No announcement yet.

Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While reading the stories, I'm trying make little short-hand notes in the margins (just a few per story), so that I can come back to them and actually post thoughts when everyone agrees it's a good time to offer notes. I tried printing them at first, but there are SOOOOO many, I think I need to just paste them into a doc, then type my notes in the margins.
    www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Also, I just wanna say how amazing this group has been. What a rad bunch of people to enter a contest with.
      www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
        Also, I just wanna say how amazing this group has been. What a rad bunch of people to enter a contest with.
        Agreed, Nik. Very cool. I don't know if this will help, but I've just been jotting notes down in a composition notebook with the title of the story. It has worked well enough.
        My Website

Comment

Thanks! Done and done! I hope you like it, should you read it!
          I'll wait to day's end when the moon is high
          and then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
          amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
          and then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore...

Comment

Well, I have now read 31 of the posted stories (32, if I include my own). Great stuff!

Like others have said, I'm not going to heap praise in any direction until after voting is concluded (and I am certainly not going to cast unsolicited criticism of anybody else's work), but each story I have read has definitely been worth the read.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcraven View Post
              Well, I have now read 31 of the posted stories (32, if I include my own). Great stuff!

Like others have said, I'm not going to heap praise in any direction until after voting is concluded (and I am certainly not going to cast unsolicited criticism of anybody else's work), but each story I have read has definitely been worth the read.
              WOW! You've been busy!
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                WOW! You've been busy!
                Yes, but I'm really enjoying it. My wife keeps reminding I have other things that need doing, but I figure I can do those things tomorrow when my son's summer break starts and I won't have the alone-time to really get into the stories...

Comment

I asked earlier, but it was missed. Is it "Fair Use" to quote a TV show in your story, or is that copyright infringement?

Comment

I've read the first page of stories so far. Everyone is doing such a good job. It will be very hard to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
                      I asked earlier, but it was missed. Is it "Fair Use" to quote a TV show in your story, or is that copyright infringement?
                      Hi Draven- That's a legal question that depends on the unique facts of your endeavor and should be answered by an IP attorney. Without offering a legal opinion on this question, I would bet that some quick online research will lead you to decide that it's best to err on the side of caution. You could probably find a creative way to convey your message while avoiding any potential legal issues.

I look forward to reading your submission- Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
                        I try to never use direct quotes in my writing-makes me nervous! I don't want anyone suing me for the millions of dollars I'm not making Nice to see you made it on here Draven!
                        http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

I can only make an educated guess on this, but based on what I've heard, it might be legal to reference a show, but it may be crossing a line to quote it exactly. It's like with a song; you can use the title as that falls under the Fair Use rules, but you can't quote the lyrics without permission. Logically, it would seem that the same would apply for television shows also. So my guess is that it would be permissible to mention the show, but I would recommend doing some research first. This stuff is readily available if you show a little diligence.
                          "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think quoting anything is legal as long as you site the reference in your work. Don't quote me on that though.
                            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I'm enjoying reading all these stories, and I hope we'll be able to offer feedback on all the stories once voting ends. Thanks for this opportunity!
                              http://www.valmuller.com

Comment

Finally finished editing (yet again, since I also finished last night, lol), which included a name chance from Reset to The Job. Definitely not used to being limited to so few characters
                                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                                Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                                X