Good Reads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I think it's probably most likely to go untouched for a large period of time. It's generally how these social networking acquisitions go, unless the site is failing horribly (myspace). Then when we do see changes to it, I think they will probably be minor. Purchasing GoodReads won't do Amazon any good if they change everything around and alienate the user base.
    Good points. I do wonder what will happen to Shelfari with this purchase, though. Will they incorporate the two somehow? Or abandon Shelfari? If nothing happens, no biggie, but they have an opportunity to improve things for sure.
    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Most people are concerned about their work on buliding the site going for naught. They don't like their honest reviews being mixed with the reviews of Amazon which they perceive as dishonest. Some (including myself) have noticed that certain options in their profiles have been switched on--like Amazon being the preferred seller they buy from and partners of Goodreads being given access to their reviews. They also don't want to start receiving emails from advertisers on Amazon. They don't want to lose the privacy that Gr appears to provide them. Concerns are mixed as to the ebook side of the deal as not everybody has a Kindle.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

LibraryTing is seeing a boom in their business. people are buying lifetime accounts there left and right and deleting their GR accounts. I've purchased an LT account but have no intention of deleting my GR account. I'll probably maintain both until interest lags.
        Last edited by srboone; 03-31-2013, 10:37 AM.
        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Wow, a few days of not logging on to GR and then all of a sudden this. I'm leaning towards the side that Amazon won't do very much in the way of changes, at least not right away.

Comment

I don't think it will be that bad. I like gr and will continue to use it.People are always looking for a reason to have issues with something.It seems to be more and more these days.

Comment

Over the last two days, I've received 2 books from giveaways that I did not win. I'm not complaining because one of them was The Hangman's Replacement which is truly magnificient. I also ntoiced that I'd entered 7 times to win Death Ain't But a Word and I just entered the 8th giveaway fort his book. I'm sure tenacity and perserverance will pay off, but come on!
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I have no problem with Amazon buying Goodreads. I think worrying about it is silly, though sorta understandable. Amazon isn't going to change what works and risk losing the fans that made Goodreads so popular. One change that makes sense that I have seen is the Amazon link in the dropdown list for books is now at the top, instead of the bottom. Amazon is the biggest seller of books, so it should have already been on the top anyway. I think a big reason Amazon made this purchase was more user info, and if I was worried about that then I wouldn't do anything online, especially not have a Facebook account or anything of the like.

I don't know how many are aware of it, but Amazon has a 40% share in LibraryThing as well, so switching from one to the other because of the Goodreads sale seems a bit silly and counterproductive to me. That share comes from Amazon purchasing AbeBooks.
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

But Tim Spauling still own the contolling share of it. And he's making money at it still since LT charges a yearly fee. But maybe $150m would change his mind too.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I have one giveaway finishing up on Goodreads and will likely put up a bunch shortly after. I have some older stock and I'm feeling in a giving mood lately, so be on the lookout for it. I'm planning on including some of my children's books.

Anyway, I'm not sure when there will be changes or if those changes will even be significant. I've been using GR more than usual lately and haven't noticed anything. I guess I expected some immediate changes, more intrusive and focused on their product. But it doesn't seem to be in the plans, as least not yet.

From the locals I've talked to that use GR, they don't plan to stop using the site. LibraryThing does look interesting, so I may check that out. Thanks for the post about it.
                    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

I'm still waiting for my first win to get here... Hopefully it does.

Comment

I finally won my first Goodreads giveaway!!!!!!

The Thicket by Joe Lansdale. I have not read anything by this author yet, so it's a double bonus for me, plus the story sounds pretty cool too.

Plus I also won a second LibraryThing giveaway for another e-book. Middle Damned by Shane Stilson. I received it by email already, but may wait until I finish Hyperion before I jump into it.

Comment

Nice! I have Thicket preordered as I have also recently discovered Joe's work.

Comment

Congrats. You'll love Lansdale.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                              I finally won my first Goodreads giveaway!!!!!!

The Thicket by Joe Lansdale. I have not read anything by this author yet, so it's a double bonus for me, plus the story sounds pretty cool too.

Plus I also won a second LibraryThing giveaway for another e-book. Middle Damned by Shane Stilson. I received it by email already, but may wait until I finish Hyperion before I jump into it.
                              Nice, congrats! That's a great first win!

Comment

I know as a winner, we are encouraged to read and post a review on the wins, but it's going to take me a while to finish Hyperion (which I really want to finish, as I have enjoyed it up to this point), then decide on which of the 2 giveaways to do. I will review them however on their respective sites.

I can't imagine those who have many giveaway wins, how you are going to review on the sites yous wont them off of. I have a bunch of giveaways I entered, that the winners have not been announced yet - what if I get more?

Comment

Working...
                                X