No announcement yet.

NaNoWriMo2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I plan on doing it, but have no plans yet. Last year I pantsed it and was very happy with some of the work I did. I now have 1 month to decide if there will be a plot beforehand. I'll friend you guys once I get set up.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Oh, NaNoWriMo how you taunt me! I'm on the fence about whether or not to try again this year. November is a brutal month for me which I thought I was prepared for last year, yet failed miserably after about four days. Going to think long and hard about it before I commit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        Oh, NaNoWriMo how you taunt me! I'm on the fence about whether or not to try again this year. November is a brutal month for me which I thought I was prepared for last year, yet failed miserably after about four days. Going to think long and hard about it before I commit.
        Why not try it? Just write as much as you can in the 30 days. Don't give up after 4 days, just keep plugging away. As long as you write as much as you can it'll still be more than if you don't do anything, which I call a success!
        WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
        Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
          Why not try it? Just write as much as you can in the 30 days. Don't give up after 4 days, just keep plugging away. As long as you write as much as you can it'll still be more than if you don't do anything, which I call a success!
          I might do as you suggest. I tend to be a little rigid when it comes to goals or deadlines. Maybe just doing the best I can might be liberating. Still mulling it over, but you definitely gave me some food for thought.

Comment

Monkey, I've fought the same fight in previous years. Last year was my best attempt. 12,000 words in 23 days. I didn't make the goal, but I got a good start and I got into good writing habits, that unfortunately disappeared for most of the past year. But I like what I wrote, still feel like I need to finish it, and learned some new things about the history of my fictional county. (And now that I've got the lost sections back from the broken computer, I intend to finish it)
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              I might do as you suggest. I tend to be a little rigid when it comes to goals or deadlines. Maybe just doing the best I can might be liberating. Still mulling it over, but you definitely gave me some food for thought.
              I tend to be more of slacker when it comes to deadlines and put things off until close to the deadline, but that doesn't work with NaNoWriMo, so I was out of my element in that way last year, but I was luckily able to make it work. We'll see if I am able to make it work this year too, am crossing my fingers that it will, that is for sure! If it helps you could set multiple goals, in order of importance. Perhaps something like:

#1 Write as much as I can in November
              #2 Don't give up
              #3 Write 50,000 words in November

Then writing writing as much as you can is the most important goal and 50,000 words is the least important goal, but still a goal (without the pressure of it being the primary or even secondary goal). And if you do that you get in on deals for participants. Like the Scrivener writing program, which is 50% off for winners, but is still discounted 20% for those who participate and don't reach the goal.

And for those who will be doing NaNo who didn't add me to their writing buddies last year, here is my profile link to add me. And whoever wishes to see what I'll be writing this year I have already entered the details of my story for this year. http://nanowrimo.org/participants/rjk1981
              Spoiler!

Comment

Well, after thinking it over quite a bit and along with some encouraging words from RJK1981, I've decided to give NaNoWriMo another go this year! I have a couple projects in mind, so now I just need to settle on one.

Comment

I still haven't come up with an idea, except maybe doing a novelization of my screenplay. Does that seem like cheating?

Comment

Well, if it is cheating, so what? Haven't you heard the quote "If ya ain't cheating, ya ain't winning"? Sock Monkey, if nothing else, if whatever you settle on doesn't give you 50,000 words then just write them both. It's supposed to be for novels but I know there are people who do short stories and things like that.

I know I don't plan to stretch out my story if I end up struggling and will start on another story as well that has recently entered my mind. I know that if my science fiction story fits within the 17,000 word limit I will definitely consider entering it into the writer's of the future contest after I edit it.
                    Spoiler!

Comment

I developed the same idea last year. The story I was working on was probably heading for novella territory. If I would have finished it, my idea was to continue with other stories related to the main tale. I even made mention of a past event that would make an interesting story on its own. One day.

Comment

Well, we're nearly there, folks: another 30 days of creative nirvana, punctilious plotting and 'orrible deeds told well (or, if you will, 30 days each spent looking at your word count and thinking "Shit! It felt like more.") Yes, it's nearly NaNoWriMo time!

As we head into the final week-afore, are we all ready for what lies ahead? Any call for a writing buddy? You can find me via http://nanowrimo.org/participants/lucian-poll.
                        The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
                        Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
                        ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Today begins my week of research for this title, likely do some character work, and possibly even doing some plotting for the story as well, though that isn't a priority for me.
                          Spoiler!

Comment

I'm as ready as I'm going to be, I guess. I've got you two on my buddy list from last year.

Anybody new?

Comment

Not that I can think of, but more are always welcome. I see you put your story for the year up on your page Lucian, sounds very good!

I still wonder how this year will go for me, but I am not really too stressed or worried about it. The story in my mind seems like it could take a lot more than 50k words to reach "The End", but at the same time I have never written science fiction, so it will definitely be an experiment, lol. I'm actually hoping that I can come up with a way to have the story short enough to enter into the Writer's of the Future contest, perhaps turning part of it into a short story that leads into a longer story or is expanded on. I had the idea for another story pop into my head last week or so, so I know I should be good for the word count.
                              Spoiler!

Comment

Thanks, RJK! It's all still rough in my head (hence the rough synopsis) but there should be enough to keep me going for a while.
                                The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
                                Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
                                ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Working...
                                X