Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    No problem. This voting system was really the only way I will be able to place my vote. There's no way I'd be able to remember enough details to compare all these stories otherwise.
    I like the voting system. I can easily read ten stories in one sitting and decide on my favourite. Reading 110 and trying to decide on a favourite...my head hurts just thinking about it.

I've read quite a few already and I have a suggestion for some of the submissions where it looks like the spacing formatting was lost when posted. It is possible to go in and correct the formatting by clicking "edit post". Adding back the spaces between paragraphs will make the stories much easier to read and consider.

Cheers,

Katherine

Comment

Yeah, with so many stories read in such a short amount of time it's hard to keep track of them. Good thing I took some notes, when the time to vote comes I'll just refer to them and read any of the last few that I have missed.

Comment

Have someone else read it. I'm sure they'll catch the missing words if you don't.
        Once I decide that a story of mine is reader for "public viewing," I ask my wife to examine it both for quality (grammar, spelling, missing words, etc.) and for content (subject matter, plot, character arc, etc.). She's a great resource because she's a non-genre reader, so I feel like she reads my stories with much more objectivity than a horror enthusiast (like myself) would read it. So my advice is to find someone like that to review your work. In fact, some of my wife's suggestions have improved several of my stories that I'd given up on as being hopeless.
        "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

All right, so I get that no more submissions are being accepted, but when exactly does the voting start? Today? I can't remember seeing that answer anywhere, unless I just missed it. Good luck to all--I've read some really great stuff on here! I'm not expecting to win, personally, but I would love some constructive criticism.

Comment

Sorry Ed, but it looks like you missed the submission window. Hold onto your story for the next contest though, since this one seems to have been such a success I am positive we will do more contests like this.
            Seriously? I thought the submission deadline was 6-8 @ midnite. That's tonight as far as I'm concerned. It appears there was a 110 entry limit from reading the posts...somehow, I missed that tidbit. Oh well, next time, I s'pose. At least I have a story to submit if/when the next contest rolls around!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryserfan View Post
              Seriously? I thought the submission deadline was 6-8 @ midnite. That's tonight as far as I'm concerned. It appears there was a 110 entry limit from reading the posts...somehow, I missed that tidbit. Oh well, next time, I s'pose. At least I have a story to submit if/when the next contest rolls around!!
              The dedline was 7 days from when the the contest started. The contest started on the 31st of last month at 2 pm. I closed it yesterday at 4 pm. Almost everywhere I mentioned the contest I told everyone to not wait to the last minute, and that it would be best if everyone go it in early. 110 wasn't the entry limit, there where just 108 entries when I closed it and splitting it up evenly was just easier at 110, so I said first come first serve on those other two spots.
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by CoreyMaida View Post
                All right, so I get that no more submissions are being accepted, but when exactly does the voting start? Today? I can't remember seeing that answer anywhere, unless I just missed it. Good luck to all--I've read some really great stuff on here! I'm not expecting to win, personally, but I would love some constructive criticism.
                Today, I think. I saw Dan was creating a thread when I checked to see who was online, so lets hope that's the voting thread!

Comment

Originally posted by CoreyMaida View Post
                  Voting will start today. I am currently in the process of making the vote threads which will go live once I have them all completed. It's an awful lot of work, so it could take awhile.

Instagram

Comment

Though I'm not entered in the contest, thanks for all of your effort in this contest Dan!!! It's a great chance for new writers. Great idea!!

Comment

I want to echo what bsaenz24 said. Thanks Dan, it's a heckuva lot of work. Much obliged!
                      www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Im sorry, i thought i read somwhere that Submissions were open till June 8th, not June 7th. i missed the deadline???

Comment

The dedline was 7 days from when the the contest started. The contest started on the 31st of last month at 2 pm. I closed it yesterday at 4 pm. Almost everywhere I mentioned the contest I told everyone to not wait to the last minute, and that it would be best if everyone go it in early. 110 wasn't the entry limit, there where just 108 entries when I closed it and splitting it up evenly was just easier at 110, so I said first come first serve on those other two spots.
                          Thanks for the explanation Dan. I buy quite a few books but I don't hang out in the forums much so I missed a lot of info. I just saw the contest info a couple of days ago but obviously didn't read the rules correctly. Not a problem but I do hope you do this again! I've always wanted to write a short story and never had a deadline for inspiration. It was amazing how the words just poured out!! This will give me a chance to polish my story for next time!! Back to reading...man 110 stories is an impressive result and some are amazing!!

Thanks again!!

Max

Comment

Yeah, me too.

Job well done.
                            Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                            Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I posted a clarification in the announcement. I do believe I may have miss spoke or miss counted somewhere along the lines and may have said the 8th. However the rules stated that the contest would be open for 1 weeks time and the contest opened on the 31st of May. Sorry again for any confusion that may have caused anyone.

Instagram

Comment

Ohh, lol. alright Dan, thanks again for the hard work in this contest. Ill just save the story i worte for it for next time. Great submission's btw, i loved reading them.

Comment

Working...
                                X