Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which King book did you NOT like??

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TerryE's Avatar
    For me it was also Rose Madder. Insomnia would also be towards the top of that list. I think I'm one of the few people who really liked From a Buick Eight. It was the use of different narrators and the great use of each voice that I loved in that one. And a few months after I finished Buick I was on a trip to New England. We had just entered Maine (Stephen King country, ya ken it) and stopped at a light on Route 1. Sitting at the light coming the other way was an old fifties Buick that looked an awful lot like the one on the cover of the book. I asked my dad what year it was and it was a couple years off, so huge relief there.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    I think I'm one of the few people who really liked From a Buick Eight.
    I'm with you on Buick 8.

Early works of his--including It--suffered to varying degrees from clumsy handling of multiple narrators. From that stand point alone 8 is brilliant. Ultimately, 8 is minor King, but it represents the near perfection of his craft.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    My least favorite would have to be Buick 8.

That said, I have found that at different times in life, the way I receive an SK book changes. Insomnia is a great example. I tried 3 times to read it during the first year or so after it came out, and I just could not get into it. Then a few years later I picked it up again and enjoyed it. I liked The Tommyknockers from the first time I cracked it. I have to echo the sentiments of some others and say that I really love SK's short stories and novellas.

It's been 5 years since I tried Buick 8, and my life has changed a lot since then. It may be time to give it another spin.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed RJHubbard53's Avatar
    i cant think of a King book I haven't read... my top 3 worse are:
    Lisey's Story
    Tommyknockers
    Dreamcatcher

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    The three books off the top of my head that I did not like are:

Under The Dome & Tommyknockers & Cujo

In that order with UTD being my least favorite.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    I remember liking The Tommyknockers, though it's been several years now and I definitely wouldn't call it one of my favorites. What I absolutely didn't like at all was the miniseries they made for this one, I still have not been able to sit and watch even disc 1 in it's entirety because it was so different.

Quote Originally Posted by RJK1981 View Post
    I remember liking The Tommyknockers, though it's been several years now and I definitely wouldn't call it one of my favorites. What I absolutely didn't like at all was the miniseries they made for this one, I still have not been able to sit and watch even disc 1 in it's entirety because it was so different.
    You are right about the mini-series. That thing was a real stinker.

Quote Originally Posted by copefiend2 View Post
    I liked it so much I got bored fast-forwarding that one, lol

Member Part-timer portrait in flesh's Avatar
    Being terribly out of date, the last "new" King works I read (new in that they'd been recently released) were Desperation/The Regulators. (I have since read Bag of Bones, but even that's more than 10 years old). Of the works I have read, the hardest to get through was The Stand. I figure the version I read was the revamped one, since I know I read it well after the mini-series adaptation. When it was good, it was pretty good, but the religious parts got a little too much for me.

Junior Member Visitor
    Well... Under the Dome, The Talisman, Rose Madder, Insomnia, Song of Susannah and Dark Tower VII. It was boring to read them.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed RJHubbard53's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by copefiend2 View Post
    has any king mini-series been good? The Stand was "ok", as was IT, but both were kinda lame... and dont get me started on Langoliers...

King books are awesome but rarely translate well to the big screen - with a few exceptions such as Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption, and The Green Mile - Basically, anything story that has few supernatural elements seems to work...

Quote Originally Posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    has any king mini-series been good? The Stand was "ok", as was IT, but both were kinda lame... and dont get me started on Langoliers...

King books are awesome but rarely translate well to the big screen - with a few exceptions such as Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption, and The Green Mile - Basically, anything story that has few supernatural elements seems to work...
    I've always enjoyed watching "The Stand" even though there was certainly room for improvement. In regards to "IT" it was just ok with a few scenes better then average and of course the ending left quite a bit to be desired. One other King made for TV movie I thought was slightly better then ok was "Desperation".

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I like "The Shining" miniseries a lot. And not only because it included the hedge animals. While I thought Kubrick was more in touch with the supernatural horror of King's masterpiece, the miniseries was more accessible to a wider audience. The focus on alcoholism was something unexpected, but didn't make the miniseries unenjoyable. The only problem I had with it was it's length. Part of the horror of The Shining is it's unrelenting nature (something Kubrick understood). You can't get that in a 3-part, 6-hour miniseries. It played more like a suspense drama. But a really good one.

I do like revisiting "The Stand" every now and again. But to remake it....sigh...oh well...

I definitely like The Shining miniseries, much more than the movie. I couldn't stand the kid and using his finger with the funky voice. I liked the Jack Nicholson role though from the movie though. I still need to watch The Stand, especially since Netflix has it on instant viewing. I liked It, though it wasn't impressive to me (it was also quite old by the time I saw it since I saw it for the first time just a few years ago. There has been others I enjoyed as well, but Tommyknockers just stands out as the worst I can recall seeing, at least I could kinda laugh at things in The Langoliers, even if that wasn't the intended response

I have actually watched The Langoliers a number of times and actually enjoy it in a strange way. The effects are horrifically bad and the acting is (kind of) ok so I'm not really sure if I could pin point why I enjoy watching this. Maybe I just really like the subject matter?

Senior Member Inmate
    I loved IT, to this day it stands up as one of my fave King movies. That and the black and white version of The Mist, it has so much atmosphere. IT is the only miniseries I own of his, the others were just so-so to me.

I also really enjoyed Kingdom Hospital, though that wasn't based on his own works

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFisben View Post
    It was boring to read them.
    Personally I've never found a book by King boring. It's always a pleasure to listen to his voice. Sometimes he's a bit hoarse, though, but that usually doesn't last very long.

sk

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour divemaster's Avatar
    In order from generally 5th worst down to the bottom of the barrel, for me, are:

5) Dreamcatcher
    4) Insomnia
    3) The Tommyknockers
    2) The Regulators

and

wait for it...

the worst...

1) Gerald's Game

Dreamcatcher just didn't do it for me. Aliens? Shit weasels? Byrus? Army patrols? A mish-mash of half-baked ideas. And it seemed like King was trying to make another Tom Cullen out of the Duddits character and failing.

Insomnia--When reading it, I think things like "this is utterly ridiculous" and comparing the story to something Clive Barker may have written.

My problem with Barker (and with Insomnia) is that there are so many places in the story where the author just seems to pull something out of his ass. Otherwise known as "making it up as you go." I know King lets his stories write themselves, and there is something to be said for that approach (it can be fresh). But this book, more than any other just seemed so, well, random. The eye-rolling factor was high.

The Tommyknockers I am conflicted about. I really like the characters of Bobbie and Gard, but hoo boy the story was no good. I've actually read it twice, mainly to visit the characters again (well, mainly b/c I was stuck at someone's house for a weekend and it was the only book on the shelf I could bring myself to read).

The Regulators was just plain terrible. In fact, I would make it my all-time worst but at least King gets points for trying (referring to his experiment with The Regulators/Desperation dual release. Interestingly enough, I loved Desperation.)

Gerald's Game was just non-engaging. Story was not interesting. Might have worked as a short story, but not as a novel. And unlike most of King's works, I didn't care about any of the characters. She could still be stuck on that bed and I wouldn't care. Epic fail.

What a great thread. Of the recent reads I totally loved Duma Key and felt it a real return to form imo - I mention this because I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Needful Things has some really great parts but overall was too rushed in my opinion- it went from a kind of "widescreen" macro to a more "interal / imtimate mico vantage point too fast with little transition. I like Tommyknockers a lot but it may have been the time / age I read it. Of the ones I have not been able to finish yet are Insomnia and Rose Madder.. just couldn't get into them (yet) but it probably had alot to do with when I tried - someone already mentioned how it really depends on the timing and I agree. I am still looking forward to reading Under The Dome - some said they didn't like it - could anyone tell me why? Also need to catch up on Lisey's Story (without having read it, it seems to have similar themes to Bag of Bones but I could be wrong on this)