Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Contest Entry Discussion

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Most fun I've had in awhile.... Seriously, some great stuff here!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    I'm anxious for the voting portion, but waiting is part of writing. I've had to wait MONTHS to hear if a story has been accepted.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    I'm anxious for the voting portion, but waiting is part of writing. I've had to wait MONTHS to hear if a story has been accepted.
    I'm anxious as well. Just a few more days and the wait will finally be over. Well, that's not 100% true because then we'll all be waiting for the voting portion to be over.

I'm loving this whole Writing Contest atmosphere. It is so much fun and exciting; such a great learning experience! I hope you have these contests more often! Thanks for the great opportunity! Thanks CD & CD Forums staff!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Well, as we enter the homestretch of the submissions period, I have to think Dan's idea was a resounding success. With over a hundred submissions, I'd say this contest has certainly attracted a lot of folks to the forum. Congrats!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Draven Ames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcraven View Post
    Well, as we enter the homestretch of the submissions period, I have to think Dan's idea was a resounding success. With over a hundred submissions, I'd say this contest has certainly attracted a lot of folks to the forum. Congrats!
    No kidding. This contest might have opened the doors for future contests. Let's all hope so.

In the meantime, the waiting has given plenty of time for reading. 60+ down. There are some pearls in here. I'm glad we get more than one vote now.
    Last edited by Draven Ames; 06-07-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draven Ames View Post
    I'm glad we get more than one vote now.

Me too! This is ridiculous - in a good way. I've read some good tales so far.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    Yup, me too.

This was a great idea to generate some excitement and participation.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Junior Member Visitor
    This was a blast- I am loving reading through all these! So much fun... and huge round of applause to all those who entered- writers of the macabre, unite! haha...

Wait, so we get more than 1 vote now???

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    I just hope when voting time rolls in, stories that are really worth it will be picked, that the winner won't be someone who got all his facebook friends to sign up and vote... (i actually read this remark on another forum that was discussing this contest, I think it does bring up a valid concern...)

Now back to reading entries, still got quite a few left so i guess this week i'll be slacking around the office... more than usual that is.

Quote Originally Posted by peteOcha View Post
    I just hope when voting time rolls in, stories that are really worth it will be picked, that the winner won't be someone who got all his facebook friends to sign up and vote... (i actually read this remark on another forum that was discussing this contest, I think it does bring up a valid concern...)

Now back to reading entries, still got quite a few left so i guess this week i'll be slacking around the office... more than usual that is.
    I guess we will have no way of knowing-atleast there are three positions available. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    I guess we will have no way of knowing-atleast there are three positions available. It is what it is.
    Interesting. I just keyword searched twitter etc. and there are indeed folks who are out promoting.

I don't particularly have a problem with it, it's the age of social media. However, I hope ethics will be maintained and those with extensive social media networks will simply ask their followers to check out the contest.

This is my first contest and so far, it's been a great experience. I was motivated to finish and polish a short story, I discovered this forum, and reading the entries has been instructive and entertaining.

Best wishes to everyone,

Katherine

"Cabin Fever" - second last page. :-)

I myself posted the link to this contest on Twitter-encouraging others to participate such as Draven and Gombegger-but I have seen no one actually looking for votes. As of yet anyway!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    So, let me see if I have this right . . .

We get one vote for our favorite story.

Voting goes for a week.

Will the stories still be posted during the voting period? I figure.

The top three stories, by vote, win the lollipops.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Member Part-timer
    I've been afraid of this becoming a "popularity contest" since the beginning. The army always taught me that if "you aren't cheating, you aren't trying". call me cynical, but I'm pretty sure there will be a LOT of people trolling for votes. A friend and I were discussing this, and I think the best way to vote would be to close the vote to only people who submitted, give them 3 votes that can't be used on their own story, and make it a blind vote meaning nobody knows who has the most votes so that they can't intentionally skew the vote. sort of like college football voting lol. thoughts?

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spernst View Post
    I've been afraid of this becoming a "popularity contest" since the beginning. The army always taught me that if "you aren't cheating, you aren't trying". call me cynical, but I'm pretty sure there will be a LOT of people trolling for votes. A friend and I were discussing this, and I think the best way to vote would be to close the vote to only people who submitted, give them 3 votes that can't be used on their own story, and make it a blind vote meaning nobody knows who has the most votes so that they can't intentionally skew the vote. sort of like college football voting lol. thoughts?
    Sorry, not going to happen. From the beginning this was advertised as a forum community vote. Where the forum community gets to vote and choose the winners.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar
    Regardless of what the outcome is, I am glad to have found this forum, and am grateful for the chance at an incredible opportunity.

For those worrying, I would think the majority of the people who take the time to write a story for this are professional enough to avoid something like that. Besides, I would think it would be incredibly obvious if that did happen, as I would think all of the final winners would be in the tops of almost everyone's list. If not, I think that would be clear as day. No offense intended to anyone of course.

Anyway, all speculation of collusion and such aside, good luck to everyone in the contest!

Quote Originally Posted by njhorror View Post

The top three stories, by vote, win the lollipops.

We get lollipops? Sweet!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Since one of the primary purposes, if not THE primary purpose, of this contest is to attract people to CD's new forum, the bringing in of friends to vote is not likely to be discouraged, let alone disallowed. The recruiting of votes is a tough call, and I am not doing it. Obviously, each of us would like to be published in the book, but it doesn't really help a writer to have one's name floating around over a substandard piece. Coming from CD, this book may be read by a lot of folks- I only want people seeing my name under a title if it is deserving of publication. As such, I'm going to let it play out and hope that my story is well received. Besides, if this becomes a popularity contest, well, I've never won one of those, and I wouldn't expect to start now.

I hope the most deserving stories win. Again, a big Thank You to Dan and CD for opening up this opportunity to us, and congrats to CD on all the new faces brought to the forum through this event (including mine)!

Junior Member Visitor
    On the forum I usually post on, I asked folks to come over to read the stories. I told them I don't care how, or if, they vote, as long as they come and read. I know they'll give me some feedback and, while winning would be nice, getting better from some constructive criticism is more what it's about, especially if there's another contest like this one.