

There is an intro in the Anniversary edition of The Rising. No other intros and don't think there is any interior art. Not that I have noticed, at least. Don't think there is interior art in any of the Maelstrom editions. I don't know that for sure though since I don't have the 2 Keene titles from the first Maelstrom set. That is one thing that I'd love to have, but that'd probably result in a price increase.

Oh, and the endpapers are just plain black pages. Wish they were like the 2nd Maelstrom set, which had some great art on them, but that is the only Maelstrom that doesn't have plain pages for them.
            Spoiler!

Comment

Cool, the price is more than reasonable so i won't complain, but it's always nice to have illustrations. It's cool that they added an intro to the anniversary edition.

Comment

Yes, would definitely like interior illustrations in pretty much all my limited edition books, not just the Maelstrom ones. They at least have art on the hardcover part of the books, which is more than most books. I also like when there is art on the endpapers of the books, but most are plain. I started reading Last of the Albatwitches today and I am definitely enjoying it, like I expected. I have started each of the Maelstrom sets off by reading the novellas first so far. Last year I moved directly to Earthworm Gods II, but won't be moving to The Rising right away for a couple reasons.

First, because I typically don't read 2 in a row from a single author, and second because I have a group read of William Ollie's The Mountain starting on Dec. 2 (which I may start early). I made an exception to the first reason last year because the two books of Keene's were not in the same kind of genre and were actually VERY different
                Spoiler!

Comment

Yes, would definitely like interior illustrations in pretty much all my limited edition books, not just the Maelstrom ones. They at least have art on the hardcover part of the books, which is more than most books. I also like when there is art on the endpapers of the books, but most are plain. I started reading Last of the Albatwitches today and I am definitely enjoying it, like I expected. I have started each of the Maelstrom sets off by reading the novellas first so far. Last year I moved directly to Earthworm Gods II, but won't be moving to The Rising right away for a couple reasons.

First, because I typically don't read 2 in a row from a single author, and second because I have a group read of William Ollie's The Mountain starting on Dec. 2 (which I may start early). I made an exception to the first reason last year because the two books of Keene's were not in the same kind of genre and were actually VERY different
                  Spoiler!

Comment

I'll probably be starting the Rising straight away after it arrives. I haven't read it yet. But like you I probably won't go directly to the other Keene book, I rarely read two books by the same author ina row. I actually cancelled my order with Camelot since they hadn't charged me yet and hadn't received shipping notice. They're a fantastic publisher/seller, and Kim there sales rep there was very understanding, it's just that I figured it would be safer to get directly from Thunderstorm. So it should arrive sooner, I believe. Just gotta polish off the Chosen, by Ed Lee. It's slow going, I'm not used to reading books where half the plot is sex, haha.

Comment

Yeah, it is likely going to get to you faster going direct from Thunderstorm. I know from my own experience with Camelot that they are a good company to deal with. They even had the book wrapped like it was a present!
                      Spoiler!

Comment

I just got an e-mail from CD today saying they have some of Maelstrom Set 4 in stock for anyone interested who hasen't already ordered it.

Comment

Yeah, got that e-mail too. Got a spare copy from CD a couple years ago when they had some available and were offering a gift card to go with it. Except for that spare set, I get mine directly from Thunderstorm so I can keep my numbers. Doubt I will ever have the first Maelstrom set with matching numbers to my other ones since it isn't worth paying a lot of extra money to me
                          Last edited by RJK1981; 12-06-2013, 11:02 AM. Reason: Forgot some words
                          Spoiler!

Comment

Kind of a bummer, but not the end of the world.

Comment

Yeah. Would be nice to have the matching numbers for all of the Maelstrom books, but unless I win the lottery I won't be willing to pay extra to get those numbers, if I could even find them!
                              Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                              X