No announcement yet.

Sock Monkey's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Christmas 2018, I convinced my wife to let me pick up a PC copy of the lettered edition of Ramsey Campbell's The Searching Dead. I waited patiently for a year to see if PS would put up PC copies of the following two volumes in the trilogy, Born to the Dark and The Way of the Worm. Luckily they did and I subtly suggested those as a gift for Christmas 2020. Christmas Day came and lo and behold, my wife was kind enough to get me one of the books, Way of the Worm. This being the third volume and I had to quickly scramble on to the PS2 site and see if the other volume was available and...it was! So, now I have a complete set of the trilogy!

Here's the front and back of the traycases:

IMG_2398 (4).JPG
    IMG_2399 (2).jpg
    IMG_2400 (2).jpg

Comment

Cover, Illustrated boards, endpapers, and signature sheet of Born to the Dark:

IMG_2401 (2).jpg
      IMG_2403 (2).jpg
      IMG_2404 (2).jpg
      IMG_2409 (3).jpg
      IMG_2406 (3).jpg

Comment

Very nice!!

Comment

Way of the Worm

IMG_2402 (2).jpg
          IMG_2407 (3).jpg
          IMG_2408 (2).jpg
          IMG_2405 (2).jpg
          IMG_2411 (3).jpg

Comment

"The Three Births of Daoloth" Family picture:

IMG_2412 (2).jpg

Comment

Thanks, mhatchett!

While I'm very happy to have them in my collection, I am a little torn as to their look. I've never purchased a PS lettered edition before so I wasn't sure what I was getting into. The traycases feel pretty sturdy and they have a nice magnetic clasp to keep the flap closed and the white color looks rather sharp. On the other hand I'm not the biggest fan of illustrated boards, but these are growing on me a little. Though the PC copies don't include the original Chadbourne art that their "real" lettered brethern do, I'm satisfied with the price for them which was around $225 each.

I am really surprised at the original price of $775 each (converted from pounds, course). I don't know if I'd drop that much on these editions.

Comment

Another new addition: a PC lettered of Kealan Patrick Burke's The Number 121 to Pennsylvania:

IMG_2413 (2).jpg
                IMG_2414 (2).jpg
                IMG_2415 (2).jpg
                IMG_2416 (2).jpg

Comment

Fantastic additions! I like printed boards on less expensive editions, so I agree with you with your hesitation for having it that way for the lettered editions. But those lettered editions look sharp!

Great stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                    Fantastic additions! I like printed boards on less expensive editions, so I agree with you with your hesitation for having it that way for the lettered editions. But those lettered editions look sharp!

Great stuff!
                    Thanks, Jeff! I think I’ll probably always equate printed boards with lower-end editions, and prefer a nice leather binding in general, but if one was to do illustrated boards this is a very nice example of how it’s done right.

And bless Mr. Crowther and team at PS for producing lettered editions of Campbell’s work, period!

Comment

Congratulations, those are attractive volumes. I do get what you mean about PS -- I'm a little unsure myself about how I feel about printed boards, but I typically forget about that reservation and really enjoy them when I hold them in hand. In fact, I'm waiting for my trade copy of Gaslight, Ghosts & Ghouls: A Centenary Celebration R. Chetwynd-Hayes. I suspect that forgetfulness is especially true when it comes to traycased, lettered editions. :-)

So between these and the KP Burke: Do you collect PC editions, or was it just a coincidence that all are PC?
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Congratulations on some great additions to your collection. If you have not read 'The Number 121 to Pennsylvania and Others' there is not a bad story in that collection!

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                          Congratulations, those are attractive volumes. I do get what you mean about PS -- I'm a little unsure myself about how I feel about printed boards, but I typically forget about that reservation and really enjoy them when I hold them in hand. In fact, I'm waiting for my trade copy of Gaslight, Ghosts & Ghouls: A Centenary Celebration R. Chetwynd-Hayes. I suspect that forgetfulness is especially true when it comes to traycased, lettered editions. :-)

So between these and the KP Burke: Do you collect PC editions, or was it just a coincidence that all are PC?
                          PS is one of those publishers that I'm always intrigued by some of the books they publish, but very rarely pull the trigger. Gaslight, Ghosts, and Ghouls were one of those titles. I'll probably start dipping my toe into the PS waters a little more.

The PC editions were more of a coincidence. I've gone back and forth about PC editions over the past few years. On one hand, I get the mentality that it isn't a "true" lettered edition, which caused me to shy away from them at first. But there's another part of my brain that sees the book as having all the same bells and whistles except that a line reads "PC" versus "AA", which this part of my mind finds rather trivial.

I won't begrudge anybody else their opinion as both viewpoints are valid, but I'm settled that I won't pass on a good deal due to it being a PC copy. And the KPB book was a smoking deal at $41.99.

Does anybody solely collect PC copies? Maybe I'm missing a niche...

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            Congratulations on some great additions to your collection. If you have not read 'The Number 121 to Pennsylvania and Others' there is not a bad story in that collection!
                            I have not read it yet and was waiting to pick up a lettered copy to do so. Mr. Burke is one of my favorite authors ever since I read Kin (another book I'm looking for in a lettered edition).

I still kick myself for selling my copies of his books published by Thunderstorm. It was a momentary lapse of judgement, thinking that if I wasn't moving forward with collecting TSB titles at the time, then I should purge all titles. That was dumb. Very, very dumb.

Comment

Nice adds!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                                Nice adds!
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X