Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to go all Swayze, but, ditto what Jeff wrote! Kudos to Brian and the rest of the CD staff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      I'd like to raise a pint in honor of Brian James Freeman who has been taking massive fire on social media and within forums and returning nothing but kill shots. Brian, I hate seeing all the shit you're dealing with. I for one appreciate the updates and transparency. I'm sure it's a struggle and I can't imagine the terror of basing the retail price of a book on a set of numbers from one printer, selling that book out pre-publication, and then being forced to produce a more expensive book based on an entirely different set of numbers from a new printer.

So I toast you and Dan and all the people who make these small presses such a huge part of our joy. Have a happy 4th!
      Gotta spread it around some more, Jeff but good on you! +1.

Comment

Thank you all! I try to be as helpful as possible. Especially when it comes to explains things that I would never expect a non-publisher to know, such as what a huge pain it can be to find the right printer who will do a GOOD job. It's not actually easy, which is why losing two printers in just about 11 months can really screw everything up! But we're trying, and I think we'll have a big second half of the year once we get a new printer or two lined up!

Brian
        Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
        My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

I'd like to raise a pint in honor of Brian James Freeman who has been taking massive fire on social media and within forums and returning nothing but kill shots. Brian, I hate seeing all the shit you're dealing with. I for one appreciate the updates and transparency. I'm sure it's a struggle and I can't imagine the terror of basing the retail price of a book on a set of numbers from one printer, selling that book out pre-publication, and then being forced to produce a more expensive book based on an entirely different set of numbers from a new printer.

So I toast you and Dan and all the people who make these small presses such a huge part of our joy. Have a happy 4th!
          I've been reading the darktower.org thread regarding the publication schedule of CD. I think on the whole most people are quite sympathetic towards the problems that CD have faced regarding their printers.
          There are some who raise some pertinent issues regarding the long pre-order periods on a number of books even before the recent printer problems. Ordering from CD can be a bit of a crapshoot. A book might arrive within 6 months, maybe a year or quite often longer. Some people seem quite comfortable with these delays whilst its drives others nuts.

Personally, I've become much more selective as to which books I pre-order (from all publishers). I used to be OK with having funds tied up in books that I had no idea when I would receive. Now, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
            I've been reading the darktower.org thread regarding the publication schedule of CD. I think on the whole most people are quite sympathetic towards the problems that CD have faced regarding their printers.
            There are some who raise some pertinent issues regarding the long pre-order periods on a number of books even before the recent printer problems. Ordering from CD can be a bit of a crapshoot. A book might arrive within 6 months, maybe a year or quite often longer. Some people seem quite comfortable with these delays whilst its drives others nuts.

Personally, I've become much more selective as to which books I pre-order (from all publishers). I used to be OK with having funds tied up in books that I had no idea when I would receive. Now, not so much.
            This is definitely not directed at you Ranger but I've been buying books from CD directly for nearly 13 years now and have not once heard of them refusing a refund on a preorder for any reason at all and have more often than not seen them offer refunds in the announcements of delays to scheduled release dates. I understand that waiting for something you really want can be frustrating but knowing that you can change your mind for any reason at any time and get a full refund needs to count for something too.

Comment

Originally posted by One eyed cat View Post
              This is definitely not directed at you Ranger but I've been buying books from CD directly for nearly 13 years now and have not once heard of them refusing a refund on a preorder for any reason at all and have more often than not seen them offer refunds in the announcements of delays to scheduled release dates. I understand that waiting for something you really want can be frustrating but knowing that you can change your mind for any reason at any time and get a full refund needs to count for something too.
              I've probably been ordering from CD for a similar period of time. I'm aware that the option of a refund is always there. I actually recently received a refund on my order of Damnation Game lettered edition as I wasn't prepared to wait any longer on an order I placed almost 6 years ago. As I said in my original post my priorities have changed somewhat since I first started collecting. I used to be fairly relaxed about delays. Now I prefer to prioritise my book purchases towards books that I know (or hope) will arrive sooner rather than later. As a collector of various small press publishers I do think that CD's delays do surpass similar publishers like Sub Press or PS Publishing.
              Mind you I do have a couple of orders placed in 2014 with King's Way Press so I probably shouldn't complain too much!

Comment

On the whole (other than a few problem books). We have brought wait times down a lot (at least in the time that I've been working at CD). It's just that the ones that do take too long always over shadow all the books that come out quickly. People tend to only see the problems. We're never happy that a book takes so long to come out, but we're doing to best we can, and that's just not good enough for some people.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                  I got burned pretty badly by another publisher that has since gone under, so I feel you here. I find a I preorder a lot more from Camelot nowadays because they don't expect payment until the book is in their hands and ready to ship.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                    I got burned pretty badly by another publisher that has since gone under, so I feel you here. I find a I preorder a lot more from Camelot nowadays because they don't expect payment until the book is in their hands and ready to ship.
                    I had a similar situation and Camelot was my solution as well. Sometimes I miss out on a very select title, but usually, I'm able to get what I want.

Comment

Camelot is my solution as well. I held fast on a no pre-order policy for a long time and went only through Camelot, but weakened on three CD titles a couple years ago (about 18 to 24 months, all told) — two that were supposed to come out shortly thereafter, and unfortunately I continue to wait on all three. It’s frustrating, but I’m confident that CD is doing about all they can to remedy the situation (though I do wish getting the King material out quickly was less a priority as it seems to sideline other projects, but I get it from a business perspective) and I know a refund is available if my patience expires. But I’m okay waiting while they sort out this printer issues...stuff happens.
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Sorry for the rant y'all. I get so emotional sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by One eyed cat View Post
                          Sorry for the rant y'all. I get so emotional sometimes.
                          Well, you wouldn't be here if you didn't care. And getting emotional is part of caring. Which is why it's better to be a psychopath and care about nothing and no one. Psychopaths have an evolutionary advantage.

Comment

Well, you wouldn't be here if you didn't care. And getting emotional is part of caring. Which is why it's better to be a psychopath and care about nothing and no one. Psychopaths have an evolutionary advantage.
                            Has someone been reading The Straw Men series?

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                              Which publisher was this? ~Cap
                              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                                Camelot is my solution as well. I held fast on a no pre-order policy for a long time and went only through Camelot, but weakened on three CD titles a couple years ago (about 18 to 24 months, all told) — two that were supposed to come out shortly thereafter, and unfortunately I continue to wait on all three. It’s frustrating, but I’m confident that CD is doing about all they can to remedy the situation (though I do wish getting the King material out quickly was less a priority as it seems to sideline other projects, but I get it from a business perspective) and I know a refund is available if my patience expires. But I’m okay waiting while they sort out this printer issues...stuff happens.
                                When has your patience expired in regards to getting a book you ordered? ~Cap
                                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X