Deciding what book to read next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deciding what book to read next

I'm curious if others sometimes have a hard time deciding which book to read next? I finished read Dweller by Jeff Strand yesterday and today it took a while to finally decide which book I was going to start reading today, which is Brian Keene's newest one, Entombed. I have so many books I need to read it sometimes takes a long time to decide what to read next. I know I can't be the only person with this problem, lol
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

You aren't. I might finish one book and take a week to decide what to read next. Or get about 10 pages in and decide I'd rather go with something else. But then sometimes I know exactly what I want to read next before I even get halfway through my current one.

Comment

I haven't taken that long to choose in a while, most I've taken is half a day since I started making sure I always had something I was reading this year, up to over 30 books read so far this year by doing that and yet my list of books I need to read doesn't seem to be getting much smaller, lol
      Spoiler!

Comment

I constantly have the problem of deciding what books or series to read next. I think it's just because my TBR pile is too large and I keep adding books to it faster than I can read them... :-)

Comment

I used to have this problem until I decided to read all of Stephen King's books in chronogical order. Before I would only read a book if it was a new release.

Comment

My TBR list has gonedown from about 400 to around 27 over the last 20 years (most of the list consisted of books I should have read in college and didn't). Add to that all the new releases I acquire. The time it takes to decide now is pretty minimal. Yesterday, I finished Planet of the Apes and I decided immediately that, based on what people on this board have been saying, my next read would be Lisey's Story. Now when I start it is another question...
            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
              my next read would be Lisey's Story. Now when I start it is another question...
              Excellent choice. I'm looking forwards to your reaction. Many people like it an awful lot -myself included-, others hate it.
              As when to start reading it, well, why not rigth now?

sk

Comment

I loved Lisey's store so that's a great next read. The three books I finished most recently (The Painted Darkness, King Blood, and Island Funeral) I would all HIGHLY recommend.

Comment

I'm relieved to see so many of my "which book to read next" conundrum thoughts reflected in print. Sometimes, this very decision becomes an obsession with me. I sit or crouch or stand or pace in front of my bookcase and study the spines of the myriad paperbacks, trade hardcovers, and limited editions screaming at me to read them. I see before me so many quality authors and books battling with too little time. I've sometimes lost hours of sleep trying to figure out which book will best fit my mood (botth current and long-term). To add to my dilemma, my book selection has become increasingly entwined with my part-time writing. I'm still trying to determine the best way to balance both activities. Any suggestions?
                  "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                    As when to start reading it, well, why not rigth now?sk
                    Point well-taken. I was only referring to whether I would start reading immeadiately or wait a day or two. But your enthusiasm has inspired me!

I have read the first part of Lisey's Story and I feel compelled to comment on it:

LS is something new for me. Over the years, King has horrified me, terrified me, grossed me out, repulsed me, thrilled me, confused me, disappointed me, and just plained scared me chiquitas. But never have I shed a tear from reading his words. Maybe I'm just getting soft as I approach middle age, but the sixth section of chapter 2 of LS might just be the best thing King has ever written. I have to stop for a bit while I contemplate this, but I will finish this book eventually. I don't know where this will end up in my ranking of SK's works, but I'll let you know.
                    Last edited by srboone; 05-30-2011, 11:43 PM. Reason: changed fifth to sixth
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Book I would like to read next:
                      The Tommyknockers

(I know I know, I keep hearing how bad it is, but it is the last King book I have yet to read)

Book I have to read next:
                      Becker CPA Review Financials and Reporting

Sigh...two sections down, two to go. This exam is a beast!!

Comment

Having made it halfway through Tommyknockers when it first came out, I would probaky try the CPA review first before retrying Tommyknockers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorScribe View Post
                          I sit or crouch or stand or pace in front of my bookcase and study the spines of the myriad paperbacks, trade hardcovers, and limited editions screaming at me to read them. I see before me so many quality authors and books battling with too little time. I've sometimes lost hours of sleep trying to figure out which book will best fit my mood (botth current and long-term).
                          That is exactly what I do, as well as sit here at my computer and turn and stare at one of my bookcases wanting 1 particular book to call my name so to speak. That almost never happens though. I try not to take hours thinking about it though as I want to always have a book that I am reading at the moment.

I also lately have asked myself what size book I want to read: shorter, normal, or larger. I have asked my fiancee at least twice what size book I should read next but she hasn't been helpful, lol, just says she doesn't know.
                          Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup View Post
                            Book I would like to read next:
                            The Tommyknockers

(I know I know, I keep hearing how bad it is, but it is the last King book I have yet to read)
                            Nah, it isn't that bad.
                            It's not one of King's best, but he has never written a bad book yet.
                            The Tommyknockers is average, but still enjoyable, King.

sk

Comment

If i'm not sure what direction to go in after i'm done with a book i just grab anything Joe Lansdale or Richard Laymon have wrote that i haven't got to yet.
                              As far as King goes I think that he just keeps getting better, Lisey's Story is great as is Duma Key and i cannot say enough about Under The Dome. Joe Hill has two really good novels as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X