No announcement yet.

NaNoWriMo2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings, LP. This is simply a statement inspired by the NaNoWriMo2013 thread. I love the entire idea--here's why. I'm an independent writer/editor, and recently completed a brutally difficult ghostwriting job (mainstream novel) for a Wall Street worker. Foolishly, I signed a contract promising delivery of final manuscript in 30 days. My client phoned me every M, W, and TH at 10AM for a status report--a genuine nightmare for me, as I do not enjoy this intrusive contact (but she was paying me well, and had every right to protect her investment--pun much intended).

In short, I wrote the novel in 30 days--final draft. My client loved it.

What had started as a very, very stressful project ended positively, as my own writing--in comparison--now is much less taxing. Forcing yourself to such discipline is like swinging 10 baseball bats over and over.

Once you drop them, you feel as if capable of lifting a truck!
    Last edited by William J. Grabowski; 10-26-2013, 05:28 AM. Reason: format correction

Comment

Thanks for those encouraging words Mr. G. I hope the incentive/pressure gets me into a good writing habit that will continue long beyond next month. But I've been hoping for the that the past several years.
      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Agree with everything Terry said. I am hoping to make writing a part of my daily routine, or at least most days. My goal is to either write something like 500+ words a day or writing a certain number or pages (Pretty sure this is what Joe Lansdale does). That may have been my problem last year after NaNo. I didn't have a daily writing goal following November. Hopefully with that goal I will actually do it.
        WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
        Spoiler!

Comment

TerryE: You're welcome. Sometimes you can't know what you're capable of until forced (either by yourself, or outside influence) to do it. Either way, the process alone will shatter accumulated bad habits. Best to you!

Comment

Good luck to all those taking part! Hopefully you all are able to get the creative juices flowing.

Comment

Thanks, I am sure it won't be a problem considering I had ideas for 2 other future short stories the other day, and wrote part of a scene that popped into my head last week for some other story. Might fit in one of the two new ideas, but I don't know about that yet. I like getting these ideas, but now is NOT the time for them, lol
              Spoiler!

Comment

I've got a busy month, but I'm going to try to do this too. I have a couple stories I have mostly fleshed out that I could start work on. It helps that I have the first 4 days of the month off work. One is a darker detective story, and the other is a Sword & Sorcery type story.

Comment

Good luck to all involved. The time is near. I'm gearing up. I've gotten lucky with the MD local dare words. We're using Poe related stuff, and my antagonist uses pseudonyms based on Poe works.
                  "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I think once some things get settled with stuff I've got going on, I may try to write down points/ideas and see if I come up with some type of storyline once I get more free time. I've got 2 really cool (at least to me) sounding ideas for at least a short story, but it seems like I could write a cool synopsis of my idea, but to put enough "meat" to have a flowing storyline, right now at least, is something I am not really sure I could pull off.

Comment

Getting ready for midnight to put the first few words down.

Comment

Well it is now November. Good luck to everyone participating!

I'm off to a good start, though already have a dilemma. I don't know how I will do it, but while writing my first I realized the woman in the scene is going to die early! Either that or have something bad happen. I don't know why, but I can't ignore that feeling. I might figure out something other than death though, will just have to figure that out as I go. Good thing I haven't spent much time fleshing out this character, lol!
                        Spoiler!

Comment

And we're off! Good luck everyone! I'm doing what I can but I'll have some catching up to do when I get back home!
                          The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
                          Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
                          ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

I got 500 words in just after midnight, more tonight for the first day's count.

RJ, maybe something bad happens to someone close to her and it just affects her emotionally.

Comment

That wouldn't be a bad idea Terry, but I don't know if she has anyone else close to her. I know they don't live around a big city and I know her mother died of cancer shortly after they met. The nickname that he calls her came from him hearing her called that from her mother. I discovered all of that as I was writing that information last night. Right now I have a strong feeling she has to either die or disappear somehow. I am not sure yet exactly how or why it is important, but I get the feeling that it is.

I actually am happy to have this dilemma though, as it is good for getting the juices going.
                              Spoiler!

Comment

Well, I've hit the 5K mark. I'm still behind by a day, but I hope to catch up over the coming week(s).

In the meantime I've put up an excerpt: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/lu...um-of-the-dead

Right. I'm off to type some more!
                                The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
                                Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
                                ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Working...
                                X