Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PAPERBACK EDITIONS OF KIN & OTHERS...

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I found a good price on the CD S/L of 121, but I also need to save money. But I could get the pb from B&N for around 5 bucks all told--seriously thinking on it.

But Kin is an outstanding read!
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    I highly recommend #121, some great story telling in this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    I found a good price on the CD S/L of 121, but I also need to save money. But I could get the pb from B&N for around 5 bucks all told--seriously thinking on it.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kealan Patrick Burke View Post
    Hey thanks, TJ, and I'm glad you found me! As others have said here, I would recommend KIN or THE TURTLE BOY as good places to start. If you do take the chance, I hope you enjoy them!
    Oh, I will grab one eventually. It's great to be able to diversify on the authors I am reading, and I 100% can attribute that to finding the CD website/forums.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication Kealan Patrick Burke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK1981 View Post
    I do plan to get it, though not sure when yet. Need money first. Will end up having to make room for it on one of my bookcases that has contains all my Signed Limited Editions and unsigned books from companies like Cemetery Dance, but that shouldn't be a problem since I still have some non-small press hardcovers on one of the bookcases. Will probably wait until I move somewhere else though as I will need to purchase another bookcase as well anyway since I am running out of room (less than a shelf left, lol) and have over 20 books on orde still!
    This is exactly the predicament in which I find myself. I recently reacquired three large boxes from my ex-wife's basement, and there are about 300 books in them, which would be fine if my shelves weren't already sagging under the weight of those I already have. But while good sense advises I hold off book buying until I find homes for the current titles, I can't seem to do it.

I did read King's Full Dark, No Stars straight through without switching to something else between stories, but that is the only collection that has happened with, and was partly because I was just hanging out with my girlfriend (Who I married less than a year later) as well as taking care of her since she had seriously hurt her ankle not too long before Christmas and there was no way she was going anywhere like that and needed help with doing most things since she couldn't walk. That also allowed her family to be able to keep their plans instead of cancelling at the last minute. Don't think either of us will forget that one, lol, was our first Christmas together. Was also the first (and so far only) King collection I have read. I'm sure if it wasn't for the circumstances surrounding it I wouldn't remember when it was I read that collection though. Had to guess on when I read a few books when marking them as read on Goodreads.
    That's one I read all the way through too. An excellent collection. I think I always end up reading King's stuff straight through. Same with Joe Hill's collection 20TH CENTURY GHOSTS, which was superb.

Oh, and I would agree with Kin being a good start too. Still reading it, but am loving it. Would be finished by now, but took November off from reading pretty much due to NaNoWriMo and finally have started reading a lot again a couple days ago. Read a little when at my in-laws, but had finished part one of Kin at the end of Oct. so I figured I was at the perfect stopping point and didn't want to start and not continue the next part.
    I hope you dig it!

Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post

Thank you, sir! And hey, if it saves money, I'm always down with the cheaper option!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I highly recommend #121, some great story telling in this one!
    Thanks Martin! I'm very proud of that book.

Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    Oh, I will grab one eventually. It's great to be able to diversify on the authors I am reading, and I 100% can attribute that to finding the CD website/forums.
    Glad you did, TJ. CD are great, and the forums here are a lot of fun.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Well, as of now Powell's does not have your paperbacks. They did have a limited edition of Currency of Soul's for $25.00 that I almost bought. Ended up passing due to book condition. I would rather pick up a paperback then a beat up limited.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    Yeah, CD is good for that. I have discovered and become a fan of a lot of authors through Cemetery Dance, andit all started with King's Blockade Billy. My second purchase was either Simon Clark's King Blood (which was gutsy since I had never even heard of him before, lol) or Blatty's Exorcist/Legion book. Dicovered Brian Keene through my first grab bag.

I discovered Burke through CD as well, though I didn't read a CD title of his first, found a good deal on a Turtle Boy HC. I still don't know how I got that lucky, don't think it was an eBay swipe, though it was from there.
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Well, as of now Powell's does not have your paperbacks. They did have a limited edition of Currency of Soul's for $25.00 that I almost bought. Ended up passing due to book condition. I would rather pick up a paperback then a beat up limited.
    Yeah, I'd have passed on that too, especially as I'll be offering discount coupons on my paperbacks in the upcoming newsletter ;-)

Yeah, CD is good for that. I have discovered and become a fan of a lot of authors through Cemetery Dance, andit all started with King's Blockade Billy. My second purchase was either Simon Clark's King Blood (which was gutsy since I had never even heard of him before, lol) or Blatty's Exorcist/Legion book. Dicovered Brian Keene through my first grab bag.

I discovered Burke through CD as well, though I didn't read a CD title of his first, found a good deal on a Turtle Boy HC. I still don't know how I got that lucky, don't think it was an eBay swipe, though it was from there.
    I think it's easier nowadays to get a copy of TTB. I just won a copy on eBay for about $15. A few years ago, I'd have been lucky to get one for ten times that. I think digital availability has affected the second hand value of the titles. Makes me feel bad for the collectors, but honestly I just want people to be able to read the books.

I think it's easier nowadays to get a copy of TTB. I just won a copy on eBay for about $15. A few years ago, I'd have been lucky to get one for ten times that. I think digital availability has affected the second hand value of the titles. Makes me feel bad for the collectors, but honestly I just want people to be able to read the books.
    I would agree, plus with the down economy prices likely dropped a lot. I don't remember right now what I got Turle Boy for, but I think it was around that, maybe even less. The cheapest I'd seen for that at the time was around $65-70, closer to $100 for one in new condition.

I am a collector, but I got into the game late, so a lot of what I have gotten has been for pretty cheap. I'm also not a hard core collector as I will read most of my signed limited editions. I will never read my limited edition of the the 25th anniversary edition of It that CD did. I do plan to read my copy of the gift edition though
    Spoiler!

I would agree, plus with the down economy prices likely dropped a lot. I don't remember right now what I got Turle Boy for, but I think it was around that, maybe even less. The cheapest I'd seen for that at the time was around $65-70, closer to $100 for one in new condition.

I am a collector, but I got into the game late, so a lot of what I have gotten has been for pretty cheap. I'm also not a hard core collector as I will read most of my signed limited editions. I will never read my limited edition of the the 25th anniversary edition of It that CD did. I do plan to read my copy of the gift edition though
    I know what you mean. I'll buy signed limiteds, but I read them all, which devalues them immediately, but that's fine by me. I don't buy books with the intent to resell them.

I buy limited editions for the stories and the production quality. I do not buy a book I would be unwilling to read. I am careful with my books no matter the edition because I want them to continue to look good and to last. Much to my wife's chagrin I have no interest in selling my books.
    I know what you mean. I'll buy signed limiteds, but I read them all, which devalues them immediately, but that's fine by me. I don't buy books with the intent to resell them.

barnes & Noble does not have them either. I guess I will be watching for your newsletter.

barnes & Noble does not have them either. I guess I will be watching for your newsletter.
    Yeah, I'm starting to realize that "expanded distribution" must refer to online merchants and not brick-and-mortar stores, which does not thrill me.

I buy limited editions for the stories and the production quality. I do not buy a book I would be unwilling to read. I am careful with my books no matter the edition because I want them to continue to look good and to last. Much to my wife's chagrin I have no interest in selling my books.
    That's how I am too, which is part of the reason I am not a fan of the mass market books, especially paperbacks. I did buy a signed edition of the IT 25th anniv. from CD that I will never read though. Not when I have the gift edition of that as well.
    Spoiler!

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I read my gift edition of It and left my S/L/N one alone in its traycase. More and more I find myself buying s/l editions of books, then when I decide to read them, go out an buy a paperback version. I did this with Under the Dome and most recently American Psycho.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

I open up the trycase and look at my signed edition of IT, but that is about it. I haven't read my Gift edition yet, but I do plan to.
    Spoiler!

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Guess what? I just ordered the pb edition of the complete Timmy Quinn from amazon. Only $12.99. This is all the novellas. Does not include The Death of Timmy Quinn.
    So if anyone is looking for an inexpensive reading copy they are out there now. Also amazon still has The Turtle Boy for free.