Protecting Dust Jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting Dust Jackets

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for protecting dust jackets. I realise that being on the the book would be better but I prefer to see the books without the jacket. The books are stored in an enclosed book case.

Any suggestions appreciated

Drain74

Hmm, I guess I wonder about this a bit too, but more because I often remove the dust jacket when I read the books, though not always
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Comment

For regular size CD books, I use Brodart 10-426-005 Fold-On Archival Book Jacket. These are single jacket covers that are similar to what you would findin a library. Brodart makes anoother one of the same height, but the one I get is extra long to make sure it covers the entire dust jacket. They also make bigger ones. I *think* it's 10-426-006 for the slightly taller CD books like October Dreams and Road to the Dark Tower. Finally, for Secretary of Dreams, I think I used 10-426-010. If you look on the Brodart site, you can see the different sizes, but be sure you get the Archival ones.

Comment

Lets see if I can post this. Did this years ago to show how easy it is to cover a DJ on Shocklines after questions arose on the subject.

Just click it, you know you want to!

Rich DeMars

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

The brodart ones are nice because they don't require any tools, unless you use them for the really short CD books. Then I usually trim them a bit vertically and horizontally.

Comment

If you get the rolls, you can customize the cover to exactly the length you need for the DJ without wasting any material.

When you do commit to purchasing a cover, aim big, as you can always adjust large covers to accommodate smaller jackets, whereas you can't do the opposite (at least, not easily).

The board that Rich uses in his video can be found HERE. And yes, it is expensive, but I can see where it would be a great timesaver and help protect the DJ while applying a cover. It's 22"W x 14"D.
            The angry book collector.
            www.awfulbooks.com

Comment

Originally posted by fleggett View Post
              If you get the rolls, you can customize the cover to exactly the length you need for the DJ without wasting any material.

When you do commit to purchasing a cover, aim big, as you can always adjust large covers to accommodate smaller jackets, whereas you can't do the opposite (at least, not easily).

The board that Rich uses in his video can be found HERE. And yes, it is expensive, but I can see where it would be a great timesaver and help protect the DJ while applying a cover. It's 22"W x 14"D.
              That price has gone way up but I bought mine at least 15 years ago. They do have a news letter and put out sale discounts all the time. if your patient you should be able to get at 20% to 25% off.
              Rich DeMars

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't use any protection!

sk

Comment

Originally posted by Tree705 View Post
                  That price has gone way up but I bought mine at least 15 years ago. They do have a news letter and put out sale discounts all the time. if your patient you should be able to get at 20% to 25% off.
                  I'm really interested in obtaining one, but I can't afford a $95.99 outlay right now. I wrote to Gaylord and asked when they would be sending out their next round of discount coupons. If I can get the board for around $75, I'll bite. The last time I ordered from them was back in 1997, so I don't know if I'm still on their mailing list.

Does anyone know if there's any difference between the Brodart and Gaylord covers? Or do they source them from the same manufacturer?
                  www.awfulbooks.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice listed above.
                    Does anyone have any long term storage methods for the dust jacket if it is not on the book?

Drain74

Comment

Best storage method for a dust jacket: on the book!
                      I know some people prefer to showcase a book without its cover, but ...well, I just don't get this.
                      I own multiple copies of the same title as long as the dust jacket is different. To me, a dj is an essential part of the book.

To each his own, I guess.

sk

Comment

For those interested in the book jacket cover board that Rich used in his video, Gaylord is offering it for $71.99 instead of the "public" price of $95.99. To obtain the discount, you have to enter priority code 190774 at the first checkout screen. It may take a try or two for the code to take depending on the browser, but it does work, as I bought one yesterday. My thanks to Rich for documenting the existence of this tool, as I doubt I would've stumbled across it otherwise (and it's fairly well hidden on the Gaylord website).
                        www.awfulbooks.com

Comment

Oh, to get back on topic, I agree with frik51 - protect the DJ using a Brodart or Gaylord cover and leave it on the book. Due to the way they're trimmed and folded, DJs are manufactured specifically to be fitted onto their host books. To remove and store them apart from the books for which they were originally manufactured seems a little bizarre (to me). I can see them getting damaged or eroding their shape in the act of trying to preserve them. Plus, you're exposing their parent books that much more to the elements.
                          www.awfulbooks.com

Comment

Originally posted by fleggett View Post
                            I'm really interested in obtaining one, but I can't afford a $95.99 outlay right now. I wrote to Gaylord and asked when they would be sending out their next round of discount coupons. If I can get the board for around $75, I'll bite. The last time I ordered from them was back in 1997, so I don't know if I'm still on their mailing list.

Does anyone know if there's any difference between the Brodart and Gaylord covers? Or do they source them from the same manufacturer?

Hey - good to see you here Fleggett (love your 'awful" books site). Don't know if they use the same manufacturer - I suspect they don't but I know I personally always preferred Brodart for cost and quality overall.

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                              Best storage method for a dust jacket: on the book!
                              I know some people prefer to showcase a book without its cover, but ...well, I just don't get this.
                              I own multiple copies of the same title as long as the dust jacket is different. To me, a dj is an essential part of the book.

To each his own, I guess.

sk
                              Wow, never heard of not keeping the dj with the actual book... I've never seen a collection stored that way (eeek!)

Comment

Working...
                              X