Theli's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugen View Post
    Might need to check into those Howard books; I've barely read anything by him.

Very cool - thanks for posting!
    He's a definite must! My favourite works of his were his Bran Mak Morn tales, but really any of his barbarians or adventure works are outstanding. Hell his horror work rocks too. I've yet to check out any of his western or boxing tales though.

Love the collection, Mike! Fantastic pictures, all classic art. I have a few of those Conan PB's, The Gods of Bal-Sagoth and Flashing Swords (great anthology, though #2 may be even better!) as well. My favourite Frazetta art is the Conan of Cimmeria cover, taken from Howard's short story The Frost Giant's Daughter. I've also been meaning to pick up Wagner's Howard pastiche Legion from the Shadows.

Actually on that note, did everyone order their Kane collection from Centipede Press while it's on sale? Just got my order in a couple hours ago.

Comment

Picked up a series of books from the local book store a couple of weeks ago; The Earthly Paradise by William Morris

I just finished reading The House of the Wolfings by Morris and was really blown away. I'm looking forward to exploring more of his works.

Comment

This just arrived today. I missed out on the leatherbound, slipcased numbered edition of 500 copies, but I was able to snag one of the "ARC" (not really) clothbound and signed copies, limited of 100 I believe, but stamped with a key and instead of numbered. Quite the anthology I must say, bigger than I had anticipated.

Comment

Interesting! I wonder what the significance of the key is.

John

Comment

Love that book. Congratulations.

Comment

Great additions!

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys.

John: I'm guessing the key was just a cool stamp that Shawn Speakman had, but it kind of ties into the theme of being unfettered, and the symbol of the broken shackles. Haven't read it yet so I can't say for certain though, maybe I'm just talking out my butt.

Getting ready for the Centipede Press set with this bad boy:

It's not packed with art like the Howard or King novels, but Jeff Jones did 4 fantastic pieces (the above two are my favourites) in addition to the cover art. It's the only signed limited Kane collection and it's a great edition overall in my opinion! I won't be able to match my number to the CP set unfortunately, but I'm just happy to have it in my collection to be honest.

Comment

Nice! Kane has been one of my favorites for a long, long time. I used to have all the Kane paperbacks back then.

John

Comment

Thanks John!

I just got this little book;

Very happy to finally have it.

Comment

Well I've accrued quite a few books in the last short while. I've been focusing on my fantasy, fairy tales and mythology collection. This first batch all came from a book sale, almost all first editions, with the exception of The Dragon & The George and People of the Black Circle which are BCE, but also 1st edition HCs not sure about the Kay books, but The Wandering Fire is signed. All between $2-4.

Comment

I grabbed a couple unique pieces for my Tolkien collection recently. First up is a print with a remarque of Smaug from the graphic novel of the Hobbit, illustrated by David Wenzel.

Second up is an original water colour of Thorin from David Wenzel.

I also picked up a smattering of Tolkien 1st editions here and there. I upgraded my Children of Hurin to a 1st edition at the local comic con, picked up a first edition of the film tie-in printing of the Hobbit from Chapters along with 1st of Beowulf and Smith of Wootton Major.

Last edited by Theli; 11-18-2015, 04:54 AM.

Comment

That's not all for Tolkien or Alan Lee illustrated works though. I've been a huge Alan Lee fan since I was a kid and his art adorned the covers of my first paperback copies of The Lord of the Rings. And The Hobbit was what lead me to collecting books in the first place. I own about 20 copies, picking up the odd one here and there since grade school. So when I got the chance to add the crowning jewel of my collection, a signed limited edition of The Hobbit, loaded with art from Lee, I jumped on.

Comment

It doesn't end with The Children of Hurin and The Hobbit for the Lee works though. I also ordered Easton Press' signed edition of The Mabinogion, which I am greatly impressed with. Loaded with art, some full page, some a bit smaller. Pure class.

I picked up another Easton Press book too A Spell For Chameleon by Piers Anthony with a cool frontispiece by Don Maitz.

Still one more Lee to come, and many more books when the time allows.

Comment

I've picked up a few art books recently. Starting with a couple Harry Abrams pub. art books.

Faeries with art from Alan Lee and Brian Froud of Labyrinth and Dark Crystal fame.

and Giants:

Comment

An art book of the works of Brom (Famed Magic the Gathering artist and also did art for the Robert E. Howard collection And Their Memory Was A Bitter Tree)

And lastly a collection of A Song of Ice and Fire art published by board/card game company Fantasy Flight Games, featuring much of the art they've used in their various ASoIaF games as well as some cover art.

More to come, continuing with my George R.R. Martin collection, and beyond.

Comment

Working...
                                X