Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
    except you might pair three of the best stories in one group, thereby losing good stories.
    yeah, I could see that happening. I mean, they will be randomized, but it is still a possibility that a story that was a potential winner in the contest will not make it through because it was paired with other good ones.

Comment

Everything is possible here, but I think this gives the fairest chance to everyone. It also provides more opportunities for people to vote fairly, as if they don't have time to read all the stories then they can read all the stories in a single group and only vote in that specific group. Also everyone who is a registered member of this forum gets to vote, not just people who entered the contest. Also this solves the problem we talked about earlier about offering the option for everyone to vote for their 3 favorites.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I think this is the best solution in a tough situation. I also really like the idea that if someone doesn't have time to read all the entries, they could instead read all the stories in one 10 story bunch, and vote on the ones in that bunch.

QUESTION: How long will the voting process be? A week, like the chapbook title?
        www.nikhouser.com

Comment

You could do it all March Madness bracket like
          Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
            I think this is the best solution in a tough situation. I also really like the idea that if someone doesn't have time to read all the entries, they could instead read all the stories in one 10 story bunch, and vote on the ones in that bunch.

QUESTION: How long will the voting process be? A week, like the chapbook title?
            I haven't decided yet. I am thinking a week or two on the first phase of voting, and a week for the final phase.
            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Sounds like you've come up with a good, fair solution. It's very exciting to have this opportunity - but the wait is going to kill us!
              Visit my horror/crime fiction blog October Country.
              Stalk me on Twitter: @BluGilliand.

Comment

I like this way much better than everything being in one poll, seems much more fair to those involved Seems very similar to the idea I had, though I'm sure only the top winner from each poll will move on. I am sure it'd also be more work to split them up by the amount of views they have had
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

I don't think there is any perfect way to do this. I just hope there are at least two votes next to my name...LOL
                  Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                    yeah, I could see that happening. I mean, they will be randomized, but it is still a possibility that a story that was a potential winner in the contest will not make it through because it was paired with other good ones.
                    An online writing contest I entered last year that ended up with a whole lotta entries handled the situation a little like this:

The entries were grouped into sets of 10. Sets would be released every two days or so. You could vote for your favorite three per set, and those three would move on to a semi-final (or possibly quarter-final, depending on the number). The top three from the semi-final rounds would then be grouped into a final round, and the top three there were declared the winners.

I can't remember how long the overall process took. I think the voting process was open for five days per set (so it would be possible to vote in any set that was open until the next round began), but I'm not entirely sure.

Of course, by this point, this would probably just complicate things more.

Comment

Originally posted by WesleySouthard View Post
                      Ok, I'm kinda pissed at myself. I just re-read my story and realized I'm missing several words here and there. I do this crap all the time.
                      I know how that is. I reread my story many times while editing it down to the character count limit and even when I finished with that, I let it sit until the next day and read it one last time and found words missing
                      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                      Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                        I know how that is. I reread my story many times while editing it down to the character count limit and even when I finished with that, I let it sit until the next day and read it one last time and found words missing
                        I always seem to do that. When i read my own work and there is a word missing my brain just sometimes automatically fills it in and i keep on going.

Comment

Hi all,

Just wanted to mention that I love what I'm seeing here so far. It really bugs me that I might not have a chance to get through all the submissions in time for the vote. I'll definitely try. I'm wondering how everyone else is dealing with that.

Best of luck.

Comment

I hear you, Patrick. I am really enjoying reading all these as well, but I can't seem to stay ahead of the curve- Ive read just over 40 so far. I imagine several will come in in the next 48 hours as the weekend comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                              My feedback wouldn't be much more than which one's I liked and didn't. I actually don't really know much about writing or any of that. So the feedback I could give really wouldn't be of much help.
                              Hey, you know enough to have noticed the imagery in some of the stories.
                              Maybe the CD editor(s) could offer their feedback. It would be an invaluable learning experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch View Post
                                Hey, you know enough to have noticed the imagery in some of the stories.
                                Maybe the CD editor(s) could offer their feedback. It would be an invaluable learning experience.
                                I second this. It would be greatly appreciated.
                                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X