No announcement yet.

What would you recommend....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have considered Dune, but if I'm not mistaken it is a marathon of a read, that is why I keep putting of It.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
      I never really got into Sci-fi books much, other than the odd read here and there. Though I have a few paperbacks at the ready if the mood strikes. I've mostly been reading fantasy for the past 15 years, with some horror, crime and non-fiction interspersed in the mix. I really liked the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury though...

What about Dune? I know a buddy of mine loved it. It's been on my TBR list for a while, got a paperback ready and waiting for me, haha.
      I never got around to reading Dune, though I was a big fan of the mini series that was done.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I second Embassytown. My opinion only got better as I reflected on it in the days after I finished reading it.

Comment

If you like China Mieville, try Perdido Street Station. It's brilliant, as is the sequel The Scar.

Comment

The Scar is on my TBR list. I will get to it eventually.

Comment

I would recommend Jeffery A. Carver. Neptune Crossing, the first book in his Chaos Chronicles series, is free on Amazon for the Kindle eBook. Eternity's End is also a great read, as is everything else of his I have read.
              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
              Spoiler!

Comment

Some of my favorites. The original Dune series, most anything by Arthur C. Clarke, The Forge of God by Greg Bear.
                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

So, for starters, and to not get too far ahead of myself, with a fair size TBR "pile"..... here is what I ordered (AbeBooks) today for my sci-fi kick: Embassytown by China Mieville, Hyperion by Dan Simmons, and Anathem by Neal Stephenson.

Hyperion is high on my list, and will probably have to get the rest of the series I would imagine.

Good start, plus AbeBooks has cheap prices, so I don't feel bad if I get something and don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                    Hyperion is high on my list, and will probably have to get the rest of the series I would imagine.
                    Hyperion is not an easy read - many can't make it to the end of the book.
                    Personally, I love it!

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                    most anything by Arthur C. Clarke
                    Oh yessssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sk

Comment

TerryE and frik51 - Or anyone else with Clarke or Asimov experience(s)....

Most of their novels are written in the '50s-'60s for the most part, and later too I realize. However, my question is this: Are the storylines and the novels overall still readably relevant? Or more easily stated - are they outdated? Obviously, reading 2001:A Space Odyssey, in a way is "outdated" right? I am sure it's a great read, or at least was when it was first published, and the movie was great for it's time.

If not, then I will likely see if my Dad still has his sci-fi stuff from authors like this (he also had a lot Edgar Rice Burroughs).

Comment

I find that most of the older SF holds up very well, mainly because the authors were exploring themes that wouldn't get published in other genres of the time. I can still go back and read Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov, Simak, Bester, Leinster and many others. Even when the technology has been outclassed by today's, the stories are still good, and it's interesting to see how some predictions came true while others were so far off.

There's a lot of fantastic modern-day SF out there too. I prefer hard SF to fantasy, so my preferences will be skewed that direction, but check out Charles Stross, Cody Doctorow, Stephen Baxter, John Barnes, John Scalzi, Iain M. Banks etc.

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson is a favorite of mine, but it's a huge book

Comment

I love Phillip K. Dick. Great writer. Also some early Bradbury. One of my favorite sci fi books is The Forever War.

Comment

Dave: Stephenson looks very interesting, but as you said, it seems a lot of his works are really big, not that that is bad, as long as it flows. I have Anathem on the way, and if I enjoy it, will be sure to get more.

bookworm: The Forever War is one I've browsed a lot, and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card sure looks neat too.

Also, while we are on the topic is there any small press publishers like CD that specialize in the Sci-Fi genre? Or, for Dan or Brian, any thoughts of CD broadening out into that at all?

Comment

Subterranean Press does a lot of science fiction. I have been getting my Phillip K. Dick books from them.Also they have done China Melville books along with a bunch of others.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                                Subterranean Press does a lot of science fiction. I have been getting my Phillip K. Dick books from them.Also they have done China Melville books along with a bunch of others.
                                Cool. Thanks. I keep getting their newsletter but have yet to order anything from them.

Comment

Working...
                                X