Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kealan Patrick Burke View Post
    One of the few King books that I didn't love.
    It's been forever since I've read this and so far the re-read has been tough.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication Kealan Patrick Burke's Avatar
    Hosseini is an author I've heard nothing but good things about, but just haven't gotten around to reading yet. Will have to amend that one of these days if my TBR pile of 400+ books doesn't topple over and kill me first.

Quote Originally Posted by copefiend2 View Post
    It's been forever since I've read this and so far the re-read has been tough.
    This was the book that started my burned out phase on King's work. I followed that one with ROSE MADDER which I liked up until the ending. He wouldn't win me back again until DUMA KEY.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    He wouldn't win me back again until DUMA KEY.
    I think he won a lot of people back with that book. One of my favorites that had that great SK feel to it.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication subie09lega's Avatar
    I've been rereading Misery, first time since its release. I've watched the movie several times and have always liked it but I thought I'd be disappointed with the book but have found it very engaging. Though I like most of King's works, I better like those that are focused on a few people rather large groups, I seem to care more about what happens to them.

I think he won a lot of people back with that book. One of my favorites that had that great SK feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    I've been rereading Misery, first time since its release. I've watched the movie several times and have always liked it but I thought I'd be disappointed with the book but have found it very engaging. Though I like most of King's works, I better like those that are focused on a few people rather large groups, I seem to care more about what happens to them.
    I'd agree with you for the most part. I also seem to prefer his smaller canvases, though there are exceptions: Under the Dome being one of them.

Yep, absolutely.

I liked Under the Dome until the end, then it just fizzled for me. Otherwise, I did enjoy it, especially Big Jim. It's not often that I loathe someone so much, especially someone who isn't even real.

I'd agree with you for the most part. I also seem to prefer his smaller canvases, though there are exceptions: Under the Dome being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    I liked Under the Dome until the end, then it just fizzled for me. Otherwise, I did enjoy it, especially Big Jim. It's not often that I loathe someone so much, especially someone who isn't even real.
    Yeah, he was a great (if despicable) character. King did a great job bringing him to ugly life. I'm equally excited that in the upcoming miniseries, the role of Big Jim is being played by Hank from BREAKING BAD (Dean Norris), which I consider perfect casting.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    I am unsure of Insomnia - sounds like a good story, but I've heard many mixed reviews..... Yet Duma Key found it's way into my hands at my local store a few times, but I always put it back down for some reason.

My TBR pile is pretty big for my standards, and growing. Plus my Kobo books keep increasing too. I just finished The Teratologist, which was "weird" - see my quick review on the main "what are you currently reading" thread.

I started Blue November Storms on my lunch break, and should finish it tonight. Quick pace, short chapters, great flow.

I too find it hard to do more than once book at a time.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Hosseini is an author I've heard nothing but good things about, but just haven't gotten around to reading yet. Will have to amend that one of these days if my TBR pile of 400+ books doesn't topple over and kill me first.
    Highly, highly, highly recommend The Kite Runner, as it is my favorite of his two, probably because the main character of that one is male, where the main of Splendid Suns is female. Some of the early reviews for the new one are saying it is as good or better than Kite Runner, so I am very much looking forward to reading it. The Kite Runner was so good at getting me invested in it that at one point I was prepared to stop reading it the story went a certain way. It was late, I was tired, and had to work early in the morning but I absolutely couldn't stop reading until I knew what happened. I had never before (and never since either) been so emotionally invested in story that I was ready to stop reading the book if one part went the way I was afraid it would go! It's no wonder I was too drained for Splendid Suns to effect me in anything close to the same effect when I read it right after Kite Runner. I would recommend both books, Kite Runner more than Splendid Suns, but would recommend reading a book or two in between them and not making the same mistake that I did.

I'd say you could use the book for research, but I don't know what you'd be researching, lol.
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    I am unsure of Insomnia - sounds like a good story, but I've heard many mixed reviews..... Yet Duma Key found it's way into my hands at my local store a few times, but I always put it back down for some reason.
    I liked a lot of INSOMNIA, but thought it could have been cut by 400 pages and been twice the book. I found the ending disappointing too.

I started Blue November Storms on my lunch break, and should finish it tonight. Quick pace, short chapters, great flow.
    I really dug that. Brian needs to write more. Seriously. It's not like he has anything else going on. (giggle)

Quote Originally Posted by RJK1981 View Post
    Highly, highly, highly recommend The Kite Runner, as it is my favorite of his two, probably because the main character of that one is male, where the main of Splendid Suns is female. Some of the early reviews for the new one are saying it is as good or better than Kite Runner, so I am very much looking forward to reading it. The Kite Runner was so good at getting me invested in it that at one point I was prepared to stop reading it the story went a certain way. It was late, I was tired, and had to work early in the morning but I absolutely couldn't stop reading until I knew what happened. I had never before (and never since either) been so emotionally invested in story that I was ready to stop reading the book if one part went the way I was afraid it would go! It's no wonder I was too drained for Splendid Suns to effect me in anything close to the same effect when I read it right after Kite Runner. I would recommend both books, Kite Runner more than Splendid Suns, but would recommend reading a book or two in between them and not making the same mistake that I did.

I'd say you could use the book for research, but I don't know what you'd be researching, lol.
    That's a hell of a recommendation, and one of many I've received. I'll get to it someday...hopefully.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed William J. Grabowski's Avatar
    I used to admire Koontz back when I wrote for THE HORROR SHOW--god knows he was nice and generous to me. You really ought to check out DONALD RAY POLLOCK's hillbilly noir: KNOCKEMSTIFF. It'll do stuff to you. Like WINTER'S BONE without the glitter.

Quote Originally Posted by William J. Grabowski View Post
    I used to admire Koontz back when I wrote for THE HORROR SHOW--god knows he was nice and generous to me. You really ought to check out DONALD RAY POLLOCK's hillbilly noir: KNOCKEMSTIFF. It'll do stuff to you. Like WINTER'S BONE without the glitter.
    While I'm a bigger fan of Koontz's earlier stuff than his later efforts, I will agree with you that the man is easily one of the nicest guys in the genre. A true gentleman, and more accessible to his fans than expected given his status.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Finishing up Tim Powers On Stranger Tides. I liked it a lot. It's always fun to find older titles that I've missed.
    MDH

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Messed up the quote I wanted to quote but........
    I liked a lot of INSOMNIA, but thought it could have been cut by 400 pages and been twice the book. I found the ending disappointing too.

That is one of the things that is keeping me away from opening up Under the Dome, and even It - is the length. It would take me a long time to get through a book that big. Saying that.....today in the mail arrived Anathem by Neal Stephenson...... another huge novel!!!! But, one I am looking forward to.

Under the Dome is pretty fast paced and I got through it pretty quickly. Haven't read IT since it was released so I can't remember the pacing. Sometimes I find that reading a shorter book takes longer if I find it's not very interesting.

That is one of the things that is keeping me away from opening up Under the Dome, and even It - is the length. It would take me a long time to get through a book that big. Saying that.....today in the mail arrived Anathem by Neal Stephenson...... another huge novel!!!! But, one I am looking forward to.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Frankly, I started drifting away from Stephen King once it seemed he was getting paid by the pound. I like most of his early stuff, love his short fiction, but the huge titles just don't stand up for me.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed William J. Grabowski's Avatar

Stephenson is a genuine genius--SNOW CRASH still blows away most anything.