No announcement yet.

Which Do You Like Best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am more inclined towards short stories these days because I feel they really lend themselves to horror better than any other story form
    That's a good point...I feel that way too, plus you don't have to read 800 pages ofthe same thing. At least that's what it feels like when I try to read one and I cannot do it on my Nook Simple Touch. They're amazing devices but it just somehow feels wrong to read a book on them I should of returned mine or sold it.

Comment

I love them all! As long as its good, it doesn't matter! And when something is really good, then I hope its long as well.

I really like collections (especially King's stuff) but I also really liked George RR Martin's Dreamsongs. It has most of his short stories and they are from many genres, which makes for a very entertaining read! Actutally, I feel like doing a re-read of it soon....

Comment

I am a fan of novels. I am about half way through Speaks the Nightbird. Great book.As I get older I have become a bigger fanfan of the short story. So for me it is both but still prefer novels.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          It's all about the story for me. If it is a story that grabs me I can easily get through a long novel, Laymon's Traveling Vampire Show and King's The Stand are examples. If the story does not grab me a 200 page novel can take a long time to get through.
          I agree with Martin, It really depends on the story for me as well. I FLEW through The Stand yet took forever for It and they're both very long..one just kept my attention better than the other. Don't get me wrong I think IT was a great story it just didn't "float" along nicely as it could have. Then theres my fav novella series so far which I read in NO TIME at all. It really just depends on how the story catches your attention...I don't have the best attention span though so even a great story can take me a while.

Comment

I don't have the best attention span though so even a great story can take me a while.
            I'm exactly the same

Comment

I'm a fast reader, and I love long novels (when they're good, obviously!). One of my favorites is Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, which is probably one of the longest novels I have.

I tend to dip in and out of short story collections. I will read them eventually, but I tend to not read them in one sitting.

I used to love Dean Koontz books, and although I still like his Frankenstein series, I can no longer read the Odd Thomas books. I got Odd Apocalypse from the library on Friday, and gave up on it after maybe 50 pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                It's all about the story for me. If it is a story that grabs me I can easily get through a long novel, Laymon's Traveling Vampire Show and King's The Stand are examples. If the story does not grab me a 200 page novel can take a long time to get through.
                I agree with Martin on this one. If it bores me, I don't want to read it and I just put off reading. If it's an engaging story I can get through a long novel as fast as a less than interesting short story.

Comment

Working...
                X