No announcement yet.

Best King Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@cdfan, couldn't agree with more, except for IT, and would like to throw Storm of the Century in to mix and maybe an honourable mention to The Running Man for nostalgic, boyhood memories! But for me, number one has to be Shawshank, closely followed by Misery and Pet Sematary (purely based on the amount times I've watched them).

Comment

My favorite King movie is probably The Green Mile.
      www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Comment

It's difficult because the movie is rarely better than the story, or even on par for that matter. While I like the IT series, I believe it cut out some important things. I loved The Stand. I did like Langoliers very much, except for the interpretation of what a thin strip of torn paper was. I too am a big fan of Shawshank Redemption, Stand by Me and the Green Mile, but I think a lot of that comes from superior actors being casted.

So my favorite? What's better than an insane Jack Nicholson with an axe? 1408 was close for me as well. However, I need a time machine, so I can give it to the 1st Darktower movie. I just think with today's technology and the concept behind it, that series is going to reap.
        Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

I rewatched "The Stand" with my girlfriend last week and felt it got worse as it went along. I felt the first part was brilliant, the second part okay (except the singing bit, umm), but then the third and fourth began to take a nosedive. My girlfriend's load groaning at various shots towards the end of the fourth part (particularly where it pans through the characters who died) didn't help matters either. I do feel there were some solid parts sprinkled throughout the series, but came away thinking it could've been much better. The book, along with "It", are my two favorite King books.

Comment

Originally posted by cdfan View Post
            My list starts with the usual suspects: IT, Green Mile, Shawshank, Stand By Me, Carrie, Misery, Shining, but one that I really do like that hasn't been mentioned yet is Dolores Claiborne. Am I alone on that one?
            No you're not! I really enjoyed this one too! First rate acting, well crafted story, much too overlooked IMHO.
            Some of my King faves include:
            IT
            The Mist
            The Stand
            Creepshow 1 AND 2
            Pet Semetary
            Children of the Corn
            Cujo
            Misery
            (yeah I cant pick just one...)

Comment

glad to see a few people adding Dolores to their lists. Does tend to be underrated. Also to the best of my knowledge rather faithful to the novel. Could be completely wrong as it has been quite a few years since reading it, but I don't remember any huge changes jumping out at me as I read it.

Comment

My favorite King flick has to be Shawshank Redemption and the all time worst so far has to be The Night Flyer. This one really stank.

Comment

I kind of liked Night Flyer.

Comment

Was Creepshow 2 his stuff? Or someone else's?

Comment

If I recall correctly, "The Raft" was one of the stories featured in Creepshow 2.

Comment

The Raft was a published short of his; I think the other two he wrote specifically for the movie.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Dolores Claiborne would be on my list too. I love all of the above with the exception of Dreamcatcher because I haven't seen it. There were some that disappointed me like Salem's Lot & Graveyard Shift. I get really angry when I see a bad Stephen King movie for some reason. It's like I know the story is so much better, ya know? The "made for tv" series typically ruin his stories. It's funny how I just watch them anyway and somehow enjoy them. It's like his story is too good not to like, even if it has been butchered on t.v. Desperation would be one example.

Comment

Originally posted by cdfan View Post
                            glad to see a few people adding Dolores to their lists. Does tend to be underrated. Also to the best of my knowledge rather faithful to the novel. Could be completely wrong as it has been quite a few years since reading it, but I don't remember any huge changes jumping out at me as I read it.
                            If I remember correctly, in the book, Dolores had three children--2 sons and a daughter. In the movie, she only had a daughter.
                            "I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later."- Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by lilbirdy View Post
                              If I remember correctly, in the book, Dolores had three children--2 sons and a daughter. In the movie, she only had a daughter.
                              Right you are, thanks. I grabbed my copy and looked it up.

Comment

In no particular order I would go for The Mist (great characters showing that the real monsters were actually on the inside), Stand by Me (the relationship of the kids was superb), Misery (whilst THAT scene was different from the book it still packed an almighty wallop) and Creepshow (Romero and King just having some fun with Savini along for the ride. Since then cockroaches are my number one hate)

Comment

Working...
                                X