Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting questions

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar

Collecting questions

I am relatively new to collecting books. I have a large enough collection of not so collectible books, but only recently have I really been going out of my way to track down signed, limited, or first edition copies. So here's my first question, if you have a first edition copy of a book and it doesn't say anything about which printing is it fair to assume it is the first printing? Some of my books say First ed. 1st printing, or first ed. 2nd printing etc., but some just say First Edition. If not how can I tell which printing it is?

The second question is, how the hell do you guys get advanced copies of books, other than buying them on the secondary market?

Any responses will be appreciated!

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I've won a few on Goodreads (and am trying, unsuccessfully so far, to win some on Librarything). CD offered a advance edition club for 2013 (they used to offer them periodically throughout the year, but this year decided to group it all together in one bunch--so I'm stuck for another year without that outlet ). Some people review them for websites and get them form the publisher for that purpose. And, of course, there's the secondayr market. Someone else probably has more ideas...

As for the 1st edition printings, yes, but there are resources online that can help you with that question. For example, for stephen king books, I use http://skcollector.com/.
    Last edited by srboone; 04-22-2013 at 05:22 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Which book(s) are you having questions about?
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

It was more just a general question. I picked up This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously Dude Don't Touch It today and noticed it didn't say inside, so it occurred to me to ask.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    The edge of a valley in the middle of a desert.
    I think it depends on the publisher. Usually there is a numberline where the lowest number represents the current printing. Example: 987654321. Sometimes a two digit year will follow, the lowest number being the year of the printing: 987654321 13 14 15 16

Some will just say first edition for the first printing and use a number line for later printings.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tito_Villa's Avatar
    Also make sure they have a price somewhere on the book/dustjacket to prove they aren't book club editions

Damn I guess I have the second print. It has a section that has: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2

So imagine the means second print.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Yep. Sounds like it. Don't worry for most of us we started out with little knowledge and learned as we have gone on. Sometimes you make bad mistakes with a purchase sometimes you really luck out.

Yep, dems the breaks I suppose. It'll still be a good book, and it's not like it was expensive.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jhanic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Damn I guess I have the second print. It has a section that has: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2

So imagine the means second print.
    Who was the publisher? Random House has started their number line with a "2"-King and Straub's Black House is an example.

John

It's Thomas Dunne's Books, St. Martin's Press.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed paperdragon's Avatar
    Ok here are a couple of questions for you folks. I am not looking to buy this book but was curious about the 20th century ghosts book in this auction. The uneven cut to the pages as seen in one of the pics, and the double line of numbers on the copyright page with JTC/RRD between these numbers. What does that signify print wise

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20th-Century...item2329308d8b

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jhanic's Avatar
    The JTC/RRD may indicate the printer. I can't see the picture of the uneven pages of Ghosts, but that is possibly how the book was done. I don't have a copy of the book itself (all I have is an ARC). Some publishers do that.

John
    Last edited by jhanic; 05-01-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    All the hardbound copies of 20th Century Ghosts that I have seen have the uneven trim. My copy also has the JTC/RRD on the copyright page. No idea what it means.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    The edge of a valley in the middle of a desert.
    The rough cut is how some books are done, probably for aesthetic reasons. See here: http://www.vjbooks.com/What-is-a-rou...ing-s/1073.htm

Not sure on the JTC/RRD code either.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tito_Villa's Avatar
    Yeah it's on all the books, called deckled pages i think

Senior Member Inmate
    I have it too, new purchase I just haven't gotten around to showing. Same deal with the pages, I like it.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    A little deckle edge history
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deckle_edge

I have a couple hard covers in my collection with deckled pages, always liked it. I'd love to get some limited edition numbered or lettered with deckled pages.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    While we are on the subject of deckled pages. NOS4A2 is also printed in this manner.