• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool looking new books. Congrats!
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      PS is one of those publishers that I'm always intrigued by some of the books they publish, but very rarely pull the trigger. Gaslight, Ghosts, and Ghouls were one of those titles. I'll probably start dipping my toe into the PS waters a little more.

The PC editions were more of a coincidence. I've gone back and forth about PC editions over the past few years. On one hand, I get the mentality that it isn't a "true" lettered edition, which caused me to shy away from them at first. But there's another part of my brain that sees the book as having all the same bells and whistles except that a line reads "PC" versus "AA", which this part of my mind finds rather trivial.

I won't begrudge anybody else their opinion as both viewpoints are valid, but I'm settled that I won't pass on a good deal due to it being a PC copy. And the KPB book was a smoking deal at $41.99.

Does anybody solely collect PC copies? Maybe I'm missing a niche...
      That is a great price, I only have the limited but it is a great read.

Comment

Thunderstorm Books recently partnered up with Poltergeist Press for a new lettered edition imprint titled ANOTHER GHOST. I wiffle-waffled a little too long when the two first titles were announced and missed out. Luckily, Paul at Thunderstorm was able to help me out and I was able to add the two titles to my collection. Thunderstorm always puts out very nice limited editions so I knew that I would be in good hands, but was very impressed once I got them in my hands.

The first book is A Penny For Your Thoughts by Robert Ford and Matt Hayward:

IMG_2451 (2).jpg
        IMG_2452 (3).jpg
        IMG_2453 (2).jpg
        IMG_2454 (2).jpg
        IMG_2455 (3).jpg
        Last edited by Sock Monkey; 02-03-2020, 10:41 PM.

Comment

The second Another Ghost title is A Place for Sinners by Aaron Dries:

IMG_2457 (2).jpg
          IMG_2458 (2).jpg
          IMG_2459 (2).jpg
          IMG_2460 (2).jpg
          IMG_2461.jpg

Comment

The second Another Ghost title is A Place for Sinners by Aaron Dries:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21937[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]21938[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]21939[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]21940[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]21941[/ATTACH]
            Those are beautiful. I have no clue how Thunderstorm can make a profit with the retail, production quality and limitation of their books.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              Those are beautiful. I have no clue how Thunderstorm can make a profit with the retail, production quality and limitation of their books.
              I always wonder that as well. Thunderstorm's limitations keep dropping lower with the Black Voltage titles going to 45-52 copies. The price point is usually what slows my purchases from them. I kind of wish that their print runs would go up so maybe the price point could drop a bit. A 100-150 print run would be large for a non-Brian Keene Thunderstorm book, but is so small in comparison to what CD, Subterranean, or Centipede does.

I really tapered off in my Thunderstorm purchases over the last two years, but I'm slowly working my way back in. I can't afford to be a completist as Thunderstorm publishes too much for my wallet to handle in addition to the other publishers I buy from. Right now I'm trying to decide what lines I want to jump back on. What I've always like about Thunderstorm is the uniformity in each one of their lines (okay, everything besides their Elemental line that went through so many permutations) as it speaks to what I really like as a collector.

Comment

I always wonder that as well. Thunderstorm's limitations keep dropping lower with the Black Voltage titles going to 45-52 copies. The price point is usually what slows my purchases from them. I kind of wish that their print runs would go up so maybe the price point could drop a bit. A 100-150 print run would be large for a non-Brian Keene Thunderstorm book, but is so small in comparison to what CD, Subterranean, or Centipede does.

I really tapered off in my Thunderstorm purchases over the last two years, but I'm slowly working my way back in. I can't afford to be a completist as Thunderstorm publishes too much for my wallet to handle in addition to the other publishers I buy from. Right now I'm trying to decide what lines I want to jump back on. What I've always like about Thunderstorm is the uniformity in each one of their lines (okay, everything besides their Elemental line that went through so many permutations) as it speaks to what I really like as a collector.
                I only own a few Thunderstorm books but each one is well done.

Comment

Been a while since I updated my collection so I'd figure I'd begin with some new SST editions. I already posted PARADISE SKY over in the SST thread so I won't double up here. So I'll focus on my two new editions of GROWING THINGS by Paul Tremblay and THE SILENCE by Tim Lebbon.

I've been picking up all the Tremblay books that SST has been putting out and they are just fantastic. I love Daniele Serra's art and I'm glad SST has continued to use his art over the Tremblay books as a whole. The art is so evocative and atmospheric. I just think it's fantastic and can't get enough.
                  thumbnail (17).jpg .

I couldn't get a good picture THE SILENCE due to the mylar cover so I just did a picture of my expanding SST shelf. I agree with Jeff's assessment of THE SILENCE giving off some Centipede Press vibes. It's a solid, well-designed book. SST continues to evolve the look and feel of their books and are becoming one of the most consistent publishers out there. While they aren't on the design level of Suntup or high-end Centipede titles--nor are they trying to be--they are producing books at such a level that I feel like I'm getting a bargain every time I pick one up. Not to mention their line-up is just hitting all my sweet spots. How people feel about Suntup's line up is how I feel about SST's. It's like their just going, "What would that Sock Monkey fellow like?" and then they publish it.

Yup. Lots of SST love in this house!

thumbnail (21).jpgthumbnail (20).jpgthumbnail (19).jpg

Comment

Next up is a new CD lettered edition. Sometimes I scour eBay and I throw bids on stuff that I'm sure I won't win. I threw what I thought was a low bid on a lettered edition of Gary Brandner's ROT...and wound up winning it at a whopping $20. I've never read any of Brandner's stuff, but I'm looking forward to checking this out.

thumbnail (5).jpgthumbnail (6).jpgthumbnail (4).jpgthumbnail (1).jpgthumbnail.jpg

Comment

Now onto the last two books in the Another Ghost imprint collaboration between Thunderstorm Books and Poltergeist Press. I won't go into the details as to why this imprint is finished after only four titles, but I'll just say that I'm bummed out it went they way that it did. These are some pretty cool books and look great on the shelf. At least I can say that I have a full matching set of PC copies...

Here's BLOOD AND RAIN by Glenn Rolfe:

image7.jpegimage6.jpegimage5.jpegimage4.jpeg

Comment

Another Ghost Book 4 was DEAD DAUGHTERS by Tim Meyer:

image3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

Comment

I told myself a while back that I would scale back on how many publishers I buy from, limiting myself to just CD, Centipede, SST and some Sub Press. I wasn't trying to go down the Thunderstorm rabbit hole again. Not because their books aren't great editions--because they are--and not because Paul isn't a great guy--because he is--but just mostly because his lines feed so into my collecting OCD that I want them ALL. And I only have so much money. Well, I broke that promise when I picked up the Another Ghost titles. And then I thought, I'll only get LULLABIES FOR SUFFERING. And then, well, here's the first of a couple of new Thunderstorm editions on my shelf:

The first is SNOW by Ronald Malfi. I've wanted a limited of this book for a while and the one that was previously published was rather rare and I'd always miss out on snagging a copy. Lo and behold, Paul decided to do an edition and I couldn't pass it up. Especially not with an awesome Daniele Serra cover...

image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpeg

Comment

Thunderstorm Book #2:

I really like Mary SanGiovanni's writing. I've yet to read something of hers that I haven't liked. When I sold my copy of MIA MOJA, I wound up regretting it because it contained her story, "Okiku" , which was my favorite in the book. Why I sold that book, I just don't know. Anyways, when Thunderstorm announced a new collection by Ms. SanGiovanni I was very excited, especially since "Okiku" was included. But then finances got tight and I couldn't find the right time to squeeze the purchase in. Luckily, I finally was able to score a copy at a good price on eBay and now have it in my collection.

thumbnail (16).jpgthumbnail (8).jpgthumbnail (14).jpgthumbnail (15).jpgthumbnail (7).jpg

Comment

Thunderstorm Book #3:

I've never read anything by Todd Keisling, but there's been a lot of buzz around his book DEVIL'S CREEK, so I jumped on the Thunderstorm limited edition, because why not?

thumbnail (9).jpgthumbnail (10).jpgthumbnail (11).jpg

Comment

You been quite busy of late. Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X