Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SubPress: Clive Barker's Books of Blood (6 volume set)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books of Blood is a set I want at some point, but not for this price. Will have to try to find them on the used market hopefully.

Comment

I love these books, but Barker's artwork I can do without - hate it.
      So, I'll pass.

sk

Comment

Talk about a reasonable price! I just pre-ordered the Books of Blood through Camelotbooks.com, $250 for a signed edition. Happy days! Thought I would have to miss on this one! Also I dig Barker's art, surreal and unnusual, it's unique, and I think fits his subjects well. That's the main reason I ordered Midnight Meat Train from DRP.

Comment

Just ordered it myself. Been eagerly waiting this one. Bought mine from Sub Press. Every once in awhile they will offer something to the people who ordered from them and the price is the same everywhere.

Comment

Although I am a big fan of The Books of Blood, I'm going to pass on this. I was never keen on the idea of a multi-volume edition and I'm not fond of Clive Barker's particular brand of surrealistic artwork.

For $250, I would rather wait and purchase CD's Artist Edition of Salem's Lot when it is announced later this year.
            "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
            - Stephen King

Comment

Fair enough, Tim. What do you think of the Scream Press edition in one massive volume?
              Last edited by Theli; 05-01-2014, 04:36 AM.

Comment

I bought this. Like Mister Barkers short stories. His art work is like his his longer works. Hit or miss. I passed on Midnight Meat Train in hopes that this was not going to be over priced. At less then $50 a book you can't beat the price. Just wish the money did not have to be all up front.

Comment

^Camelotbooks.com

Comment

Ordered the limited. I like the majority of his artwork, and this collection is second only to Campbell's 'Dark Companions', in my opinion. Reading this in the mid 80's was a game changer for me, at the impressionable age of 14.
                    I think it's sensible to break it up into six volumes, but I'm pretty sure Barker always wanted it as one book, like the Stealth Press edition.

Comment

Looks like I'm going to pass on this, mostly due to low funds. I find Barker's artwork to be hit and miss, but always interesting. Congratulations to all who did pick one up I'm sure that the set will be very nice. I also agree that Camelot Books is awesome and their selection is great.

Comment

I'm gonna have to pass also. I passed on the Midnight Meat Train as I want to get it in the BoB one day. Just not today.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Well, I bought this immediately. I love Stephen King, but Cliver Barker is a very close second. The Books of Blood were life-changing to me. Clive's very inspirational to me as a writer. I bought all the paperbacks in the 80s... mine had those covers with awful photographs of masks of tree-people or whatever they were. The later three books weren't as bad.
                          I bought the Stealth Press omnibus, too, and I didn't mind the cover at all, but I found the book completely unacceptable because of all the hyphens that popped up in the middle of words in the middle of sentences. There were so many it got to be too distracting. Did nobody proof the book after it was typeset?

Plus, the Stealth Press book is just... huge. A wrist-killer. I like to read while I eat and it's hard to do both with a gigantic book. Six smaller volumes preserves the intent and feel of the books as well.

Plus, having Clive's original artwork is fantastic! My family moved to England in 89 (from the US) and I started picking up the paperbacks with this artwork in grocery stores, bookstores, etc. Having them on hardbacks at long last is pretty damn exciting.

So I'll have the new editions of these books, Weaveworld, and Cabal, plus his early writings whenever that comes out. (I skipped The Damnation Game since that didn't seem to have enough extras for me to spring for it for that price.) I wonder if Imajica is next?

Comment

These books don't even have original artwork and signed by him on only one book?? I think I'll stick to my Stealth limited.

Comment

Yeah, but that artwork hasn't been released in the US before. I remember looking at a few in Fangoria, and then picking them off the shelves in the UK. They're fabulous. If you're thinking of Clive's later sloppy paintings, these are completely different. I think these are professional quality:
                              Attached Files

Comment

I just ordered the set from Camelot Books. I have the Stealth omnibus, and absolutely love it, but couldn't resist this edition. The Stealth is amazing, but its not very reader friendly. Plus I've always loved Clive's original artwork, so it'll be wonderful to have that on a new edition. Now, I'll have the new editions of Cabal and Weaveworld and the stand alone Midnight Meat Train. I really wish I hadn't missed out on the Damnation Game. I put my name in to be notified in case some copies become available, but I'm not very hopeful that will happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X