Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did CD drag you in to the Dark???!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When did CD drag you in to the Dark???!!!

I can't say it was my idea exactly for this new thread (Brad mentioned making this a thread, including the great title for the thread), but it did stem from my wondering about how many people discovered CD through the Blockade Billy release, which I don't ever expect numbers for.

So instead of getting numbers I'll just ask. How did you discover CD?

For me it was definitely Blockade Billy and haven't looked back since, have loved the production values of ever CD title I've gotten my hands on so far
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

I found CD around 2000 and became a devoted follower after their 2002 edition of From a Buick 8. I've been a fan of both the books and the company ever since. Some of the greatest people to deal with bar none!!!

Comment

I wish I'd know about CD when that title was announced (Unless it was when I didn't have money for the book anyway), looks absolutely great from all the pictures I've seen of it. Definitely great people to deal with as well, which is important
      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
      Spoiler!

Comment

Blockade Billy for me.

Comment

I discovered Cemetery Dance in 1998. I purchased I trade copy of an anthology featuring Stephen King called 999, I believe I bought this at Borders. I read this book and loved every story. The copyright page mentioned that it had been released as a limited edition from Cemetery Dance Publications. I googled them and found that 999 could be had for $125.00 but it did not contain King's signature. I passed on that purchase, a fact I regret to this day, but I noticed they had a book called Legacies available for $200.00 that contained King's Signature. I decided to order that and figured it would be a one time purchase of a limited edition. Timing on the next step for me is vague but at some point they announced a delay of Legacies and offered an in-stock limited edition valued at $40.00 free to make up for the delay. I chose The Poker Club by Ed Gorman. That book launched me into the world of limited editions, the story was incredible and I could not believe the difference in quality between that book and the hardbound editions I was used to buying at Costco and Borders. I now have over 100 limited editions including 10 King Signed Limiteds, by Cemetery Dance and many other small press companies.

Comment

Blockade Billy got me involved. Three grab bags later, I was hooked. My first big purchase was The Exorcist/Legion. But when I bought The Century's Best Horror Fiction, I knew I was lost in the darkness.
            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

From a Buick 8 for me.
              The first time I spent a fortune on a lettered edition.

sk

Comment

Jack Ketchum's Weed Species brought me here and I saw all the great things I'd been missing out on.

Comment

I think From A Buick 8 was the first CD book I bought, but I honestly don't remember for sure. Suffice to say that many have come along since that first one, whatever it was.
                  Visit my horror/crime fiction blog October Country.
                  Stalk me on Twitter: @BluGilliand.

Comment

I really don't know for sure maybe one of the boys can look it up if they keep such records. I do know that Mark Ziesings limited edition of Insomnia is what started be collecting past just the hard cover King books. I had the Grant trade editions of DT2 and DT3 but had never really seen high end production books. After that I starting getting everything Ziesing published and his in stock back catalog. I set up a book of the month club of sorts with him so I could buy them in an affordable manner. There are still a few of his books I don't have. Shocklines and CD come after that but exactly when I'm not sure. I do recall Rich offering a lifetime subscription to CD that my wife made me turn down. About a year or so after that CD's publication rate took off and the lifers got there money back in short order. I remember that because I have used that ever since as leverage to talk the wife into supporting my wish to buy life time subscriptions.

It was before you could order online, because I hated not calling Mindy with my order when the whole online thing started, I miss talking to her.

Wow that was a lot for me and I didn't even really answer the question.

Dan or Brian really if you can look up my first direct purchase and post it here that would be awesome.
                    Rich DeMars

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Tree705 View Post
                      Dan or Brian really if you can look up my first direct purchase and post it here that would be awesome.
                      That's a tough one Rich, especially if you've been ordering from us for that long. I know we only have hand written records of a lot of the orders from the really early days. I think Brian might have a chronological list of the books we've published though, you might be able to find out easiest off of that. I will however look and find out what the oldest book you have order that's in our current order management software is.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I first heard about CD when parousing eBay and ran across Secretary of Dreams Vol 1 and thought it was dang cool... And dang expensive. Then I went to the website and got on the mailing list... My first purchase was one of CD's excellent Grab Bags... It arrived the day before my honeymoon and the books came with us to our destination; a cabin in the woods. They hooked me, and I love 'em!
                        Last edited by Antmusic; 06-01-2011, 04:45 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                          That's a tough one Rich, especially if you've been ordering from us for that long. I know we only have hand written records of a lot of the orders from the really early days. I think Brian might have a chronological list of the books we've published though, you might be able to find out easiest off of that. I will however look and find out what the oldest book you have order that's in our current order management software is.
                          I looked on line for a chronological list but couldn't find one, that could help and would be nice to have on the CD website. Thanks!
                          Rich DeMars

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

In 1993 Darrell Schweitzer suggested I send some things to Rich Chizmar for his magazine. Rich resonded by sending me three stories to illustrate for Issue #19 (I think), one by Bentley Little (The Washingtonians) who I had never even heard of at the time. Eighteen years later, my last illustration work with CD is doing about a hundred remarques for the "Exorcist/Legion" book. So far I have completed 24. Except for the Clegg and Burke story collections, which I purchased, nearly my entire CD collection is made up of PC copies for work I have in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree705 View Post
                              I looked on line for a chronological list but couldn't find one, that could help and would be nice to have on the CD website. Thanks!
                              Let me work on updating the list and I'll find a good way to post it!
                              Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                              My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Working...
                              X