Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spernst View Post
    I've been afraid of this becoming a "popularity contest" since the beginning. The army always taught me that if "you aren't cheating, you aren't trying". call me cynical, but I'm pretty sure there will be a LOT of people trolling for votes. A friend and I were discussing this, and I think the best way to vote would be to close the vote to only people who submitted, give them 3 votes that can't be used on their own story, and make it a blind vote meaning nobody knows who has the most votes so that they can't intentionally skew the vote. sort of like college football voting lol. thoughts?
    Sorry, not going to happen. From the beginning this was advertised as a forum community vote. Where the forum community gets to vote and choose the winners.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Regardless of what the outcome is, I am glad to have found this forum, and am grateful for the chance at an incredible opportunity.

For those worrying, I would think the majority of the people who take the time to write a story for this are professional enough to avoid something like that. Besides, I would think it would be incredibly obvious if that did happen, as I would think all of the final winners would be in the tops of almost everyone's list. If not, I think that would be clear as day. No offense intended to anyone of course.

Anyway, all speculation of collusion and such aside, good luck to everyone in the contest!
      Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by njhorror View Post

The top three stories, by vote, win the lollipops.

We get lollipops? Sweet!

http://louis-eldest.livejournal.com/

Comment

Since one of the primary purposes, if not THE primary purpose, of this contest is to attract people to CD's new forum, the bringing in of friends to vote is not likely to be discouraged, let alone disallowed. The recruiting of votes is a tough call, and I am not doing it. Obviously, each of us would like to be published in the book, but it doesn't really help a writer to have one's name floating around over a substandard piece. Coming from CD, this book may be read by a lot of folks- I only want people seeing my name under a title if it is deserving of publication. As such, I'm going to let it play out and hope that my story is well received. Besides, if this becomes a popularity contest, well, I've never won one of those, and I wouldn't expect to start now.

I hope the most deserving stories win. Again, a big Thank You to Dan and CD for opening up this opportunity to us, and congrats to CD on all the new faces brought to the forum through this event (including mine)!

Comment

On the forum I usually post on, I asked folks to come over to read the stories. I told them I don't care how, or if, they vote, as long as they come and read. I know they'll give me some feedback and, while winning would be nice, getting better from some constructive criticism is more what it's about, especially if there's another contest like this one.

Comment

Tried to get my tale in at the last moment (still displaying 108 threads in the contest out of the 110 available) but its displaying that i dont have permission to post on that page

Comment

Originally posted by Thad Linson View Post
                On the forum I usually post on, I asked folks to come over to read the stories. I told them I don't care how, or if, they vote, as long as they come and read. I know they'll give me some feedback and, while winning would be nice, getting better from some constructive criticism is more what it's about, especially if there's another contest like this one.
                I still have two spots. PM me to work something out.

Instagram

Comment

Sorry, not going to happen. From the beginning this was advertised as a forum community vote. Where the forum community gets to vote and choose the winners.
                  meh. whatever the voting system and whatever the outcome, I hope everyone had fun with their story, and I'm glad for the opportunity. Thanks CD!

Comment

Very well put, Thad!
                    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Hrm...I've got my entry ready, but can't seem to figure out how to post it. Anyone have any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by EdLinskey View Post
                        Hrm...I've got my entry ready, but can't seem to figure out how to post it. Anyone have any advice?
                        Sorry Ed, but it looks like you missed the submission window. Hold onto your story for the next contest though, since this one seems to have been such a success I am positive we will do more contests like this.

Instagram

Comment

I just ran into the same situation; it's showing 109 entries but I can't post. I had my hopes up that I'd make it in one of the final 2 slots, but apparently it wasn't to be this time. At least I have something ready if there's another contest in the future and my job once again prevents me from getting in as much writing time as I'd like.

Plus, there's still the Cover Artwork contest. Time to get started so I don't run down to the wire on that one.

Comment

Congrats to everybody that submitted, and thanks. It is one thing to send a story to a publisher, and it quite another to put your work out there for your fellow writers to review. It's scary and takes some guts. I am really enjoying these stories and I appreciate the opportunity to read them and learn from each of you.

Now, good luck!

Comment

I am glad that we will still be able to see the stories when voting. Though I am confident I will get through the twenty or so I have left, after reading so many submissions, my brain is mush. It will be nice to be able to take a peek at each one and remind myself what they are about before I vote! Good Luck everyone and thanks Dan for the opportunity!
                              http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                                I am glad that we will still be able to see the stories when voting. Though I am confident I will get through the twenty or so I have left, after reading so many submissions, my brain is mush. It will be nice to be able to take a peek at each one and remind myself what they are about before I vote! Good Luck everyone and thanks Dan for the opportunity!
                                No problem. This voting system was really the only way I will be able to place my vote. There's no way I'd be able to remember enough details to compare all these stories otherwise.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X