Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: PAPERBACK EDITIONS OF KIN & OTHERS...

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication Kealan Patrick Burke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Though it caused me two sleepless nights of frenzied reading, KIN is amazing! I'm telling all my friends to read this now, really enjoyed it a great deal, please write more!
    Thanks Tommy! I appreciate that!

Quote Originally Posted by RJK1981 View Post
    Loved Kin. Took longer than planned to finished since I took a whole month off from reading for the most part when I was doing NaNo, but finished it earlier this year. I actually switched from reading my ARC to my signed HC as I gifted the ARC to my now brother-in-law for Christmas.
    That's great, RJ! Thanks for passing it along!

I'm actually at work on a sequel as we speak...

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    A sequel??? Oustanding KPB!!! Looking forward to it!
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    A sequel to Kin! That is some of the best news I have heard in a while.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Wow! I was really hoping you would do a sequel for that, great news

Wow! I was really hoping you would do a sequel for that, great news
    Thanks guys!

I won't give too much away this early, but I can tell you that it picks up some time after Kin, and focuses on Chester "Beau" Beaumont, addicted to painkillers and given to frequent hallucinations of his deceased friend Finch, after barely escaping Hood Mountain with his life. He is hired by Kara Lambert to find her sister Claire, whose psychological issues have only deepened in the years since the Elkwood Incident, leading to a conviction that she has found the whereabouts of Luke Merrill, the only surviving member of the Merrill clan. Claire believes that the only way to get her life, and her sanity back, is to confront Luke and kill him. As his chemical dependency worsens and the line between real and unreal begins to blur, Beau's efforts to find Claire takes him back to Elkwood and Hood Mountain, and on to Florida, to Durance, a rural community maddened and yet thriving on the production of crystal meth. There he will unravel secrets and fight to survive the darkness that almost claimed him once and may already have claimed Claire.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Wow! Sounds great. Can't, but wait I must...and will.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    That is awesome news. Hope CD gets to do the limited.

Sounds awesome and almost like you've taken a tour of my home state of South Carolina, which by the way would make a great cameo location in the sequel, plenty of meth-addicted, murderous rednecks lurking in the woods around these parts, just saying

Thanks guys!

Sounds awesome and almost like you've taken a tour of my home state of South Carolina, which by the way would make a great cameo location in the sequel, plenty of meth-addicted, murderous rednecks lurking in the woods around these parts, just saying
    A lot of rural areas are like that these days, it seems. As research for the new novel I recently read Nick Reding's Methland, and it was a hell of an eye-opener.

sadly, I could probably right a part 2 to Methland without ever having read it, just when I thought drugs couldn't get any scarier, bath salts start making the rounds and people start getting their faces chewed off, great fodder for horror stories but not so great in real life, but anyway, can't wait for your sequel and I hope you publish through Cemetery Dance cause they are great!

Just ordered Ravenous Ghosts, Stage Whispers and The Number 121 to Pennsylvania and Others, I am going to be well-versed in the Word of Burke!

You're a gent. Thanks Tommy and I hope you enjoy them!

sadly, I could probably right a part 2 to Methland without ever having read it, just when I thought drugs couldn't get any scarier, bath salts start making the rounds and people start getting their faces chewed off, great fodder for horror stories but not so great in real life, but anyway, can't wait for your sequel and I hope you publish through Cemetery Dance cause they are great!
    The worse an economy gets, the more viable drugs become as a profitable industry. It has actually saved rural communities from destruction, albeit seeding long term destruction of another kind.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    This is spurred me to get my hands on Kin in the very near future. I loved Turtle Boy (on Kobo). So much to read, so little time. Good problem to have though right?

Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    This is spurred me to get my hands on Kin in the very near future. I loved Turtle Boy (on Kobo). So much to read, so little time. Good problem to have though right?
    The best kind of problem to have!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    When I read the part about the community surviving thanks to meth I was wondering if you got the idea for that from Methland or something since I saw you had been reading it on Goodreads. After reading the description of that one on Goodreads I decided I wanna check it out sometime. I don't read many non-fiction books, but do enjoy them. Enjoy true-crime books. Read "I" The Creation of a Serial Killer in one day I was so interested in it. Having half of it coming from the serial probably played a role in that. Also loved Killing Pablo about the hunt for the drug lord Pablo Escobar. It's amazing how towns thrive thanks to what someone does for it thanks to money made from illegal drugs and how towns will protect people like that. The way he lived in prison was amazing too. I don't know if that would be useful as research in writing a novel, but I imagine "I" The Creation of a Serial Killer could be useful in that you can discover how a serial killer feels/thinks.

And no problem in sharing Kin, thanks for writing it! Not sure if that has been read by the BIL yet, they are down in FL so I don't get much chance to talk to him. I also recommended they get The Turtle Boy too since my sis has herself an eReader
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Hey RJ: I actually read Methland after deciding to incorporate meth addiction and culture into the Kin sequel. The book came highly regarded, so that, along with a few documentaries, and my recent trip to Florida, aided immensely in research. I'll also keep an eye out for those other books you mentioned. Thanks!

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Mr. Kealan sir. Are there any online bookstores selling your books particularly Kin in epub file version for us non-Kindle or Nook people?
    Last edited by sunnyckf; 03-10-2013 at 07:13 AM.