Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Protecting Dust Jackets

  1. #1
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bendigo, Victoria
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    9

    Protecting Dust Jackets

    Hi, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for protecting dust jackets. I realise that being on the the book would be better but I prefer to see the books without the jacket. The books are stored in an enclosed book case.

    Any suggestions appreciated

    Drain74

  2. #2
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Stillwater, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    2,179
    Rep Power
    13
    Hmm, I guess I wonder about this a bit too, but more because I often remove the dust jacket when I read the books, though not always

  3. #3
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,392
    Rep Power
    15
    For regular size CD books, I use Brodart 10-426-005 Fold-On Archival Book Jacket. These are single jacket covers that are similar to what you would findin a library. Brodart makes anoother one of the same height, but the one I get is extra long to make sure it covers the entire dust jacket. They also make bigger ones. I *think* it's 10-426-006 for the slightly taller CD books like October Dreams and Road to the Dark Tower. Finally, for Secretary of Dreams, I think I used 10-426-010. If you look on the Brodart site, you can see the different sizes, but be sure you get the Archival ones.

  4. #4
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Tree705's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cottage Grove MN
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    9
    Lets see if I can post this. Did this years ago to show how easy it is to cover a DJ on Shocklines after questions arose on the subject.

    Just click it, you know you want to!

    Rich DeMars

    Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,392
    Rep Power
    15
    The brodart ones are nice because they don't require any tools, unless you use them for the really short CD books. Then I usually trim them a bit vertically and horizontally.

  6. #6
    Junior Member Visitor
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0
    If you get the rolls, you can customize the cover to exactly the length you need for the DJ without wasting any material.

    When you do commit to purchasing a cover, aim big, as you can always adjust large covers to accommodate smaller jackets, whereas you can't do the opposite (at least, not easily).

    The board that Rich uses in his video can be found HERE. And yes, it is expensive, but I can see where it would be a great timesaver and help protect the DJ while applying a cover. It's 22"W x 14"D.
    The angry book collector.
    www.awfulbooks.com

  7. #7
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Tree705's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cottage Grove MN
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by fleggett View Post
    If you get the rolls, you can customize the cover to exactly the length you need for the DJ without wasting any material.

    When you do commit to purchasing a cover, aim big, as you can always adjust large covers to accommodate smaller jackets, whereas you can't do the opposite (at least, not easily).

    The board that Rich uses in his video can be found HERE. And yes, it is expensive, but I can see where it would be a great timesaver and help protect the DJ while applying a cover. It's 22"W x 14"D.
    That price has gone way up but I bought mine at least 15 years ago. They do have a news letter and put out sale discounts all the time. if your patient you should be able to get at 20% to 25% off.
    Rich DeMars

    Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,732
    Rep Power
    14
    I don't use any protection!

    sk

  9. #9
    Junior Member Visitor
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree705 View Post
    That price has gone way up but I bought mine at least 15 years ago. They do have a news letter and put out sale discounts all the time. if your patient you should be able to get at 20% to 25% off.
    I'm really interested in obtaining one, but I can't afford a $95.99 outlay right now. I wrote to Gaylord and asked when they would be sending out their next round of discount coupons. If I can get the board for around $75, I'll bite. The last time I ordered from them was back in 1997, so I don't know if I'm still on their mailing list.

    Does anyone know if there's any difference between the Brodart and Gaylord covers? Or do they source them from the same manufacturer?
    The angry book collector.
    www.awfulbooks.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bendigo, Victoria
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    9
    Thanks for the advice listed above.
    Does anyone have any long term storage methods for the dust jacket if it is not on the book?

    Drain74

  11. #11
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,732
    Rep Power
    14
    Best storage method for a dust jacket: on the book!
    I know some people prefer to showcase a book without its cover, but ...well, I just don't get this.
    I own multiple copies of the same title as long as the dust jacket is different. To me, a dj is an essential part of the book.

    To each his own, I guess.

    sk

  12. #12
    Junior Member Visitor
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0
    For those interested in the book jacket cover board that Rich used in his video, Gaylord is offering it for $71.99 instead of the "public" price of $95.99. To obtain the discount, you have to enter priority code 190774 at the first checkout screen. It may take a try or two for the code to take depending on the browser, but it does work, as I bought one yesterday. My thanks to Rich for documenting the existence of this tool, as I doubt I would've stumbled across it otherwise (and it's fairly well hidden on the Gaylord website).
    The angry book collector.
    www.awfulbooks.com

  13. #13
    Junior Member Visitor
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh, to get back on topic, I agree with frik51 - protect the DJ using a Brodart or Gaylord cover and leave it on the book. Due to the way they're trimmed and folded, DJs are manufactured specifically to be fitted onto their host books. To remove and store them apart from the books for which they were originally manufactured seems a little bizarre (to me). I can see them getting damaged or eroding their shape in the act of trying to preserve them. Plus, you're exposing their parent books that much more to the elements.
    The angry book collector.
    www.awfulbooks.com

  14. #14
    Member Part-timer Justin Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fleggett View Post
    I'm really interested in obtaining one, but I can't afford a $95.99 outlay right now. I wrote to Gaylord and asked when they would be sending out their next round of discount coupons. If I can get the board for around $75, I'll bite. The last time I ordered from them was back in 1997, so I don't know if I'm still on their mailing list.

    Does anyone know if there's any difference between the Brodart and Gaylord covers? Or do they source them from the same manufacturer?

    Hey - good to see you here Fleggett (love your 'awful" books site). Don't know if they use the same manufacturer - I suspect they don't but I know I personally always preferred Brodart for cost and quality overall.

  15. #15
    Member Part-timer Justin Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    Best storage method for a dust jacket: on the book!
    I know some people prefer to showcase a book without its cover, but ...well, I just don't get this.
    I own multiple copies of the same title as long as the dust jacket is different. To me, a dj is an essential part of the book.

    To each his own, I guess.

    sk
    Wow, never heard of not keeping the dj with the actual book... I've never seen a collection stored that way (eeek!)

  16. #16
    Junior Member Visitor
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Hey - good to see you here Fleggett (love your 'awful" books site). Don't know if they use the same manufacturer - I suspect they don't but I know I personally always preferred Brodart for cost and quality overall.
    Hi JC. Yeah, I'm still kicking around here and there. One of these days, I'm going to actually review a book, which is AB's primary reason for being. It disgusts me that I haven't compiled an entry in over a year. However, I'm fairly proud of the links page, which is continually updated.

    To-date, I've only purchased Brodart covers, but Gaylord is having a one-day 25% off archival and library supplies sale on June 7th (with free shipping on orders over $200). I might take a chance on a Gaylord roll just to see if there's any difference between the two.

    Have you used any Gaylord covers?
    The angry book collector.
    www.awfulbooks.com

  17. #17
    Junior Member Visitor vampduster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't like the paper-backed covers. I use Demco Durafold: 1.5 mil film, one anchor tape tab, no paper backing and adjustable to fit any book jacket size. I usually keep a stock of 12 inch, 10 inch, 9 inch and 8 inch. When I was much younger and more stupid I used vinyl covers which did a number on some of my books and jackets during hot weather.

Similar Threads

  1. Dust...
    By peteOcha in forum Collectors Central
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 10:03 PM
  2. Replacement Dust Jackets Are Here!
    By Dan Hocker in forum Announcements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 05:15 PM
  3. [INDEXED]Replacement Dust Jackets are HERE!!
    By Dan Hocker in forum CD Projects
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 05:33 PM
  4. Dust Jacket vs No Dust Jacket
    By Tree705 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 08:51 PM
  5. Protecting Your Chapbooks
    By calason in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 02:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •