Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the process involved converting print to e-book formats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the process involved converting print to e-book formats?

The reason I ask, is I am just over half-way through The Stickmen by Edward Lee on my Kobo. I have noticed quite a few errors in the formatting. Sometimes it is a few words repeated in a sentence. I will make up an example: (The dog ran after ran after the stick.)

This also happened in a few other e-books I have read. One of them was a CD e-book, although I can't remember which one.

It seems that every time I have noticed it, it was likely an e-book that was originally a print edition only????

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
    The reason I ask, is I am just over half-way through The Stickmen by Edward Lee on my Kobo. I have noticed quite a few errors in the formatting. Sometimes it is a few words repeated in a sentence. I will make up an example: (The dog ran after ran after the stick.)

This also happened in a few other e-books I have read. One of them was a CD e-book, although I can't remember which one.

It seems that every time I have noticed it, it was likely an e-book that was originally a print edition only????
    Well it really depends. Our earlier eBooks had a lot more errors than our current ones as they go through a much more extensive proofreading and copy editing process now. With our eBooks a lot of our errors come from scanning. A lot of our older books the authors don't have digital manuscripts for, so we have to have them scanned, which sometimes can be a big pain in the butt.

With the big publishers they might not go through the same level of proofreading or get proofread seprately so things may be missed in one and not the other. For all intensive purposes a eBook is just a web page collected into a single archive file. So the process from going from a word document to say a eBook vs. going from a word document to print is actually a lot different.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

OK, was just curious. Some of the errors I have come across in the last 2 e-books (not CD ones ) have stood out to the point where you have to re-read sometimes an entire sentence for it to make sense, or to figure out the context of it. It can ruin the flow at times.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
        OK, was just curious. Some of the errors I have come across in the last 2 e-books (not CD ones ) have stood out to the point where you have to re-read sometimes an entire sentence for it to make sense, or to figure out the context of it. It can ruin the flow at times.
        Yea I have seen a surprising amount of errors in the big publishers eBooks over the past couple years. I think the eBooks just don't get as much attention during the proofreading process. Though for all I know those errors could be in the print editions as well.

Instagram

Comment

Yes I noticed in Little Things 2 stories repeat one after the other at first I thought they were different drafts of the same story. As I continued to read I came to the conclusion that the stories were the same but something went wrong during the production of the book.
          Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          Well it really depends. Our earlier eBooks had a lot more errors than our current ones as they go through a much more extensive proofreading and copy editing process now. With our eBooks a lot of our errors come from scanning. A lot of our older books the authors don't have digital manuscripts for, so we have to have them scanned, which sometimes can be a big pain in the butt.

With the big publishers they might not go through the same level of proofreading or get proofread seprately so things may be missed in one and not the other. For all intensive purposes a eBook is just a web page collected into a single archive file. So the process from going from a word document to say a eBook vs. going from a word document to print is actually a lot different.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
            Yes I noticed in Little Things 2 stories repeat one after the other at first I thought they were different drafts of the same story. As I continued to read I came to the conclusion that the stories were the same but something went wrong during the production of the book.
            Yep, can you send me an email with which story it was so I can see if it's something we've fixed already or not

Instagram

Comment

Just sent you an email. Actually there were 3 stories that repeated.
              Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              Yep, can you send me an email with which story it was so I can see if it's something we've fixed already or not

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                Just sent you an email. Actually there were 3 stories that repeated.
                Bonus content!
                Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

That is what I thought at first. . No I thought after a bit that they were different versions but they were not

Comment

Working...
                  X