Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kenwood View Post
    The bottom line is this: Winning this contest will do you (i.e. any writer here) no favors if you do not truly deserve to win.

HUGE agree.
    www.nikhouser.com

Comment

I know our first few contests over at Shock Totem didn't go over so well.
      I keep missing those and it's killing me. So many great places for writers to meet and talk, and so little time in the day.
      Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
        I keep missing those and it's killing me. So many great places for writers to meet and talk, and so little time in the day.
        Our contest is fun. It's starting to get too popular, though, so we may have to change things up a bit at some point. It works best with a smaller group. Once it hits 30 people, it becomes a little too much for the participants.
        "Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

The Eyesore Times | Shock Totem | Getcha Rocks Off

Comment

Our contest is fun.
          Ya, the peeps at Cafedoom are always talking about it.

On a side note, I am trying to give even the unformatted stories a chance. It can be hard at times though. And I'm not taking notes on any story, but I am not going to cast a vote in any group that I haven't given each story equal opportunity. I likely won't remember everything so that I can be quizzed afterward, but if anyone wants my honest opinion afterward, I will re-read and relay that info. I'll do my best to get to all of them, though.

Like you, I also hope that the real votes will somehow outweigh the solicited ones. As I have said before, it isn't about my story, but I honestly hope the best stories make it through. Let's just see how it plays out. I have been posting the link, but I am asking for people to read the stories prior to voting. I think you are dead on with your assessment though, as to the point that it will not help you.

Comment

Originally posted by the_last_gunslinger View Post
            And this begs the question then: Why do we do it?
            I do it because I love stories. And I love making them up.

Comment

I have to write to keep my sanity. I feel fidgety and mentally constipated if I don't sit down to the keyboard every day. I have several story ideas swimming in my head at any one time and sorting through them and putting them on the page "cleanses" my brain and my soul. I do it because I have to and because I love it.

Comment

Our contest is fun. It's starting to get too popular, though, so we may have to change things up a bit at some point. It works best with a smaller group. Once it hits 30 people, it becomes a little too much for the participants.
                I'll have to check out the contest, Ken. I've been meaning to submit to Shock for a while now.

Comment

I just want to say that this has been a blast! There are so many entertaining stories to read and it's all free. After reading the majority of stories it's a shame that only three will make it into the chapbook.
                  Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
                    I just want to say that this has been a blast! There are so many entertaining stories to read and it's all free. After reading the majority of stories it's a shame that only three will make it into the chapbook.
                    i've got a vacation coming up and I always run out of stuff to read whilst lounging by the pool - I been thinking about printing all these out for my reading pleasure
                    It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Originally posted by spernst View Post
                      off topic-how many posts until we all cease to be "junior" members of the forum?
                      Good question. There really is no difference between junior member and regular member though. The only difference is up until you have posted 5 times, where the first 5 posts of every member have to be moderated.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                        Hey Dan! I have a question-some of these groups appear to be pretty close. What are you going to do in the case that there is a two or three-way tie? Just wondering if you have pondered this?
                        We hadn't really thought about that yet. I'm thinking the CD staff may be the tie breaking vote, this way we do not have to put up another vote and delay the final stage of voting.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
                          Hey Dan, what are your thoughts on creating a community forum here where we can critique each other's stuff on a regular basis? Granted it'd need to be organized, and probably limited so we didn't get overloaded with material, but it seems like it'd be worth a shot. I'd be down. I needs me a writer's group. Anybody wanna chime in?
                          I thought that's what "The Writer's Corner" was for? Maybe I'm not getting what you're getting at.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
                            I agree.

Comment

I think he might be looking for more of a critique group type thing.

Comment

I would also like to go on record and say that I don't think that there has been a lot of people registering here just to vote for their friends. As far as only allowing the writers of the stories to vote on the stories, as long as I'm running these forums that's not going to happen. This is a community and these contest are to bolster and bring the community together, not isolate one section of the community from the rest. I honestly think this contest is going great so far. I personally haven't gotten around to reading all the stories, but I have made a point to go through and read the leading stories. In my personal opinion there are no bad stories among the leaders.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X