Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    as i already stated, this contest inspired me to get off my lazy ass, not literally, and do some writing. plus it has introduced me to some awesome writers. i just hope the activity doenst drop once its over
    I'm in the exact same boat there, RJ and that is truly the best thing to come out of this. The next best is getting to know all of you new usual suspects and the support group that we're creating. I really am inspired, too.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
      I'm sure it will drop some, once we get over the OCD impulse to check the polls, but I bet it levels off to a decent activity! I, for one, plan to continue and bug the crap out of you all
      +1

And I've been reading way more than I've been posting.

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
        I'm sure it will drop some, once we get over the OCD impulse to check the polls, but I bet it levels off to a decent activity! I, for one, plan to continue and bug the crap out of you all
        Of course it will drop some, but i'd have no problem putting money down on who is going to be hanging around, easy to see who's active in other areas besides the contest.

Comment

Thanks to the couple of people that voted for my story. I know it wasn't that good but it was my first time "putting something our there" and I'm pretty happy with it. This has been a positive experience for me so I want to give big props to CD for putting on the contest....Thanks CD!
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by mercuryval View Post
            I wonder this as well, Nik. I cut down a 5,400-word story to around 2,000. It cut a lot, but I think it cleaned it up, too.
            My original completed version was a whopping 750 words. It took me a bit of finagling to get it to its submitted length here of about 1850.

Comment

Final night of voting and I am nervous as hell as I keep envisioning an eSnipe nightmare each time I check the polls. Well at least the alligator seems to be enjoying himself as he incessantly lectures me on the theories of Adler, Jung, and Freud, the pompous lizard.

Comment

i was thinking the same thing, but didn't dare speak it out loud - VOLDEMORT - there, i feel better
                FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Well, I confess to feeling somewhat blue at not making the finals. The story that beat mine was one of the top vote-getters in the entire contest. A hard fight! What did you guys think of "Meat Socks?" Seems like a lot of people were really struck by this one, as it got almost 50 votes.
                  www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
                    Well, I confess to feeling somewhat blue at not making the finals. The story that beat mine was one of the top vote-getters in the entire contest. A hard fight! What did you guys think of "Meat Socks?" Seems like a lot of people were really struck by this one, as it got almost 50 votes.
                    i understand, Nik. I never expected anything from this but my type A personality is frustrated. I was tied for third for a long time and then actually sent the link to my co-workers who had no idea I write as a hobby. I got a few votes from it but like clockwork, the story with which i was tied got a vote minutes after I got one.... this was a frustrating contest; i doubt i'll ever enter any other "vote" like contests
                    It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Had to check as soon as I woke up this morning. Oh, it's agonizing! I've somehow pulled within 2 votes at the last minute! But I just don't think I'm going to make it. Next time. I know I can, I know I can, I know I can.

RJ, don't let the voting format here deter you in the future. You're going to be getting better, and the luck of the draw for your division will always have something to do with the results. You definitely won't win if you don't play. Plus you've made some new friends here on the forum that may you in the future.

And Nik, I think the title of Meat Socks may have been enough to get half of its votes. You gotta admit, it's interesting.
                      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Oh I know, terry. My 'win' is making new friends here. my competitive side though is taking a beating
                        It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Well it was fun to be a part of something as big as this. Many thanks to you Dan and Cemetery Dance for giving us all the chance to show our wares to the unsuspecting world! I was really impressed by the volume of entries and the talent on display. It is always tough 'judging' creative writing as everything is subjective but a big thank you to everyone who did put the time and effort in to do so. Double thanks to those that voted for my story. Writing is a long walk down a lonely road and it is only occasions like these where we can get any independent validation. I know my ten votes will sustain me for a while and keep the muse fed.

Well done to Nikita whose 'Meat Socks' is a very worthy winner in my group and a suitably squirmy read! Comiserations to second placed Nik Houser's 'American Inferno' - another strong entry. To come in behind you guys is no shame. Grats to all the other winners too - let this be the momentum that keeps your internal fires lit and your wheels turning. Good luck to us all!

Comment

just droppin in to say congrats to the winners! good luck in the next round.

Comment

I have to agree. I had a blast in this contest checking the polls every day and jabber-jawing with some really great people who share the same interest in horror writing as I enjoy the genre. Congratulations to all the contestants (new friends) who are, in my book, all winners. Thank you Dan, for all your hard work on this contest. I appreciate the votes for Unknown Caller on the Caller ID, the shortest little darling in my horphanage. (Most of what I write hovers around 6500 - 14,000 words.) It was fun, Ya'll. And I learned something, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
                                I have to tell you Nik, I thought your story was fantastic. I really did. If my story hadn't ended up in the same group, I would have easily voted for yours--if it's any consolation.

Comment

Working...
                                X