No announcement yet.

Best King Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, just saw the trailer, lmao, he was right, it did scare the hell out of me...from sheer badness and I love the jabs at others who directed his stories, can you imagine if Kubrick had directed Maximum Overdrive?

Comment

It would have been...

A whole load of CINEMATIC AWESOMENESS no doubt!
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Agreed!

Comment

As far as I am concerned The Shining is the best adaptation of a Stephen King book. Like srboone said, they are both equally great, neither one better than the other, which is rare. Normally the book is much better than the movie. That said King has many other great movies, Pet Semetery, Carrie, The Mist, 1408, but probably my second favourite has to be Creepshow.

Comment

Of all the movie versions of his works, I'd probably have to put the 1976 version of Carrie at the top of my list mostly from sheer number of times I find myself watching it. Since the first time I saw it I would have to say my number of viewings have to be in the 40's. I'm sure it has as much to do with Sissy Spacek's performance as much as the story itself.

Then, in no particular order:
            Creepshow
            Pet Sematary
            The Green Mile
            Shawshank Redemption
            The Mist

Comment

Many of them but I especially like Carrie, 1408, The Mist, The Stand (a mini series I know but I have it on DVD), Stand By Me. They're the ones that come to mind right now.

Comment

The Shining is and always will be one of the best horror films ever made.

So on that score, check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfout_rgPSA

Someone has professionally made a spoof trailer for the Shining and turned it into a feel good family film.

It's very funny!!!!!!!!!!
                "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                - Stephen King

Comment

I love that one!
                  "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

If you liked the previously posted family film trailer for The Shining, check out this trailer for Stephen King's IT.

Looks like Stephen King has made another family film...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf2tqSy2zc

"Do you believe in magic?" LOL!
                    "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                    - Stephen King

Comment

I still enjoy Pet Sematery and Creepshow - probably my 2 favourites - I did enjoy Cat's Eye too.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                        I still enjoy Pet Sematery and Creepshow - probably my 2 favourites - I did enjoy Cat's Eye too.
                        The Shawshank Redemption is the only Stephen King adaptation where I think the movie is better than the book.
                        - Stephen King

Comment

T-Dog - I have not read the book, but the movie is very good! I still really like The Green Mile too - heartbreaking in a way.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                            T-Dog - I have not read the book, but the movie is very good! I still really like The Green Mile too - heartbreaking in a way.
                            Both films were directed by Frank Darabont and both are extremely close to the original source material. If I was in charge of a film studio that was going to make a Stephen King movie, I would make sure that Frank Darabont is directing it or not bother making the movie at all. Frank Darabont clearly understands and respects King's work and doesn't screw around changing plot details like all the other directors have, and still do.

The reason why so many King films fail, is that essentially, the director making the movie has changed or omitted important plot elements. For example, practically everyone posting comments on the Under The Dome TV series thread, are voicing their displeasure that the TV show is too different from the book.

This discontent is not isolated, I have read many comments on this forum about other Stephen King movies that have annoyed people for the same reasons as above.

Narrative drive is what makes Stephen King's novels special. The fine art of keeping a reader hooked on both the plot and what actually happens to the characters in the story. By closely following Stephen King's work, a film director can recreate this same narrative drive, so richly demonstrated in both The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

I rest my case.
                            - Stephen King

Comment

The only counter to your argument would be The Shinning.
                              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                                The only counter to your argument would be The Shinning.
                                I was expecting and indeed, waiting for someone to say that.

However great The Shining is, and I have already previously stated that The Shining is one of the greatest horror movies of all time; the source material had been changed so much that it essentially became Stanley Kubrick's The Shining and not Stephen King's. As such I do not view The Shining as a true Stephen King adaptation but a great horror film in it's own right, created by one of Hollywood's legendary movie directors.

My belief remains firm in the integrity of my afore-mentioned argument.
                                Last edited by T-Dogz_AK47; 08-30-2013, 06:36 PM.
                                - Stephen King

Comment

Working...
                                X