Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 700 of 746

Thread: Production Update Questions

  1. #681
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,475
    Rep Power
    12
    Thank you for the update. Business is fun, fun, fun!

  2. #682
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,498
    Rep Power
    50
    Although I don't have a dog in the fight as far as SB, I do appreciate the transparency when it can be provided. I think most of us (collectors) will be ok as long as we know what's going on. It's the not knowing or not being informed that's killer. Understanding that you (CD) can't always provided details due to obligations and whatnot.

    I'm a relatively new collector among most here (5 years or less) but, when a big title is announced by CD, I've come to expect a 2 to 3 year turnaround. That's probably not the case with every title and a generalization. From the outside looking in; I believe most of these projects are funded up front via preorders and the delay begins immediately because the project hasn't started yet. The amount of money it would take to get a big project off the ground and then sell it is probably tremendous. The only way for us not see the long delays would be to wait until the project is weeks away from completion and then an announcement could be made. When we preorder, we're there for every delay. Of course, many of these big productions would never get off the ground without up front funding I'm assuming. Just an opinion from a guy who has no clue what it takes to run a publishing company

  3. #683
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    656
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Now that Sleeping Beauties is done, we can share something that was happening behind the scenes...

    As you all know by now, last June one of our printers closed their doors without warning -- and with Sleeping Beauties and other projects trapped inside. (And their deposit payments, never to be seen again, unfortunately.)

    We shifted gears, moved the projects around to our other two printers, and got things rolling again... but a few weeks after we started Sleeping Beauties at the oldest of our printers, the one we printed our very first book with in 1992 (!), they also privately notified us that they had entered bankruptcy proceedings...

    This slowed the production process WAY down, which is why the printing took nearly six months to finish. Every time they went to order in a special material, they had to pay upfront, etc. Theyíve been losing trained staff along the way as people have left. Our favorite account rep at any of the vendors we work with had to bail, which Iím still bummed about.

    We also didnít -- for the obvious reasons -- start any new books with them! That means a lot of books have been getting to the "ready for the printer" stage without one of our main printers to go to...

    The good news is, one of our other printers has completed the process of buying our original printer out of bankruptcy! Their facility is getting rolled into this much bigger and healthier company, and lots of books will get rolling again this summer! The list of books we have ready to printer is long, though, so we're still figuring out how to juggle what needs done. We'll post more specific updates as the plans lock into place.

    Also, we didnít post about this situation sooner because we knew they would finish Sleeping Beauties no matter how the process played out, even if it was the last book they printed and there was one guy there doing it by candlelight, and generally speaking we didnít want to cause a panic among our collectors given the trouble this book had already gone through.

    Thanks again for your patience, and we look forward to catching up on a lot of books later this year!

    Brian
    Wow! First, one printer goes belly up and than the first printer used by CD starts bankruptcy proceedings. With the news of the second printer that had to hurt you (CD) badly. I hope the situation improves for you and everyone involved. This is just my opinion -- What you described sounds darn scary.

    Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  4. #684
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    164
    Rep Power
    3
    Thanks for the Heads up, Brian.

    I am happy to wait long periods for the books, and it really helps to know what's causing the delays - even at a fairly superficial level. I don't expect that you will share every little bump that comes along with us. Regular updating via the production updates should be enough for most of us to be reassured that things will come down the pipeline eventually.

  5. #685
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,837
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Now that Sleeping Beauties is done, we can share something that was happening behind the scenes...

    As you all know by now, last June one of our printers closed their doors without warning -- and with Sleeping Beauties and other projects trapped inside. (And their deposit payments, never to be seen again, unfortunately.)

    We shifted gears, moved the projects around to our other two printers, and got things rolling again... but a few weeks after we started Sleeping Beauties at the oldest of our printers, the one we printed our very first book with in 1992 (!), they also privately notified us that they had entered bankruptcy proceedings...

    This slowed the production process WAY down, which is why the printing took nearly six months to finish. Every time they went to order in a special material, they had to pay upfront, etc. Theyíve been losing trained staff along the way as people have left. Our favorite account rep at any of the vendors we work with had to bail, which Iím still bummed about.

    We also didnít -- for the obvious reasons -- start any new books with them! That means a lot of books have been getting to the "ready for the printer" stage without one of our main printers to go to...

    The good news is, one of our other printers has completed the process of buying our original printer out of bankruptcy! Their facility is getting rolled into this much bigger and healthier company, and lots of books will get rolling again this summer! The list of books we have ready to printer is long, though, so we're still figuring out how to juggle what needs done. We'll post more specific updates as the plans lock into place.

    Also, we didnít post about this situation sooner because we knew they would finish Sleeping Beauties no matter how the process played out, even if it was the last book they printed and there was one guy there doing it by candlelight, and generally speaking we didnít want to cause a panic among our collectors given the trouble this book had already gone through.

    Thanks again for your patience, and we look forward to catching up on a lot of books later this year!

    Brian
    Thanks for the update. This must have been a very stressful year for everyone at CD. I'm very happy that things are getting back on track.

  6. #686
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    I should actually have a really good idea of where this one stands in about 30 days. We're looking at a plan with one of our high end vendors that would take on some of the larger jobs from our usual traycase maker. Normally, they're not a good fit for these, but they have some slow time coming up. Ping me in early May and I will know if Damnation Game is one of those, and where it stands in their queue if it is. (I'll try to remember to post on my own, but things get crazy busy at times and I forget!) Thanks for your patience!

    Brian

    Brian
    Any updates on the status of Damnation Game lettered. Thanks.

  7. #687
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,741
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Any updates on the status of Damnation Game lettered. Thanks.
    It's in the queue, but there's no update to share yet. I think the case makers who do the normal lettered editions are currently working on a bunch of stuff that's older than Damnation Game, so it could be a little while before they have room in their schedules. We've been making really good progress at finally catching up with the backlogged lettered tray cases. So we're finally getting towards the light at the end of that tunnel.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  8. #688
    Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,002,603
    Rep Power
    2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    Thanks for the update. This must have been a very stressful year for everyone at CD. I'm very happy that things are getting back on track.
    What we learned AFTER this update is that our printer didn't just get absorbed into this bigger company, but their actual facility is being cleared out. All of the presses are being sold, and the building will be turned into a warehouse for PAPER. That bums us out because we really liked that team we worked with for many, many years, and we hoped we'd be able to keep on rolling along with them until the new company's ownership.

    Some of those employees will be joining the bigger company, but things are never quite the same when you go from the a smaller company to a bigger company, and we hope everything goes well for them. The other employees seem to be landing jobs at other local printing companies -- the area they are in is well-known for their printing businesses -- so that's good news, at least.

    Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

    Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

  9. #689
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    It's in the queue, but there's no update to share yet. I think the case makers who do the normal lettered editions are currently working on a bunch of stuff that's older than Damnation Game, so it could be a little while before they have room in their schedules. We've been making really good progress at finally catching up with the backlogged lettered tray cases. So we're finally getting towards the light at the end of that tunnel.
    Brian mentioned in the post I've quoted the possibility that one of your "high end vendors ... would take on some of the larger jobs from our usual traycase maker". Has this not happened?
    Your post seems to suggest that it's the 'normal' case maker who will be working through the backlog.

  10. #690
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,741
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Brian mentioned in the post I've quoted the possibility that one of your "high end vendors ... would take on some of the larger jobs from our usual traycase maker". Has this not happened?
    Your post seems to suggest that it's the 'normal' case maker who will be working through the backlog.
    That's still a possibility, but it hasn't happened yet, and until it does I'm going to continue tempering expectations as if it won't happen. Currently the big vendors are handling some big jobs.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  11. #691
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    York, SC
    Posts
    607
    Rep Power
    7
    Shocklines will be the great forgotten anthology of Cemetery Dance :'(

  12. #692
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    Shocklines will be the great forgotten anthology of Cemetery Dance :'(
    Preordered a signed limited in 2006. But I'm confident that one day I will be reading this one.

  13. #693
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    York, SC
    Posts
    607
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by One eyed cat View Post
    Preordered a signed limited in 2006. But I'm confident that one day I will be reading this one.
    Holy crap. I thought my 2014 preorder of the trade was old.

    It's gotten to the point where the subtitle on the book is a joke. All the authors are great, but they're hardly "fresh voices" nowadays.

  14. #694
    Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,002,603
    Rep Power
    2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    Holy crap. I thought my 2014 preorder of the trade was old.

    It's gotten to the point where the subtitle on the book is a joke. All the authors are great, but they're hardly "fresh voices" nowadays.
    I'm guessing the subtitle has probably changed by now, but we haven't updated the website yet and probably won't until the book is at the printer.

    And hey, one of my first professional sales is in the book, so do you think I'd let it die on the vine??

    (In all seriousness, I've dragged much more difficult anthologies across the finish line by sheer willpower including a couple of major ones that were essentially abandoned by their editor -- none of the unnamed editors are CD people, but no names will ever be named! -- so I won't let SHOCKLINES of all anthologies ruin my record for getting these things done. This one, the editors are still enthusiastic, there were just a lot of problems over the years... and now one last signer who has had some trouble... but those sheets, they will be signed, and the books will be printed, and this book will be shipped.)

    Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

    Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

  15. #695
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,488
    Rep Power
    13
    Speaking of the SHOCKLINES anthology, whatever happened to Matt Schwartz, who ran the Shocklines forum and was one of the editors of the antho? He used to be active in the community, but I haven’t seen his name in a post (or as a poster) for years. Is he still involved with the project?

  16. #696
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    211
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Speaking of the SHOCKLINES anthology, whatever happened to Matt Schwartz, who ran the Shocklines forum and was one of the editors of the antho? He used to be active in the community, but I haven’t seen his name in a post (or as a poster) for years. Is he still involved with the project?
    Wherever Matt is, I hope he is happy and doing well. He bent over backwards for his customers, and Shocklines was SUCH a great store. The message board was a blast too, back in the glory days. Matt is one of the good guys.

  17. #697
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    9
    Matt Schwartz is active on Facebook. He really is one of the good guys. He posts a lot of movie reviews on FB, many of which are for films that otherwise I might’ve missed.

  18. #698
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1
    Hi CD- Now that Sleeping Beauties has been printed, do you have any updates on when the 1st title in the "2018 Forthcoming Grab Bag" may be announced? The last update that we had stated that the titles were deep in production and that we should see some movement once Sleeping Beauties was done at the printer. As always, any updates are appreciated!

  19. #699
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,741
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Hi CD- Now that Sleeping Beauties has been printed, do you have any updates on when the 1st title in the "2018 Forthcoming Grab Bag" may be announced? The last update that we had stated that the titles were deep in production and that we should see some movement once Sleeping Beauties was done at the printer. As always, any updates are appreciated!
    I don't really have an update on these. We're still dealing with some printer woes at the moment, but we're are running trial projects with 2 new printers and a trial project with a printer we haven't used in something like 8 years. If they go well hopefully we'll be able to make some more progress with some of this backlog.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  20. #700
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,741
    Rep Power
    28
    Just posting a sorta general shipping schedule update, so everyone knows what to expect from us over the next couple of weeks. This is subject to change, but this is the current plan.

    Knight of the Word --> Elevation Slipcase --> Cardinal Black Limited Edition

    Knight of the Word should start this week and hopefully finish next week. I'm not sure how much is actually going to get done next week as both Brian and I are out of the office all next week and well this week is a short week. I suspect Elevation slipcases won't start until after I'm back.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •