Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Contest Entry Discussion

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar
    Thank you very much for pulling this opportunity together. I agree with some of the previous posts too. With this being a non-anonymous submission contest, you are almost best off either requiring everyone to post their top 3 choices in their own thread. Either that, or you create a voting committee that would determine the end results based on the vote. Just throwing this in to see if it helps. Other than that I hope you all enjoy all the tales, and good luck to everyone involved.

Junior Member Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Not long, unless all the moderators are asleep at the wheel. I know I check back every fifteen minutes or so.
    Thanks Dan for all your support today. Everything is as it should be. Again, another found great employee of Cemetery Dance.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Kenwood's Avatar
    Not sure it's wise to change the rules now that the contest has begun, even if a change would be better. Best to live and learn.
    "Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

The Eyesore Times | Shock Totem | Getcha Rocks Off

What do the yellow stars mean, and how did they get there?

Apparently this forum has a feature that lets you "rate" threads.

Looks like someone started a trend.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    The thread rating system won't work as a voting method, as there is no way to limit the number of votes. I've gotta talk it over with Brian and see what we want to do. I may just use a google doc or something like that to do the vote.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenwood View Post
    Looks like someone started a trend.
    Looks like we all get 3 stars! Yay for mediocrity! Seriously, it does look like the stories are evening out!

Quote Originally Posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    Looks like we all get 3 stars! Yay for mediocrity! Seriously, it does look like the stories are evening out!
    And I imagine that's how it'll stay. Every author will give his own story five stars, then others will give it less to knock it out of the four- or five-star rating. Haha.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Draven Ames's Avatar
    Is it copyright infringement to quote a TV show? If so, I think I need to fix my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronové View Post
    Apparently this forum has a feature that lets you "rate" threads.
    Ah. Thanks.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenwood View Post
    And I imagine that's how it'll stay. Every author will give his own story five stars, then others will give it less to knock it out of the four- or five-star rating. Haha.
    I have to say that once I saw that someone had started rating the threads I had to take action. I certainly value my story at more then one star! I'm also really shocked (not sure why I am) that people will give other peoples stories a one star rating. I've read almost all the stories now and certainly would not consider anyones story to be terrible.

And thread rating has been removed from that section of the forums. Also I bumbed the number of votes required to display the rating up, so that the one's that where already rated no longer display their ratings.

Instagram

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    And thread rating has been removed from that section of the forums. Also I bumbed the number of votes required to display the rating up, so that the one's that where already rated no longer display their ratings.
    Nicely done! Although i was reading stories and tried to give them a rating based on how i really felt about them, i can see how the rating system could be abused.

And as copefiend2, i don't see any stories here that should get 1 star.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Thumbs up for Dan! I think it's better without the thread voting anyway. You wouldn't want to discourage someone from reading a submission if it is rated low or vice versa.

*Decided to edit this post, as I agree with TerryE that it would be a good idea to save the discussions for after the voting ends.

There's always private messeges for getting a discussion going and not worrying about it having any influence on votes.
    Last edited by peteOcha; 06-02-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TerryE's Avatar
    I love the idea of discussion of these stories. I think it would be great if all of us could workshop each other's tales. However I just got to thinking last night that maybe all of that should wait until after the voting is concluded. Reviews and criticism could influence the voting (for good or bad) based on what the voters read. Maybe, after the voting is done, each story thread could be opened for comments from the readers. I'm sure all of us would appreciate the input from our peers. And, hey, any of the pros from Cemetery Dance if they have the time and inclination. But it should definitely wait until after voting.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    I love the idea of discussion of these stories. I think it would be great if all of us could workshop each other's tales. However I just got to thinking last night that maybe all of that should wait until after the voting is concluded. Reviews and criticism could influence the voting (for good or bad) based on what the voters read. Maybe, after the voting is done, each story thread could be opened for comments from the readers. I'm sure all of us would appreciate the input from our peers. And, hey, any of the pros from Cemetery Dance if they have the time and inclination. But it should definitely wait until after voting.
    You know what, that's a really good point. A positive or negative review could influence voting. I didn't think too much of it before posting, just took the thread for what it was and decided it was time to do some discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    This is one of the reason's why I was refraining from commenting on any of the stories I've read till after the voting was over. I however was planning on archiving the submission stories away before the chapbook actually comes out though. That way there's a clean slate for the next contest we do, and if people make tweaks and redo parts of their story they can feel they can reuse them for another contest.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to discuss the stories here though, I was just refraining because I don't want the fact that I'm a CD employee to influence the voting. I will say this, I've only gotten to about 5 of the stories so far, and there hasn't been a bad one in the bunch. In fact 2 of them used some really great imagery.

Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by peteOcha View Post
    *Decided to edit this post, as I agree with TerryE that it would be a good idea to save the discussions for after the voting ends.

There's always private messeges for getting a discussion going and not worrying about it having any influence on votes.
    Thanks for the shout out, peteOcha. Glad I saw it before you edited it. Your comment really made my day.