What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kealan Patrick Burke View Post
    Hosseini is an author I've heard nothing but good things about, but just haven't gotten around to reading yet. Will have to amend that one of these days if my TBR pile of 400+ books doesn't topple over and kill me first.
    Highly, highly, highly recommend The Kite Runner, as it is my favorite of his two, probably because the main character of that one is male, where the main of Splendid Suns is female. Some of the early reviews for the new one are saying it is as good or better than Kite Runner, so I am very much looking forward to reading it. The Kite Runner was so good at getting me invested in it that at one point I was prepared to stop reading it the story went a certain way. It was late, I was tired, and had to work early in the morning but I absolutely couldn't stop reading until I knew what happened. I had never before (and never since either) been so emotionally invested in story that I was ready to stop reading the book if one part went the way I was afraid it would go! It's no wonder I was too drained for Splendid Suns to effect me in anything close to the same effect when I read it right after Kite Runner. I would recommend both books, Kite Runner more than Splendid Suns, but would recommend reading a book or two in between them and not making the same mistake that I did.

I'd say you could use the book for research, but I don't know what you'd be researching, lol.
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
      I am unsure of Insomnia - sounds like a good story, but I've heard many mixed reviews..... Yet Duma Key found it's way into my hands at my local store a few times, but I always put it back down for some reason.
      I liked a lot of INSOMNIA, but thought it could have been cut by 400 pages and been twice the book. I found the ending disappointing too.

I started Blue November Storms on my lunch break, and should finish it tonight. Quick pace, short chapters, great flow.
      I really dug that. Brian needs to write more. Seriously. It's not like he has anything else going on. (giggle)
      http://www.kealanpatrickburke.com

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
        Highly, highly, highly recommend The Kite Runner, as it is my favorite of his two, probably because the main character of that one is male, where the main of Splendid Suns is female. Some of the early reviews for the new one are saying it is as good or better than Kite Runner, so I am very much looking forward to reading it. The Kite Runner was so good at getting me invested in it that at one point I was prepared to stop reading it the story went a certain way. It was late, I was tired, and had to work early in the morning but I absolutely couldn't stop reading until I knew what happened. I had never before (and never since either) been so emotionally invested in story that I was ready to stop reading the book if one part went the way I was afraid it would go! It's no wonder I was too drained for Splendid Suns to effect me in anything close to the same effect when I read it right after Kite Runner. I would recommend both books, Kite Runner more than Splendid Suns, but would recommend reading a book or two in between them and not making the same mistake that I did.

I'd say you could use the book for research, but I don't know what you'd be researching, lol.
        That's a hell of a recommendation, and one of many I've received. I'll get to it someday...hopefully.

Comment

I used to admire Koontz back when I wrote for THE HORROR SHOW--god knows he was nice and generous to me. You really ought to check out DONALD RAY POLLOCK's hillbilly noir: KNOCKEMSTIFF. It'll do stuff to you. Like WINTER'S BONE without the glitter.

Comment

Originally posted by William J. Grabowski View Post
            I used to admire Koontz back when I wrote for THE HORROR SHOW--god knows he was nice and generous to me. You really ought to check out DONALD RAY POLLOCK's hillbilly noir: KNOCKEMSTIFF. It'll do stuff to you. Like WINTER'S BONE without the glitter.
            While I'm a bigger fan of Koontz's earlier stuff than his later efforts, I will agree with you that the man is easily one of the nicest guys in the genre. A true gentleman, and more accessible to his fans than expected given his status.

Comment

Finishing up Tim Powers On Stranger Tides. I liked it a lot. It's always fun to find older titles that I've missed.
              MDH

Comment

Messed up the quote I wanted to quote but........
                I liked a lot of INSOMNIA, but thought it could have been cut by 400 pages and been twice the book. I found the ending disappointing too.

That is one of the things that is keeping me away from opening up Under the Dome, and even It - is the length. It would take me a long time to get through a book that big. Saying that.....today in the mail arrived Anathem by Neal Stephenson...... another huge novel!!!! But, one I am looking forward to.

Comment

Under the Dome is pretty fast paced and I got through it pretty quickly. Haven't read IT since it was released so I can't remember the pacing. Sometimes I find that reading a shorter book takes longer if I find it's not very interesting.

That is one of the things that is keeping me away from opening up Under the Dome, and even It - is the length. It would take me a long time to get through a book that big. Saying that.....today in the mail arrived Anathem by Neal Stephenson...... another huge novel!!!! But, one I am looking forward to.

Comment

Frankly, I started drifting away from Stephen King once it seemed he was getting paid by the pound. I like most of his early stuff, love his short fiction, but the huge titles just don't stand up for me.

Comment

Stephenson is a genuine genius--SNOW CRASH still blows away most anything.

Comment

Originally posted by William J. Grabowski View Post
                        Stephenson is a genuine genius--SNOW CRASH still blows away most anything.
                        I wasn't sure what book of his to grab, and that was an option. I will probably grab that at some point.

Comment

I wasn't sure what book of his to grab, and that was an option. I will probably grab that at some point.
                          You won't regret it! His CRYPTONOMICON is also fantastically inventive and absorbing.

Comment

The only problem is....it's gonna take me a while to get through Anathem - could stop a train with it!!!! It's a big one. I don't know if I will tackle that first, or try Embassytown or Hyperion (Mieville - Simmons) first. I have a feeling if I do Hyperion, I will want to follow it up with the next one in that series. But, I also hear that it can be a hard read.

Comment

Embassytown will be a tough read, also. The first 40-50 pages will be challenging as you get used to the structure of his book and his writing style. But it's worth it.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Continuing on my Bentley Little kick, I'm reading DOMINION.

Comment

Working...
                                X