No announcement yet.

Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another Off-topic query-- Does anyone know where we might find contests or places where novella sized stories could be submitted for publication consideration? I have so many stories to find homes for! Please, good friends, show me the way...

Comment

So many good stories. But as somebody that has edited for some small publications in the past, it's pretty easy to know if something is working for you or not. I used a 1-10 rating scale on each, then if I had ties went back and re-read. As for writing, the most I've done is 40k over four days for the second half of my 2nd novel Disintegration, that I'm shopping now. But seriously, 10k a day, my fingers DID really hurt. And I type 70 wpm. This contest is going great, and I hope that a lot of emerging and unknown authors get some great attention. I'll have to try out those Shock Totem contests, didn't know about those. Been trying to break into ST for a bit now. :-)
      FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

I think it will all even out on the long run. And I am sure 3 fine stories will make it. I wouldn't worry too much about it. These things tend to have a way of working themselves out. I think the turn out has been great. The contest has been great. And, the talk here has been great. Only you guys at CD will know how you want to proceed in the future, and anyone that doesn't agree with your choice doesn't have to enter. I think people are just airing out some of their concerns, but it will work out. I am certain of it. It is likely most people will get family votes no matter what, but some people have big families LOL. It's great though, Dan. And good fun.
        Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
          Here's another Off-topic query-- Does anyone know where we might find contests or places where novella sized stories could be submitted for publication consideration? I have so many stories to find homes for! Please, good friends, show me the way...
          I don't know of any contests for that length of story. Typically they are flash to short fiction. You could try Duotrope though to see if any publishers are accepting them for anthologies.

Comment

Thank you, my brother. Pre shate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
              Not sure on contests, I don't remember many that asked for novella length. So many contests ask for an entry fee, you'd be better off just looking for publication. Try out that Duotrope.com and search by length and if you want horror, try that. I just found 75 returns for horror_novellas there. F&SF is at the top of that list, also Tor.com, Shroud and many more.
              FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Duotrope also has little tabs for different pages that discuss acceptance percentages and wait time percentages. Each individual listing has percentages as well as rates listed, and what they accept. It is an incredibly useful tool, and if you are able to make a sale thanks to it, you should try and donate to it now and then. It exists thanks to donations.

Comment

I was talking with a co-worker today about this contest, and the first thing out of his mouth was "are you winning?"

Personally, winning would be a nice incentive, but just to find a forum that celebrates amateur horror writing and being able to read all these awesome and fun stories for free and to exchange messages with the authors, has been fantastic! Sure, it'd be nice to win, but that's honestly the farthest thing from my mind with this contest. Just getting my story out there and having fun with all the other stories has been plenty prize enough for me!

And to all of those who don't make it past the wildcard round, just remember- Stephen King had a boxload of rejection letters before Carrie

Comment

ozmosis7: I agree that On Writing is great. The only part I hated was when King talked about getting an agent. All he had to say was that if you have a saleable novel, and you stick with it, you'll probably get an agent. This coming from a guy who published Carrie without an agent. I strongly disagree with his statement, and I think a lot of other people would, too.

Dan: Yeah, I meant more of a critique-based thing. If that's what the Writer's Corner can be utilized for, fantastic! I must have misunderstood the exact nature of the place here. Sounds wonderful.
                    www.nikhouser.com

Comment

I disagreed with some, after all, no two ends are achieved by the same path in a career. I've met very successful self-pubbed authors, and others that stuck to their guns for the traditional method. In the end, they are all successful. The part I disagree with the most is his evaluation of an a bad author. I think the craft of writing is rally two things. One, the ability to think of a good idea or concept, and two, the ability to tell it in a smooth way. I am not sure one can learn the gift of thinking of ideas, but you can always study to improve the second. That's what an education is, learning to refine a craft. In all though, he made some very good points about the craft of writing without just coming out and saying it. Instead, he told a story. The rabbit in the cage he describes is a great, great point. That of course is just my opinion though.

Comment

The Writer's corner is was for writers to share and receive advice from other writers. I think that includes critiquing other's work as well.
                        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                          The Writer's corner is was for writers to share and receive advice from other writers. I think that includes critiquing other's work as well.
                          I see what you mean, Dan. Someone would just start a new topic entitled, "Looking for crits: My Story Title" and others would comment there. Correct?

Comment

ozmosis7:

I agree that you can't learn how to come up with good ideas. Fortunately, an author can learn how to weed out the bad or cliche ideas, and open themselves up to something new or unexpected to write about. Same goes for cliched phrasing within a story, which is where the polishing of one's craft comes in. Not that you shouldn't write about vampires or what have you. But you'd better make it startlingly fresh you want an editor to pay attention to a trope they've seen a million times before. Look at me, my premise wasn't staggeringly new; I wrote about a dude who goes to hell, and that's been done to death. I just hope my approach is somewhat entertaining.
                            www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                              AWESOME. and thank you.
                              www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                                I see what you mean, Dan. Someone would just start a new topic entitled, "Looking for crits: My Story Title" and others would comment there. Correct?
                                Sounds like a good way to do it to me!

Edit: Just remember that these are public forums, and anyone and their brother can see what you post.
                                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Working...
                                X