Short Fiction VS Novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cycloneed20 View Post
    Hey Ron: If I had to make a choice -- I'd say novels. However, I like both very much. There are times in short stories where character development is not as good as it should be. Or the story line isn't as well thought out as it should be. And, I'm left wanting a lot more. One of favorite past times is before going turning in for the night -- is to lay on the bed and get lost in a very good novel that captures my attention -- with a great well thought out story line with great characters. And, I enjoy going on the journey with a novel seeing how the story evolves from beginning to end. During this time -- the characters and the situations are very real to me. A very good medium that bridges these two things are the novella which I also enjoy.
    Good point. Oddly enough, I've written more novellas and long fiction pieces than since coming back to writing in 2006, than I ever did in the 80s and 90s. That long, satisfying fictional bridge between short story and novel really appeals to me right now. Of course, alot of it has to do with writing the novellas for the Essential books (I'll be writing the one for the Essential edition of PITFALL next weekend, over the Thanksgiving holiday).

Incidently, I've collected all my best novellas and long fiction stories in one tome; LONG CHILLS, now available in e-book through Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, Smashwords, etc. Check it out if you get a chance.

Comment

I was going to say novellas. "Timber Gray" is my favorite so far. Might be pushing the boundaries of a novella but it was an easy read in a hectic schedule.

Comment

I really like the short story format. A quick jolt that can easily be sustained, rarely oversyaying their welcome. Some of my favorites have come from your dark and twisted pen, Ron.
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald Kelly View Post
          Good point. Oddly enough, I've written more novellas and long fiction pieces than since coming back to writing in 2006, than I ever did in the 80s and 90s. That long, satisfying fictional bridge between short story and novel really appeals to me right now. Of course, alot of it has to do with writing the novellas for the Essential books (I'll be writing the one for the Essential edition of PITFALL next weekend, over the Thanksgiving holiday).

Incidently, I've collected all my best novellas and long fiction stories in one tome; LONG CHILLS, now available in e-book through Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, Smashwords, etc. Check it out if you get a chance.
          Hey Ron:
          I received an Amazon Kindle Paperwhiite for my birthday this past Nov. 12 (turned 49). And, after the Geek Squad at Best Buy hooked up the wi-fi -- Long Chills was the first book I downloaded and read. I liked it a lot. However, some scenes in some stories were unsettling. I have Thunderstorm editions of Undertaker's Moon, Fear and The Dark[Un. Plus, I have Cumberland Furnace. So, there were five short stories I've already read. But, it was fun to read them a second time. I have Hindsight on Amazon wishlist.

Comment

Hey Ron: I forgot to mention that I also put Timber Gray on my Kindle. I look forward to reading it soon. I'm reading Dr. Sleep right now. I'm a little past the half-way mark.

Comment

I would say my favourite length of read is normally novella to short novel length, 100-200 pages. It can be read quickly and has enough space to develop characters and ideas. That said all lengths and formats have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

Hey Ron: I forgot to mention that I also put Timber Gray on my Kindle. I look forward to reading it soon. I'm reading Dr. Sleep right now. I'm a little past the half-way mark.
                Thanks, buddy! I'm glad you enjoyed LONG CHILLS and hope you like TIMBER GRAY when you get around to it. Plenty more available in my stable of Kindle Books and even more coming to e-book in 2014. Next year will prove to be a mighty prolific year for Ol' Ron, if the good Lord's willing.

Comment

Hey Ron:
                  I've read the first 11 chapters of "Timber Gray." I'm enjoying it. It's a very good book. This is usually the type of subject matter I don't read about.

Comment

I read mine in the dead of winter 2 years ago. Set the mood even more. It is a great story and I still want more of Timber Gray..

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                      I read mine in the dead of winter 2 years ago. Set the mood even more. It is a great story and I still want more of Timber Gray..
                      Actually, I'm considering writing a Timber Gray short story for an upcoming weird western anthology, in which Timber agrees to hunt down a creature that is far from his normal game of expertise...

Comment

Actually, I'm considering writing a Timber Gray short story for an upcoming weird western anthology, in which Timber agrees to hunt down a creature that is far from his normal game of expertise...
                        That sounds awesome! I would be well up for reading that if you write it Ron!!!!!!
                        "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                        - Stephen King

Comment

Great. I always felt there was more for us to know about this character and his past adventures.

Comment

I like the sound of that one. I look forward to it!
                            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Hey Ron: I finished reading "Timber Gray" on my Kindle late Wednesday night. I liked the book a lot. Timber Gray was a very good well developed character. And, I liked how Ole Cripplefoot was wrapped up in an aura of mystery.

Comment

Hey Ron: I finished reading "Timber Gray" on my Kindle late Wednesday night. I liked the book a lot. Timber Gray was a very good well developed character. And, I liked how Ole Cripplefoot was wrapped up in an aura of mystery.
                                I'm glad you enjoyed TG, hoss. I've been seriously considering writing more traditional westerns, as well as the weird/horror/western serial that I've had in mind for a long time (way back in 1992, in fact). Thunderstorm would be doing the serial... hopefully with illustrations by Alex McVey.

Comment

Working...
                                X