What would you recommend....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you recommend....

OK. So...obviously from being here, I am a big fan of horror/dark fiction. I also enjoy other stuff too, a lot of science type stuff - authors like Kaku, Dawkins, and eventually want to dabble into Hawking too.

I want to get into the sci-fi realm a bit, but don't even know where to start. I actually enjoyed Mars by Ben Bova. Back in the '80-'90s my father was a member in some science fiction book club, but was more into Asimov, the Star Trek and Star Wars type books, and the Dragonriders series too. I am not really into that realm of sci-fi.

So, I am calling out to my friends at CD to help me look into some real good sci-fi novels. Embassytown looks interesting, Squire - I see you had good stuff to say about this. Dan Simmons Hyperion looks good too. The problem is, that I am not sure what type of sci-fi I like.

I know many older books would be outdated reading today right?

Embassytown was a great SF novel, IMO. My favorite SF novel is Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. It was made into a movie back in 1979 called Stalker. I understand it also inspired the video game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (though I don't know first-hand). It follows the theory that great science fiction is also great fiction.

Look through the titles of Alfred Bester and William Tenn, you might find something there that sparks your fancy!
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Though I've not read it, I hear that 2001: A Space Odyssey is good. It's on my TBR list.

Comment

Philip K. Dick is a classic! Not so sure about modern Sci-fi authors but I'll have a dig through my book shelf later on and see if I can't help you out! Good luck on the search!

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
          Though I've not read it, I hear that 2001: A Space Odyssey is good. It's on my TBR list.
          That will be easy, it's on my Dad's book shelf, unless he got rid of this collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Doyle View Post
            Philip K. Dick is a classic! Not so sure about modern Sci-fi authors but I'll have a dig through my book shelf later on and see if I can't help you out! Good luck on the search!
            Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is a title that always caught my attention. Thanks!

Comment

In another thread, I think I mentioned Hyperion by Dan Simmons is high on my list, just from the reviews I've read on it, and having not read anything by him it could be a good start into his works.

Comment

I loved Stephen Donaldson's Gap series....5 books....the first is much smaller and "lighter" material then the late 4. Great stuff!!

Comment

Another that I've heard is good (but very long) is The Wheel of Time series. The length of this scares me away.

Comment

Wow....just poked around with that on Goodreads, and yes..... long series!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                      Wow....just poked around with that on Goodreads, and yes..... long series!!!!
                      It's fantastic and one of my favorite series. Though it's more fantasy than science fiction. It also has it's ups and downs. Though it is finally complete. If you're delving into the fantasy end of the spectrum, look up Terry Brooks. He's one of my all time favorite authors. I don't personally read much science fiction, but Dave at the office is a huge fan of The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Dan, can you ask him if it's worth it beyond the original trilogy. The original trilogy is coming up on my TBR and I was debating if I should start tracking down the others.

Comment

My Dad has almost every Asimov book (or had at one time). I really don't think that's my thing though. I used to like the old OMNI magazine he used to get too.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                            Dan, can you ask him if it's worth it beyond the original trilogy. The original trilogy is coming up on my TBR and I was debating if I should start tracking down the others.
                            He says it's good, just not as good.
                            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I never really got into Sci-fi books much, other than the odd read here and there. Though I have a few paperbacks at the ready if the mood strikes. I've mostly been reading fantasy for the past 15 years, with some horror, crime and non-fiction interspersed in the mix. I really liked the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury though...

What about Dune? I know a buddy of mine loved it. It's been on my TBR list for a while, got a paperback ready and waiting for me, haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X