Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast
Results 721 to 740 of 746

Thread: Production Update Questions

  1. #721
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1
    Not to go all Swayze, but, ditto what Jeff wrote! Kudos to Brian and the rest of the CD staff!!!

  2. #722
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,521
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I'd like to raise a pint in honor of Brian James Freeman who has been taking massive fire on social media and within forums and returning nothing but kill shots. Brian, I hate seeing all the shit you're dealing with. I for one appreciate the updates and transparency. I'm sure it's a struggle and I can't imagine the terror of basing the retail price of a book on a set of numbers from one printer, selling that book out pre-publication, and then being forced to produce a more expensive book based on an entirely different set of numbers from a new printer.

    So I toast you and Dan and all the people who make these small presses such a huge part of our joy. Have a happy 4th!
    Gotta spread it around some more, Jeff but good on you! +1.

  3. #723
    Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,002,606
    Rep Power
    2014
    Thank you all! I try to be as helpful as possible. Especially when it comes to explains things that I would never expect a non-publisher to know, such as what a huge pain it can be to find the right printer who will do a GOOD job. It's not actually easy, which is why losing two printers in just about 11 months can really screw everything up! But we're trying, and I think we'll have a big second half of the year once we get a new printer or two lined up!

    Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

    Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

  4. #724
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I'd like to raise a pint in honor of Brian James Freeman who has been taking massive fire on social media and within forums and returning nothing but kill shots. Brian, I hate seeing all the shit you're dealing with. I for one appreciate the updates and transparency. I'm sure it's a struggle and I can't imagine the terror of basing the retail price of a book on a set of numbers from one printer, selling that book out pre-publication, and then being forced to produce a more expensive book based on an entirely different set of numbers from a new printer.

    So I toast you and Dan and all the people who make these small presses such a huge part of our joy. Have a happy 4th!
    I've been reading the darktower.org thread regarding the publication schedule of CD. I think on the whole most people are quite sympathetic towards the problems that CD have faced regarding their printers.
    There are some who raise some pertinent issues regarding the long pre-order periods on a number of books even before the recent printer problems. Ordering from CD can be a bit of a crapshoot. A book might arrive within 6 months, maybe a year or quite often longer. Some people seem quite comfortable with these delays whilst its drives others nuts.

    Personally, I've become much more selective as to which books I pre-order (from all publishers). I used to be OK with having funds tied up in books that I had no idea when I would receive. Now, not so much.

  5. #725
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I've been reading the darktower.org thread regarding the publication schedule of CD. I think on the whole most people are quite sympathetic towards the problems that CD have faced regarding their printers.
    There are some who raise some pertinent issues regarding the long pre-order periods on a number of books even before the recent printer problems. Ordering from CD can be a bit of a crapshoot. A book might arrive within 6 months, maybe a year or quite often longer. Some people seem quite comfortable with these delays whilst its drives others nuts.

    Personally, I've become much more selective as to which books I pre-order (from all publishers). I used to be OK with having funds tied up in books that I had no idea when I would receive. Now, not so much.
    This is definitely not directed at you Ranger but I've been buying books from CD directly for nearly 13 years now and have not once heard of them refusing a refund on a preorder for any reason at all and have more often than not seen them offer refunds in the announcements of delays to scheduled release dates. I understand that waiting for something you really want can be frustrating but knowing that you can change your mind for any reason at any time and get a full refund needs to count for something too.

  6. #726
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by One eyed cat View Post
    This is definitely not directed at you Ranger but I've been buying books from CD directly for nearly 13 years now and have not once heard of them refusing a refund on a preorder for any reason at all and have more often than not seen them offer refunds in the announcements of delays to scheduled release dates. I understand that waiting for something you really want can be frustrating but knowing that you can change your mind for any reason at any time and get a full refund needs to count for something too.
    I've probably been ordering from CD for a similar period of time. I'm aware that the option of a refund is always there. I actually recently received a refund on my order of Damnation Game lettered edition as I wasn't prepared to wait any longer on an order I placed almost 6 years ago. As I said in my original post my priorities have changed somewhat since I first started collecting. I used to be fairly relaxed about delays. Now I prefer to prioritise my book purchases towards books that I know (or hope) will arrive sooner rather than later. As a collector of various small press publishers I do think that CD's delays do surpass similar publishers like Sub Press or PS Publishing.
    Mind you I do have a couple of orders placed in 2014 with King's Way Press so I probably shouldn't complain too much!

  7. #727
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,751
    Rep Power
    28
    On the whole (other than a few problem books). We have brought wait times down a lot (at least in the time that I've been working at CD). It's just that the ones that do take too long always over shadow all the books that come out quickly. People tend to only see the problems. We're never happy that a book takes so long to come out, but we're doing to best we can, and that's just not good enough for some people.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  8. #728
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    York, SC
    Posts
    609
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Personally, I've become much more selective as to which books I pre-order (from all publishers). I used to be OK with having funds tied up in books that I had no idea when I would receive. Now, not so much.
    I got burned pretty badly by another publisher that has since gone under, so I feel you here. I find a I preorder a lot more from Camelot nowadays because they don't expect payment until the book is in their hands and ready to ship.

  9. #729
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    I got burned pretty badly by another publisher that has since gone under, so I feel you here. I find a I preorder a lot more from Camelot nowadays because they don't expect payment until the book is in their hands and ready to ship.
    I had a similar situation and Camelot was my solution as well. Sometimes I miss out on a very select title, but usually, I'm able to get what I want.

  10. #730
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,497
    Rep Power
    13
    Camelot is my solution as well. I held fast on a no pre-order policy for a long time and went only through Camelot, but weakened on three CD titles a couple years ago (about 18 to 24 months, all told) — two that were supposed to come out shortly thereafter, and unfortunately I continue to wait on all three. It’s frustrating, but I’m confident that CD is doing about all they can to remedy the situation (though I do wish getting the King material out quickly was less a priority as it seems to sideline other projects, but I get it from a business perspective) and I know a refund is available if my patience expires. But I’m okay waiting while they sort out this printer issues...stuff happens.

  11. #731
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    5
    Sorry for the rant y'all. I get so emotional sometimes.

  12. #732
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,650
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by One eyed cat View Post
    Sorry for the rant y'all. I get so emotional sometimes.
    Well, you wouldn't be here if you didn't care. And getting emotional is part of caring. Which is why it's better to be a psychopath and care about nothing and no one. Psychopaths have an evolutionary advantage.

  13. #733
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,200
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Well, you wouldn't be here if you didn't care. And getting emotional is part of caring. Which is why it's better to be a psychopath and care about nothing and no one. Psychopaths have an evolutionary advantage.
    Has someone been reading The Straw Men series?

  14. #734
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    659
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    I got burned pretty badly by another publisher that has since gone under, so I feel you here. I find a I preorder a lot more from Camelot nowadays because they don't expect payment until the book is in their hands and ready to ship.
    Which publisher was this? ~Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  15. #735
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    659
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Camelot is my solution as well. I held fast on a no pre-order policy for a long time and went only through Camelot, but weakened on three CD titles a couple years ago (about 18 to 24 months, all told) — two that were supposed to come out shortly thereafter, and unfortunately I continue to wait on all three. It’s frustrating, but I’m confident that CD is doing about all they can to remedy the situation (though I do wish getting the King material out quickly was less a priority as it seems to sideline other projects, but I get it from a business perspective) and I know a refund is available if my patience expires. But I’m okay waiting while they sort out this printer issues...stuff happens.
    When has your patience expired in regards to getting a book you ordered? ~Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  16. #736
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,497
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    When has your patience expired in regards to getting a book you ordered? ~Cap
    Not sure; haven’t got there quite yet. I will say that at now the two-year mark I am admittedly getting a little itchy, so I suspect three years will be my threshold. I’ll also say that this experience has affirmed my previous reluctance to pre-order and that moratorium is firmly back in place.

  17. #737
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    York, SC
    Posts
    609
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    Which publisher was this? ~Cap
    DarkFuse

  18. #738
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1
    Hi CD,

    Do you have any updates yet on when the 1st title in the "2018 Forthcoming Grab Bag" may be announced? Been a few months since I lasted checked. Any information is appreciated.

  19. #739
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    SE Illinois
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Hi CD,

    Do you have any updates yet on when the 1st title in the "2018 Forthcoming Grab Bag" may be announced? Been a few months since I lasted checked. Any information is appreciated.
    Is that the same thing as this?: "New Cemetery Dance Review Copy Grab Bag For 2018!" If so, I've been wondering about it too. I placed my order back in January of 2018.
    Last edited by Marmaduke Grigsby; 08-06-2019 at 02:37 PM.

  20. #740
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1
    No, I believe they are two separate grab bags. Hopefully, CD can provide both of us an update.

    Side Note- Not sure how feasible it would be, but I wish that the grab bags/some of the various other CD promos were a part of the production updates page. Would also help me to keep track of them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •