Collecting questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collecting questions

I am relatively new to collecting books. I have a large enough collection of not so collectible books, but only recently have I really been going out of my way to track down signed, limited, or first edition copies. So here's my first question, if you have a first edition copy of a book and it doesn't say anything about which printing is it fair to assume it is the first printing? Some of my books say First ed. 1st printing, or first ed. 2nd printing etc., but some just say First Edition. If not how can I tell which printing it is?

The second question is, how the hell do you guys get advanced copies of books, other than buying them on the secondary market?

Any responses will be appreciated!

I've won a few on Goodreads (and am trying, unsuccessfully so far, to win some on Librarything). CD offered a advance edition club for 2013 (they used to offer them periodically throughout the year, but this year decided to group it all together in one bunch--so I'm stuck for another year without that outlet ). Some people review them for websites and get them form the publisher for that purpose. And, of course, there's the secondayr market. Someone else probably has more ideas...

As for the 1st edition printings, yes, but there are resources online that can help you with that question. For example, for stephen king books, I use http://skcollector.com/.
    Last edited by srboone; 04-22-2013, 04:22 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Which book(s) are you having questions about?
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

It was more just a general question. I picked up This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously Dude Don't Touch It today and noticed it didn't say inside, so it occurred to me to ask.

Comment

I think it depends on the publisher. Usually there is a numberline where the lowest number represents the current printing. Example: 987654321. Sometimes a two digit year will follow, the lowest number being the year of the printing: 987654321 13 14 15 16

Some will just say first edition for the first printing and use a number line for later printings.

Comment

Also make sure they have a price somewhere on the book/dustjacket to prove they aren't book club editions

Comment

Damn I guess I have the second print. It has a section that has: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2

So imagine the means second print.

Comment

Yep. Sounds like it. Don't worry for most of us we started out with little knowledge and learned as we have gone on. Sometimes you make bad mistakes with a purchase sometimes you really luck out.

Comment

Yep, dems the breaks I suppose. It'll still be a good book, and it's not like it was expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                    Damn I guess I have the second print. It has a section that has: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2

So imagine the means second print.
                    Who was the publisher? Random House has started their number line with a "2"-King and Straub's Black House is an example.

John

Comment

It's Thomas Dunne's Books, St. Martin's Press.

Comment

Ok here are a couple of questions for you folks. I am not looking to buy this book but was curious about the 20th century ghosts book in this auction. The uneven cut to the pages as seen in one of the pics, and the double line of numbers on the copyright page with JTC/RRD between these numbers. What does that signify print wise

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20th-Century...item2329308d8b
                        If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

The JTC/RRD may indicate the printer. I can't see the picture of the uneven pages of Ghosts, but that is possibly how the book was done. I don't have a copy of the book itself (all I have is an ARC). Some publishers do that.

John
                          Last edited by jhanic; 05-01-2013, 07:36 PM.

Comment

All the hardbound copies of 20th Century Ghosts that I have seen have the uneven trim. My copy also has the JTC/RRD on the copyright page. No idea what it means.

Comment

The rough cut is how some books are done, probably for aesthetic reasons. See here: http://www.vjbooks.com/What-is-a-rou...ing-s/1073.htm

Not sure on the JTC/RRD code either.

Comment

Working...
                              X