11/22/63 movie news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srboone View Post
    Rose Madder was an attempt to mix Greek mythology with a story of spousal physical and sexual abuse. It wasn't very sucessful. I have Rose Madder as #4, above Wizard & Glass, Black House, and The Stand: Th Complete and Uncut Verison.
    Where do you place the abridged Stand compared to the uncut version? I have a friend that asked which he should read and I told him I didn't think that he would miss anything by reading the abridged version. Don't know what you're missing if you never read it.
    I liked Wizard & Glass but it was a bit too much on the romantic side. I didn't care much for Waste Lands, I often felt he was trying to right a long book.

Comment

The ABRIDGED The Stand? Don't know anything about that--sounds like an audio book.

For me, the original version of The Stand is #2, behind The Shining; and immediately above Cujo, It, and Lisey's Story.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

The ABRIDGED The Stand? Don't know anything about that--sounds like an audio book.

For me, the original version of The Stand is #2, behind The Shining; and immediately above Cujo, It, and Lisey's Story.
        I consider (and have seen it called such) the original version abridged since he cut a lot out to accommodate Doubleday's wishes for a shorter book. Thus the "uncut" naming on the 1990 release.
        My favorite has always been The Shining as well.

Comment

And abridged edition of a work is one that has been shortened. The 1990 version of The Stand expanded on the 1978 version, so "Abridged" is offensive to me as a label for the superior version of The Stand.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

And abridged edition of a work is one that has been shortened. The 1990 version of The Stand expanded on the 1978 version, so "Abridged" is offensive to me as a label for the superior version of The Stand.
            Don't take my word for it....
            From www.stephenking.com:
            "But as it was first published, The Stand was incomplete, since more than 150,000 words had been cut from the original manuscript."
            http://www.stephenking.com/library/n..._the_flap.html

Just saying

Comment

That's fine, but if the original version is abridged, then every novel is abridged since it goes through an editing process.
              Last edited by srboone; 03-11-2013, 06:30 AM.
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

That's fine, but if the original version is abridged, then every novel is abridged since it goes through an editing process.
                I agree.
                "now youes can't leave"
                A Bronx Tale
                directed by Robert De Niro.

Comment

Maybe to avoid future entanglements such as these, we could refer to the two editions as The Stand 78 and The Stand 90?

Comment

But where's the fun int that?
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Incidentally, Amazon has these titles listed as having the highest average reviews on Stephen King's Amazon Page

The Green Mile
                      The Shining
                      On Writing
                      Wind Through the Keyhole
                      11/22/63
                      Different Seasons
                      The Drawing of the Three
                      The Talisman
                      Night Shift
                      Misery
                      The Stand 90
                      Pet Sematary

Comment

But where's the fun int that?

Comment

I think the best way to describe them is 'The Short Version' and 'The Better Version'.

Comment

That's not true in the case of The Stand. The cuts were made, not because of editorial reasons, but because Doubleday didn't want to publish a larger (and more expensive) book.

John

Comment

Which is...editing. I've beeen the editor of a newspaper which I have been told cannot be more than x number of pages because the paper can't afford anything larger. Believe me, cost analysis (even if you aren't the one doing the analyzing)is as much an editing decision as other considerations. Especially when you have your bosses telling you so.
                              Last edited by srboone; 03-12-2013, 03:16 AM.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Let's call it a draw.
                                Definition of EDIT
                                to prepare (as literary material) for publication or public presentation
                                to alter, adapt, or refine especially to bring about conformity to a standard or to suit a particular purpose
                                Definition of ABRIDGE
                                to shorten by omission of words without sacrifice of sense : condense

Comment

Working...
                                X