No announcement yet.

Theli's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice add on the Tolkien stuff. I'm also a fan of Alan Lee's work. That Hobbit book looks great. Which version would this be, I'm going to have to hunt this down lol. Do you have the Super Deluxe CoH? It's an amazing book and I strongly recommend it . I'm still on the fence with The Mabinogion, looks awesome but kinda pricey for me right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Julzz View Post
      Nice add on the Tolkien stuff. I'm also a fan of Alan Lee's work. That Hobbit book looks great. Which version would this be, I'm going to have to hunt this down lol. Do you have the Super Deluxe CoH? It's an amazing book and I strongly recommend it . I'm still on the fence with The Mabinogion, looks awesome but kinda pricey for me right now.
      The Hobbit is the Deluxe 60th Anniversary Limited Edition published by Harper Collins in 1997. I got it for a decent price, but I still had to store some money away to actually afford it. Probably the most valuable book in my collection. Honestly and unfortunately, it's probably going to be the only limited edition Tolkien book I can afford. So as for your question about CoH, no I don't own it.
      Maybe one day!

The Mabinogion is a bit pricey too, though I think it was worth every penny. Tons of art, much more than I had anticipated. I'd without a doubt say it's the nicest Easton Press book I own or have seen in person (though I'm sure there are some other truly outstanding EP editions out there too).

Comment

The Mabinogion caught my eye as well but I felt priced out. It looks amazing though and if I had the $ I'd pick it up no doubt. That Faeries and Giants both look great too!

I'm curious about that Hobbit. That thing is gorgeous and looks like a perfect book to save for - you may consider me a bit jealous. I've got the standard EP editions of the 5 books, but I've got to say the eye really wanders to my Alan Lee (big fan as well) illustrated trilogy, the Houghton Mifflin Centenary edition, copiously illustrated by Lee, and not limited in the slightest. It will be on my shelf always unless being read.

Love the collection!
        “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
        -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I actually still need to get an Lee illustrated hardcover collection of Lord of the Rings, and I wouldn't mind adding the Easton collection as well... Some day...

But for now, some more Martin!

1st edition of A Clash of Kings

Flat signed 1st edition of A Storm of Swords

1st A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

I love Gianni's work here, just loaded with illustrations!

And still one more signed work to come (thanks Brad)!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
            I actually still need to get an Lee illustrated hardcover collection of Lord of the Rings, and I wouldn't mind adding the Easton collection as well... Some day...
            The 60th Anniversary is pretty nice. Slightly bigger than the 50th although it is one volume so it's pretty heavy to read.

Comment

I also added a couple anthologies to my collection recently. Other than just the first Legends shown in the first picture, I also received the signed limited edition of Legends II from Brad (bsaenz). It is a fantastic copy and I am glad to have added it to my collection!

Great endpapers:

I also picked up a cool anthology from the local comic con, this first Hardcover edition was limited to a thousand copies and will be receiving a paperback printing in short order. 25% of each sale went to breast cancer research. Features stories by Stephen King, Peter S. Beagle, Charles de Lint and Robert E. Howard. Signed by the publisher/author Michael Joudrey at his story.

Comment

I've been wanting to add a signed Steven Erikson edition to my collection for a while so I decided to go with PS Publishing's copy of Forge of Darkness as they still had it available and on sale. Again I was disappointed... It's not just the quality of their editions, which is not up to par with the likes of CD or SP or CP or Easton... nor with their pricing, which is rather high considering the lesser quality, but also with flaws. My copy arrived in slightly damaged slipcase, which I could forgive, especially because they offered a small refund which I gladly accepted, but it also lacked the number, which to me is a major flaw. Their suggested solution was for me to write it myself, I guess I should have argued further, I'm sure they would have done something more, but that to me is just lazy. The response of "Sometimes it happens, most customers are glad to add it themselves." seemed rather disappointing, and lazy. Is there no quality control there?So I dunno, I'm not gonna write the number in, that feels like I'd be defacing the book. And I honestly don't know if the number the assigned me hasn't been used by someone else, and once written in greatly would diminish the value of the book. So blank I shall leave it. Just frustrating... I wish they didn't get so many lucrative contracts for authors I enjoy because I generally am dissatisfied with their products and printing ethics and I know I am not the only one.

With that off my chest... here it is:

and in the shared world I also picked up a 1st edition of an Ian C. Esslemont work:

Comment

That's actually not the first I've heard of that, Theli. I spoke with a dealer recently who told me that he receives all this copies "unnumbered" and writes them in himself based on the number/s that PS has assigned to him. I can totally see your frustration as it could cause serious issues with people writing in possible duplicate numbers as there really isn't anyway to police that I'd think. I personally feel all numbering/lettering absolutely should be the job of the publisher as well as their responsibility to ensure duplicates aren't issued. Leaves me cause to wonder now if my matching numbers for their King Anniversary series is actually only assigned to me if any old Joe Blow can write in what ever the hell he/she pleases. You're a better man than me. I'd sent that shit right back across the pond in which it came.

Comment

My only problem has been that their slipcases are reallllyyyy tight, so tight that you sometimes can't wrap the book.

Comment

I received an unnumbered book from SubPress once. Luckily it was part of a series I was collecting so there was virtually no chance Bill accidentally shipped my number to someone else. After emailing Bill, I ended up having my wife write the number in (as my handwriting is terrible).

I also got an unnumbered book from Borderlands Press, but since it was discounted to like five bucks, I didn't feel it was worth saying anything.

Comment

No where was I? I got the anthologies and Malazan books done, so what's next? Well I picked up a couple books of fairy tales:

A nice illustrated copy of Perrault's Fairy Tales, with art provided by Michael Hague, famed The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings illustrator. I also had a signed/limited edition of his illustrated version Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales, unfortunately the abebooks seller couldn't get their shit together and either never sent the book or lost it mid transport, I dunno, but I've begun the return process.

Also picked up my first of hopefully many Andrew Lang's Rainbow Fairy Books from Folio. This edition is gorgeously illustrated by Charles van Sandwyk.

Comment

I also picked up more Folio editions, a couple of epics:

I'd like to also pick up more of Robert Graves works, Greek Myths from Folio as well and a nice copy of The White Goddess.

Comment

And continuing with the epics and romances is a beautifully illustrated by Gustav Dore copy of Tennyson's Idylls of the King.

I also picked up a few more fantasy works, first is the book seen above with Idylls of the King, Born to Exile by Phyllis Eisenstein, with illustrations by the talented Stephen Fabian.

As well as few more Guy Gavriel Kay novels, both 1st printings, one signed.

and lastly of the fantasy novels I added a few more Robert Jordan and a Terry Goodkind 1st editions to my collection.

Last edited by Theli; 11-26-2015, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Theli in myths, legends and fairy tales I'm starting to think you know way more than the rest of us.

Is there a favorite you have that a layman shouldn't miss? I love the area(s) but find myself stumbling around in it, grasping at straws...

Thanks for the pics - these look great!
                              “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                              -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

And finally the last of my new additions is the SP edition of The Silence of the Lambs, a rather exquisite edition if I do say so myself. Though I do wish it had a couple more illustrations within, nonetheless I am fully satisfied with the purchase.

Comment

Working...
                                X