Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stephen King's 10 Favorite Adaptations - Which ones would you have left out / put in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephen King's 10 Favorite Adaptations - Which ones would you have left out / put in?

I just got my SubPress copy of Stephen King Goes to the Movies. In the back, King lists his 10 favorite adaptations. Here they are in alphabetical order:

Apt Pupil
    Cujo
    Dolores Claiborne
    Green Mile
    Misery
    The Mist
    Shawshank Redemption
    Stand By Me
    Storm of the Century

Which would you have left out or put in?

I LOVE 1408, Green Mile, The Mist, Misery, and Shawshank Redemption. In fact, the Green Mile is my favorite movie and one of my top five favorite books. I haven't seen Cuju, Dolores Claiborne, Stand by Me, or Storm of the Century.

But I didn't care much for Apt Pupil. And I don't know about leaving out Pet Sematary. I also liked the TV version of the Shining.

(Sorry if this has been posted here before.)

I like all of those movies in his list. I liked Pet Cemetery, but would rate it as one of my favorites. I did really like the TV version of The Shining too, though the casting wasn't the strongest. I am typically rather easy to please with movies, so I like things that a lot of people don't. I didn't like a movie version of The Shining, nor did I like The Tommyknockers, though I may give it another shot since I watched it right after I finished the book.

When I was in the Army I actually had Thanksgiving dinner at one of our Captain's home who lived next door to where some of Rose Red was filmed in either Spanaway or Tacoma, WA! Thinking it was in Spanaway, but not completely sure what city it was she lived in since I didn't drive there, lol.
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Comment

I would probably remove Cujo and replace it with The Dead Zone. I like Cujo but I think The Dead Zone is a better movie. Beyond that I agree with the list.

Comment

I would remove apt pupil(the movie was much too tame) but I am not sure what i would replace it with. I'm thinking pet sematary. Loved the kid even though it's not a great movie over all but he made me like it.

Comment

I'd remove all of them and replace them with 10 entries for Kubrick's The Shining!
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I too would include The Dead Zone into the list, as it is indeed a fantastic movie. Christopher Walken's portrayal of Johnny Smith was absolutely brilliant. I cannot imagine anyone else in the role, and for me, his performance is a prime example of perfect movie casting.

I strongly believe Carrie should also be included, as this film brilliantly captured the essence of Stephen King's original vision. The various set-pieces and stellar performances from both Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie make this an absolutely spellbinding horror movie. It should be noted that Carrie is notable for being one of the few horror films to be nominated for multiple Academy Awards. Spacek was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress, while Laurie was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. I just cannot see how the remake due to be released next month, can even come close to equalling Brian De Palma's stunning movie.

Although The Shining is one the greatest horror movies of all time, I have already stated in another thread that this movie is so different from the book, that it effectively became Stanley Kubrick's The Shining and not Stephen King's. I do not consider The Shining as a true King adaptation and therefore this film should not be included in the list. I will add however, that Stephen King's ill thought-out TV remake was so bad, it almost killed my love for the original novel. It rightfully deserved the wide derision it received from critics.
            "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
            - Stephen King

Comment

Hmm. I'd hoped that statement would have been as such a ridiculous notion that it could only be humor. Oh well...
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                Hmm. I'd hoped that statement would have been as such a ridiculous notion that it could only be humor. Oh well...
                Which bit? My reference to The Dead Zone? Carrie? Or The Shining?
                "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                - Stephen King

Comment

Looks like we both have been misunderstood tonight. I got your humour but then again we both remember the infamous Doll thread. Wish it was 9am Friday so this week would be over.
                  Originally posted by srboone View Post

Comment

My statement on the 10 entries for The Shining.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I took you serious Squire. Thought you were one of the Kubrick lovers around here. lol.

Comment

I enjoyed the movie Apt Pupil but would agree that it does not share the genuine evil that is in the story.
                        Originally posted by Teriw View Post
                        I would remove apt pupil(the movie was much too tame) but I am not sure what i would replace it with. I'm thinking pet sematary. Loved the kid even though it's not a great movie over all but he made me like it.

Comment

I watched Storm of the Century tonight. That one should definitely be dropped from the list...

As bad as the acting was in the TV version of The Shining, it was far worse in Storm of the Century.

Comment

Originally posted by coderedx View Post
                            I watched Storm of the Century tonight. That one should definitely be dropped from the list...

As bad as the acting was in the TV version of The Shining, it was far worse in Storm of the Century.
                            Whoa! In that case Storm of the Century must be bad!!!

The acting in the TV version of The Shining was so bad, I nearly put my foot through the screen....
                            - Stephen King

Comment

Originally posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
                              Whoa! In that case Storm of the Century must be bad!!!

The acting in the TV version of The Shining was so bad, I nearly put my foot through the screen....
                              I'm by no means one of those people that has to have a perfect video and audio set up, but the movie was also full screen (don't know if they even sell a widescreen version) AND the cinematography was pretty crappy. There were some creepy parts, but not many.

Comment

Working...
                              X