No announcement yet.

Best King Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My two favorites are definitely The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, but I did find Dolores Claiborne to be enjoyable as well. I felt it was not fantastic, but underrated.

Comment

I agree that Maximum Overdrive is a terrible movie. But because of it's horrid-ness, I don't find it forgetable. Apt Pupil was a terrible movie, but I don't find it forgetable, either. Graveyard Shift and The Mangler were terrible movies, but i remember them. Now Delores Claiborne, I remember as a good movie, but I'll be damned if i can remember anything about it. In fact, I don't even remember much about the book except that it was part of trilogy that had at it's center an eclipse from 1963.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

My three main ones, which seem to be a constant through the thread, are The Green Mile, Shawshank redemption and 1408.

Interesting that some people will not like King's work but still rate the first two above, not realising the source of the work.

A few people have mentioned The Mist, this was a movie I was looking foward to but was very dissapointed in the ending, the book left the ending very open and unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by drain74 View Post
          A few people have mentioned The Mist, this was a movie I was looking foward to but was very dissapointed in the ending, the book left the ending very open and unknown.
          You do realise, don't you, that it was King himself who suggested this ending. It's in the novella.
          That's where Darabont got the idea to end the movie that way.

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
            You do realise, don't you, that it was King himself who suggested this ending. It's in the novella.
            That's where Darabont got the idea to end the movie that way.

sk
            That I did not realise, I will need to re-read the story, it has been some time since the last reading.
            Drain74

Comment

Well, it is in there, but only one short line, near the end.
              F. Darabont mentions this in his commentary.

sk

Comment

"1408" for me..... "Shawshank Redemption" is also right up there.....

And, I know it's not a movie, but I also really enjoyed the tv series "Kingdom Hospital".
                "Light the fire, feast
                Chase the ghost, give in
                Take the road less traveled by
                Leave the city of fools
                Turn every poet loose" ~ Nightwish - 7 Days To The Wolves ~

Comment

Wow, I'm surprised that there isn't a lot of love for my personal introduction to Stephen King, the origninal 'Salem's Lot tv miniseries. That got the ball rolling. The rest are the usual suspects, Shawshank, The Mist, Stand by Me. The Dead Zone was really good, and too often gets overlooked. I think one of the biggest letdowns for me was Cujo, and I have to blame the casting. When I read the book, I swore I'd never read another King book again if Tad died. In the movie, I couldn't wait for it, and then got really disappointed when he lived.
                  "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                    Wow, I'm surprised that there isn't a lot of love for my personal introduction to Stephen King, the origninal 'Salem's Lot tv miniseries.
                    I never even saw it.
                    Nor the mini-series IT.
                    Somehow I tend to stay away from King-on-television.

sk

Comment

I never even saw it.
                      Nor the mini-series IT.
                      Somehow I tend to stay away from King-on-television.

sk

I think both of those series were actually really good. Worth checking out.

Comment

I did see the The Shining mini-series though. Although SK is my favorite director, I preferrred the series over the film, maybe because of SK's own involvement? Didn't he write the screenplay? Of the series, I mean?

sk

Comment

I did see the The Shining mini-series though. Although SK is my favorite director, I preferrred the series over the film, maybe because of SK's own involvement? Didn't he write the screenplay? Of the series, I mean?
                          Yes, I believe he did. I very much preferred the mini-series over the movie. I think if I hadn't just read the book I might have enjoyed the movie more, but then again, I don't know. The kid's role in the movie was really annoying
                          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                          Spoiler!

Comment

Jack spoilt it for me!

sk

Comment

Misery, IT, Pet Sematary, Stand By Me, and The Shining.

Comment

For pure entertainment, Storm of the Century. For actual horror, Pet Semetary. And finally, to represent the man's ingenious wit and ever-changing repetior...Shawshank Redemption.

Comment

Working...
                                X