Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[INDEXThe Dark Tower Companion: A Guide to Stephen King's Epic Fantasy by Bev Vincent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[INDEXThe Dark Tower Companion: A Guide to Stephen King's Epic Fantasy by Bev Vincent

"Bev's book is a valuable tool for exploring the series. Both newcomers and frequent visitors to Mid-World will be informed and delighted."
    — Stephen King

New Signed Limited Edition Announced Today!
    The Dark Tower Companion: A Guide to Stephen King's Epic Fantasy
    by Bev Vincent

This is the discussion thread for The Dark Tower Companion announcement!

CLICK HERE to purchase this product

CLICK HERE to view the announcement
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

This is a really fascinating book and I think Dark Tower fans are going to love it!

Brian
    Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

I think I would, too, but I need to be sold on it. How is it different from Furth's Concordance? What makes it worth owning both?
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

My book has a fully alphabetical glossary that is divided into two groups: Our world and Mid-World. It's not constructed like a concordance, where people from the same place are grouped together. The glossary is less than half the book, though.

The Dark Tower Companion is meant to be an introduction to the series for people who may be coming to it from outside -- via the Marvel graphic novels, Discordia or (eventually) the films. It's also a handy reference if you've forgotten who a particular person is, or what book(s) they appear in.

In the beginning, I introduce the major concepts: who is Roland, what's the Dark Tower, where's Mid-World? Then I review the eight novels and then the related books. These overviews aren't as analytical as the ones found in The Road to the Dark Tower because I don't assume you've read the entire series.

Then I interview Stephen King about the series -- this is the first time I've ever done a formal interview with him. He talks about the place of the Marvel series relative to his books, reveals secrets (Roland's sister's name, for example) and discusses characters like Maerlyn and John Farson. He also talks a bit about another Dark Tower story he might write some day.

I interviewed Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman at length about their plans for their adaptation. They've never before spoken about their vision in such detail.

I interviewed Brian Stark about Discordia and Robin Furth about her work for Marvel, as well as Peter David, Richard Isanove, Jae Lee and several other of the artists who worked on the graphic novels. This is the first book to welcome the Marvel adaptations into the fold and discuss their place in (or out of) the canon.

I discuss the history and geography of Mid-World and drew the first-ever map of the known region of Mid-World. There have been other maps of various regions, but this one puts the whole thing together and it works! There's also a Dark Tower travel guide to Manhattan with a map of all the known locations from the series.

I finish with some essays that explore my thoughts on the series and what it all might mean.

Comment

Awesome description Bev!
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Thanks, Bev. You sold me! I was expecting Dan or Brian to set me straight, but you did just that and more.
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Cool!

Comment

I'd love to be able to buy this book at this time, and under normal circumstances I wouldn't hesitate. Ahhh, but my funds are running low for a while, and I'll have to pass

Comment

There's also a trade paperback and a Kindle edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Bev Vincent View Post
                    There's also a trade paperback and a Kindle edition.
                    No doubt that I'll get (at least) the trade paperback. I've enjoyed your past work, and don't want to miss out on this one entirely.

Comment

aye, thankee-sai. Bev!

If i could Marry a book it probably be the Dark Tower Series, but that content qualifies your book to be bridesmaid at least!

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                        Thanks, Bev. You sold me! I was expecting Dan or Brian to set me straight, but you did just that and more.
                        I think we need to have you ask that question more often. I ordered the book Monday night with the cdcc notice.

Comment

I just ordered it just and was able to use the ccdc notice, too. I wanted to aks that question sooner, but it hadn't nbeen announced. It was cool that Bev came on an answered it, though. Just the fact that he took the time to do would have made me buy it.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            I just ordered it just and was able to use the ccdc notice, too. I wanted to aks that question sooner, but it hadn't nbeen announced. It was cool that Bev came on an answered it, though. Just the fact that he took the time to do would have made me buy it.
                            I was thinking maybe we could ask Bev questions about OTHER books, too, while he's here! His books, other people's books.
                            Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                            My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Hello Bev, From the interview with Ron Howard did you really get the impression the movie project was really going to happen? It seems with all the film series releases the chances are much better in recent years. I thank you for any information you can provide.

Comment

Working...
                              X