Thread: Collecting: Older BotMC vs. Newer Versions

Junior Member Visitor

Collecting: Older BotMC vs. Newer Versions

I have been collecting, very modest, getting all works in hardcover, and I had a question for other collector's of Mr. King's work:

Is it better to have an older, beat up dust jacket copy of a Book of the Month Club copy or a newer, nicer dust jacket copy of a regular for sale version of the book. I ask becauase I had to pick up a large lot of books to get a couple of copies of things I wanted and now I have a decision to make on what to keep and what to resell. I'm not a big money first edition collector, just a fan!

Aesthetics-wise I enjoy the binding on the older Book of the Month club versions because they have the bi-color cloth and board style as opposed to the solid board style hardcover.

Thanks for any advice!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    My rule of the thumb is buy the best you can afford, Improve as you go along and collect what You Love, not what others tell you, you should Love. I have lots of great paperbacks, BOMCs and even a few Ex-library copies. I'll never be able to affors those sweet Bradbury firsts I would like, so I have not problem having nice later or even BOMC copies.
    Welcome aboard. I think you'll find lots of nice people here.
    MDH

I would echo the same thoughts. Collect what makes you happy. A lot of my own King books were a gift from a friend who passed away. Some are the book club editions, some smell a little like my friend's pipe. They will never be worth anything from a Sotheby's point of view but they add character and intrinsic value to my library. They will stay with me, that's what is important truly but I can only speak for myself.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication subie09lega's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
    I would echo the same thoughts. Collect what makes you happy. A lot of my own King books were a gift from a friend who passed away. Some are the book club editions, some smell a little like my friend's pipe. They will never be worth anything from a Sotheby's point of view but they add character and intrinsic value to my library. They will stay with me, that's what is important truly but I can only speak for myself.
    Completely agree here. I heard someone say to the effect that collectors don't have anything but first editions in their collection but I say people can collect whatever they want. If you like what you have, what does it matter what others say?

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TerryE's Avatar
    Neither is a first print, so the monetary value is probably similar. Keep the version you like best.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

True, what is remarkable is when a signature of King is on there the value goes to the moon. It's impressive.