Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Contest Entry Discussion

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcraven View Post
    As for number of votes, this was discussed briefly on page 2 of this thread, and Dan said he originally preferred each person to have 3 unique votes, but the way the forum polls are designed it is either 1 vote or unlimited votes.

I share many of the concerns you guys have voiced, but I have one concern that overshadows my others: if this becomes a headache for Dan and CD, they may not want to do this again.
    I feel for those who are arranging this. I think they will come up with whatever they come up with, and the nervousness of waiting a whole week for a vote, just has everyone speculating. I will leave it up to them and accept whatever they do. If anyone disagrees with the voting process (including myself), they can just opt out of any further contests.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Draven Ames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    I feel for those who are arranging this. I think they will come up with whatever they come up with, and the nervousness of waiting a whole week for a vote, just has everyone speculating. I will leave it up to them and accept whatever they do. If anyone disagrees with the voting process (including myself), they can just opt out of any further contests.
    +1

chickenfeet
    all uv da entrees r gr8

so many

i luv em alll

Quote Originally Posted by chickenfeet View Post
    all uv da entrees r gr8

so many

i luv em alll
    I know! So much horror goodness. I feel like I'm getting $75 worth of free reads just by playing along with the contest. Awesome sauce. :-D

Junior Member Visitor
    Out of curiosity do you know how the voting is going to work?

Junior Member Visitor
    As a new writer any critique is valuable, from other enthusiasts as well as the pros. Hell of a good idea.

Administrator Lobotomized Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooks View Post
    Out of curiosity do you know how the voting is going to work?
    Ok, so we've just figured out how we're going to handle voting. We've had to change our strategy here due to the number of entries into the contest. Here's how it's going to work. When the submission period is over, I will take all of the stories and put them into a spreadsheet and randomize the order. Then we will vote in groups of 10 via a forum poll. Once the preliminary vote is over we will have a final round vote to determine the winners. Each vote thread will also have a link to each story in it to make it easier for people to read then vote. Hopefully this seems fair to everyone. We really just felt like having one large vote with all the stories in them would just make everyone kind of glaze over while looking at them.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Member Part-timer
    Ok, I'm kinda pissed at myself. I just re-read my story and realized I'm missing several words here and there. I do this crap all the time.

Member Part-timer
    What is the official voting day? Despite having a horse in the race if I don't write it down my poor scatter brain will probably forget...

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Draven Ames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Ok, so we've just figured out how we're going to handle voting. We've had to change our strategy here due to the number of entries into the contest. Here's how it's going to work. When the submission period is over, I will take all of the stories and put them into a spreadsheet and randomize the order. Then we will vote in groups of 10 via a forum poll. Once the preliminary vote is over we will have a final round vote to determine the winners. Each vote thread will also have a link to each story in it to make it easier for people to read then vote. Hopefully this seems fair to everyone. We really just felt like having one large vote with all the stories in them would just make everyone kind of glaze over while looking at them.
    So we will be voting on 10 stories at a time, top 1 progresses in each round? Sounds fair, except you might pair three of the best stories in one group, thereby losing good stories. But it is better than everyone voting on themselves. Will people still be able to vote if they didn't enter the competition?

I will say that I am impressed that Cemetery Dance is adjusting as they see possible problems.
    Last edited by Draven Ames; 06-03-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven Ames View Post
    except you might pair three of the best stories in one group, thereby losing good stories.
    yeah, I could see that happening. I mean, they will be randomized, but it is still a possibility that a story that was a potential winner in the contest will not make it through because it was paired with other good ones.

Everything is possible here, but I think this gives the fairest chance to everyone. It also provides more opportunities for people to vote fairly, as if they don't have time to read all the stories then they can read all the stories in a single group and only vote in that specific group. Also everyone who is a registered member of this forum gets to vote, not just people who entered the contest. Also this solves the problem we talked about earlier about offering the option for everyone to vote for their 3 favorites.

Instagram

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Nik Houser's Avatar
    I think this is the best solution in a tough situation. I also really like the idea that if someone doesn't have time to read all the entries, they could instead read all the stories in one 10 story bunch, and vote on the ones in that bunch.

QUESTION: How long will the voting process be? A week, like the chapbook title?

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar
    You could do it all March Madness bracket like

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Houser View Post
    I think this is the best solution in a tough situation. I also really like the idea that if someone doesn't have time to read all the entries, they could instead read all the stories in one 10 story bunch, and vote on the ones in that bunch.

QUESTION: How long will the voting process be? A week, like the chapbook title?
    I haven't decided yet. I am thinking a week or two on the first phase of voting, and a week for the final phase.

Instagram

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Sounds like you've come up with a good, fair solution. It's very exciting to have this opportunity - but the wait is going to kill us!
    Visit my horror/crime fiction blog October Country.
    Stalk me on Twitter: @BluGilliand.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    I like this way much better than everything being in one poll, seems much more fair to those involved Seems very similar to the idea I had, though I'm sure only the top winner from each poll will move on. I am sure it'd also be more work to split them up by the amount of views they have had

TPS Report Monitor 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    I don't think there is any perfect way to do this. I just hope there are at least two votes next to my name...LOL

Member Part-timer portrait in flesh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peteOcha View Post
    yeah, I could see that happening. I mean, they will be randomized, but it is still a possibility that a story that was a potential winner in the contest will not make it through because it was paired with other good ones.
    An online writing contest I entered last year that ended up with a whole lotta entries handled the situation a little like this:

The entries were grouped into sets of 10. Sets would be released every two days or so. You could vote for your favorite three per set, and those three would move on to a semi-final (or possibly quarter-final, depending on the number). The top three from the semi-final rounds would then be grouped into a final round, and the top three there were declared the winners.

I can't remember how long the overall process took. I think the voting process was open for five days per set (so it would be possible to vote in any set that was open until the next round began), but I'm not entirely sure.

Of course, by this point, this would probably just complicate things more.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleySouthard View Post
    Ok, I'm kinda pissed at myself. I just re-read my story and realized I'm missing several words here and there. I do this crap all the time.
    I know how that is. I reread my story many times while editing it down to the character count limit and even when I finished with that, I let it sit until the next day and read it one last time and found words missing