Which books to save???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Justin Case View Post
    I think I could finally pick five.... but they have to be five boxes, albeit smaller boxes then I'd like.
    How about 5 bookcases, lol?
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
      How about 5 bookcases, lol?
      LOL... yes indeed - what if the entire library is on wheels like a huge limited edition RIF bus. It could be like RIF Deluxe

Comment

Okay, if we're talking about books in my collection that have to survive damage, and not desert island books then the list would be:

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King - signed from Centipede Press (I'm sure it's my most valuable)
        Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett - 1st print hardcover (one of my all time favorites and a hard edition to find)
        Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King - signed from Philtrum Press (it took me 25 years to get a copy & it's staying with me)
        Cycle of the Werewolf - original hardcover that has personally been signed by King and is waiting to meet Bernie
        Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons - original Graphitti Press hardback, mostly for sentimental reasons

God, there's too much left behind. Oh the humanity!!!

But I guess I'd rather see a tornado take them out then be around to see my wife stick everything in boxes and give it to Goodwill after I'm gone. She just doesn't get it. I think I'll have to get a glass doored bookcase and put the limited and rare books in there and tell her, "Do Not Give Away the books in that case. I know you hate the basement full of books, but those can be used to finance the kid's college."
        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
          Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons - original Graphitti Press hardback, mostly for sentimental reasons
          Very nice! I have this too; sadly, it didn't make the cut...
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I'd grab any signed/limiteds first, and then just any books that you really love. The Stand is one of my favorites, I'd grab that 1st. But wife and kids first, for sure. And yes, you need to get more bookcases. I have 11 total. YIKES.
            FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

<...sigh...>

I went thru this 2 1/2 months ago. Then it was tornadoes. Today a microburst of wind and rain blew thru my neighborhood.

DSCF0092.jpg

Lightning struck the tree in my front yard. It broke thru into my attic, but the smaller branch poking thru my roof goes to the room where my book collections are. This pic was taken after I'd put up roof jacks so I could start chainsawing out limbs and tarping the holes. Insurance and tree removal guys are coming tomorrow.

If it's not one thing, it's another...

I just hope I still have a signed/limited collection to add It and The Century's Best Horror Fiction to when they finally arrive.

<...sigh...>
              Last edited by srboone; 08-08-2011, 04:20 AM.
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Man, this is horrible.
                I do hope things work out for the best!
                Good luck!!

sk

Comment

Thanks, Siep. I'm working right now and my house is sitting there with a goddamn tree in it and it's raining again... and the wind is picking up....sigh...
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Wow i am sorry to see that, hope everything is ok with the books!

Comment

I'll know when I get home in about half an hour....and it's all about the books, anyway.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Well, no books damaged, my attic (full of costumes and props from a lot of high school plays and musicals) is a different story, tree is off the house and now it's clean up time (my yard is filled with branches and leaves). I'm off to bed...
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Glad the books at least are safe!

sk

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            <...sigh...>

I went thru this 2 1/2 months ago. Then it was tornadoes. Today a microburst of wind and rain blew thru my neighborhood.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321[/ATTACH]

Lightning struck the tree in my front yard. It broke thru into my attic, but the smaller branch poking thru my roof goes to the room where my book collections are. This pic was taken after I'd put up roof jacks so I could start chainsawing out limbs and tarping the holes. Insurance and tree removal guys are coming tomorrow.

If it's not one thing, it's another...

I just hope I still have a signed/limited collection to add It and The Century's Best Horror Fiction to when they finally arrive.

<...sigh...>
                            Damn. I somehow missed this post the last few weeks. I'm certainly glad that everything turned out okay and nothing that couldn't be replaced was damaged.
                            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Hell of a week--broke my routine in reading the DT series. I was clipping along fine and then that happened halfway thru Song of Susannah, now the final stretch is going very slowly. Oh well, I'll finish eventually. Maybe on Monday I start DT7, I'm just not into it now...
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I would choose The Husband by Dean Koontz because that's my favorite book, as well as Iris Johansen Stalemate, and John Lutz Night to Kill
                                www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Comment

Working...
                                X