Looking for feedback on Artwork Portfolios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for feedback on Artwork Portfolios

I'm looking for some feedback from our collectors about artwork portfolios. For those of you who didn't see the one we made for IT, here are some photos:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/201...ork-portfolio/

That was obviously based on the one I made for Blockade Billy for LRB:

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/photo...lockade-billy/

I really liked how the IT project turned out, but the accountant probably would have killed me if Richard would have allowed him because the actual portfolios came in at twice the allotted budget before a piece of artwork was even printed or the artists were paid. Oops!

Those of you who own the IT Artwork Portfolio, do you like the actual portfolio? To do something similar in the future, we would have to charge more to make the math work.

We could also do something less elaborate and price it LOWER. Perhaps a glossy folder with two pockets, no ribbon closure, and 8.5 X 11 artwork instead of 11 X 14. This would be simpler and more affordable, but still a nice presentation.

One thing I'm pretty set on: for future portfolios, there will be at least a few additional pieces of artwork that did NOT appear in the book.

Thoughts? Feedback?

Best,
    Brian
    Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

I like them the way they are. Unfortunately, that may not work out for you guys. You could in all honestly price them higher because of their popularity(If they are king portfolios of course) I could probably easily sell mine right now for several hundred dollars seeing as there are so few and no one selling them. You can't even price compare because no one is willing to part with them. So you could charge more, It may not sit well with some of your customers who can't afford more but they will still sell. Personally, at a higher price point I probably couldn't purchase another but at the same time if you were to use a cheap folio such as a glossy folder, I probably wouldnt even want to buy it to begin with.

I am no business expert but if it were me I would put the price up rather than decrease the quality of the item. There are still a lot of people out there willing to spend more, if there were not then there wouldn't be such an increase in value in the aftermarket products.

Comment

To me - I'd rather see the higher quality product (size shouldn't matter too much) even if it means a higher price, as these are limited production pieces, and there are some who are willing and able to pay for them. The IT portfolio was obviously announced and released/sold before I was a member here, but from the link they looks fantastic, and I am certain price should reflect the quality, as opposed to making something special like this more affordable at the cost of quality of product.

Comment

Why not try both options? (at least once to see how it goes). Have a limited version of the art portfolio which keeps the high quality and goes up in price so you don't lose money on selling it. Then have a "trade" version of the portfolio for those who want a nice set of art but can't/won't fork over the cash for the premium version.

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
          Why not try both options? (at least once to see how it goes). Have a limited version of the art portfolio which keeps the high quality and goes up in price so you don't lose money on selling it. Then have a "trade" version of the portfolio for those who want a nice set of art but can't/won't fork over the cash for the premium version.
          That's an interesting idea! I'll run some numbers and talk to the contributors and see what everyone thinks. They might want to keep it "simple" by having one version, etc. But you don't know until you kick around some ideas.

Thanks!

Brian
          Brian James Freeman

Comment

I consider portfolios to be more of a higher end item, so I would lean towards a higher price rather than an inferior product.

Comment

What was the buy price on the IT portfolio?

I like the durability of the case, which is a problem with most portfolios. They tend to be in envelopes which makes them vulnerable to damage as they are an odd size and hard to store. A folder would have pretty much the same problem, not firm enough to really stand up right on the shelf and usually end up in a drawer were it sits forgotten and not really enjoyed beyond the initial look thru. I assume though that the case is a major cost component as far a production cost outside of what the artist's receive. Quality printing is not cheap, the ones I do cost me $5 per piece and are not top of the line by no means, so figure that times the number prints in each set...yowza!!!

I think the idea of a few pieces being exclusive to the set is nice and adds that element of extra desirability. Plus you could offer an opportunity for an original by Glen "the sketch machine" Chadbourne, the man is prolific.
              If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

Originally posted by paperdragon View Post
                What was the buy price on the IT portfolio?

I like the durability of the case, which is a problem with most portfolios. They tend to be in envelopes which makes them vulnerable to damage as they are an odd size and hard to store. A folder would have pretty much the same problem, not firm enough to really stand up right on the shelf and usually end up in a drawer were it sits forgotten and not really enjoyed beyond the initial look thru. I assume though that the case is a major cost component as far a production cost outside of what the artist's receive. Quality printing is not cheap, the ones I do cost me $5 per piece and are not top of the line by no means, so figure that times the number prints in each set...yowza!!!

I think the idea of a few pieces being exclusive to the set is nice and adds that element of extra desirability. Plus you could offer an opportunity for an original by Glen "the sketch machine" Chadbourne, the man is prolific.
                They where $85 a set.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

That's actually a pretty good deal from the looks of what was offered.

Comment

One of the comic companies, IDW maybe?, does something called Artist Editions. They're pretty big and I like them. It's a hard case, folder style, with most of the info printed on them. Then they have a few sheets of artwork blown up to the original size that slide in a pocket. I think they go for about $75 a pop.

Found them, but I didn't know they had a limited version.

http://idwlimited.com/bernie-wrights...d-edition.html

Comment

I have the original color production work for one of the pages from "Muck Monster" which is the 12 page story that the IDW Bernie Wrightson portfolio was comprised of.

Its composed of two pieces, one being the clear acetate which contains the black line work

The next page is a hand colored sheet

And here you have the two combined...clear acetate overlaying the color work
                      Last edited by paperdragon; 08-12-2013, 09:46 PM.
                      If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
                        That's an interesting idea! I'll run some numbers and talk to the contributors and see what everyone thinks. They might want to keep it "simple" by having one version, etc. But you don't know until you kick around some ideas.

Thanks!

Brian
                        Glad I could help!

Comment

This is so cool. I always like seeing how things like this come together. On the art portfolio I do think raising the price is a better fit. I passed on the It art portfolio not my thing. I like the art work just as I weed through things I am trying to put priorities on the tings I want to keep the most.
                          Originally posted by paperdragon View Post
                          I have the original color production work for one of the pages from "Muck Monster" which is the 12 page story that the IDW Bernie Wrightson portfolio was comprised of.

Its composed of two pieces, one being the clear acetate which contains the black line work

The next page is a hand colored sheet

And here you have the two combined...clear acetate overlaying the color work

Comment

I bought the It portfolio, and I'd say keep the quality and raise the price if necessary.

The only thing I'd change is the ribbon closure. Personally, I'd prefer a magnetic closure, as the ribbon just seems like the one thing that will deteriorate over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                              I bought the It portfolio, and I'd say keep the quality and raise the price if necessary.

The only thing I'd change is the ribbon closure. Personally, I'd prefer a magnetic closure, as the ribbon just seems like the one thing that will deteriorate over time.
                              I can definitely look into that. I didn't like the ribbons because I had trouble tying them.

Brian
                              Brian James Freeman

Comment

Working...
                              X