No announcement yet.

Which King book did you NOT like??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several of King's books started out as good ideas, but those good ideas got lost when trying to tie the story into the DT series. Insomnia and Black House come immediaely to mind. Insomnia started out good, but then just kept going and going and going...Black House suffered from an unknown narrator for the first 100 pages, then got really good, then when off the deep end.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Lisey's Story, definitely a book I absolutely did not enjoy. It was too long considering how weak the plot was, and the flashback within a flashback within a flashback was awfully difficult to follow.

Dolores Claiborne and The Eyes of the Dragon were also difficult reads, as well as The Talisman. These are the only books of his I'd say I actually did not like.
      "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

I have to go with Thinner. That book annoyed me for some reason to the point where I almost didn't finish it and it was a short book for Stephen King.

Comment

Originally posted by the_last_gunslinger View Post
          Lisey's Story, definitely a book I absolutely did not enjoy.
          I really liked this one, though I will admit it seemed a bit hard to get into initially, but did get to where I was liking it quite a bit.
          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
          Spoiler!

Comment

I really liked this one, though I will admit it seemed a bit hard to get into initially, but did get to where I was liking it quite a bit.
            I can see why it held appeal for some; it clearly was an important book that probably reflected more of Stephen King's own personal fears, (famous author dies, leaving behind beloved wife). There are some definite parallels to King's own life. And that's probably why he feels it's his best work. The problem, I think, is that the horror doesn't resonate with the common reader. It was too personal and thus, I felt slightly disconnected from the story.

I did like the concept of Boo'ya moon, though, and I thought the crazed man attempting to gain access to some of the author's unpublished stories actually made for a better narrative than the whole love lost thing. I kind of wish he had placed more emphasis on that aspect. I might have liked it a little more.
            "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

For me it was also Rose Madder. Insomnia would also be towards the top of that list. I think I'm one of the few people who really liked From a Buick Eight. It was the use of different narrators and the great use of each voice that I loved in that one. And a few months after I finished Buick I was on a trip to New England. We had just entered Maine (Stephen King country, ya ken it) and stopped at a light on Route 1. Sitting at the light coming the other way was an old fifties Buick that looked an awful lot like the one on the cover of the book. I asked my dad what year it was and it was a couple years off, so huge relief there.
              "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                I think I'm one of the few people who really liked From a Buick Eight.
                I'm with you on Buick 8.

Early works of his--including It--suffered to varying degrees from clumsy handling of multiple narrators. From that stand point alone 8 is brilliant. Ultimately, 8 is minor King, but it represents the near perfection of his craft.
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

My least favorite would have to be Buick 8.

That said, I have found that at different times in life, the way I receive an SK book changes. Insomnia is a great example. I tried 3 times to read it during the first year or so after it came out, and I just could not get into it. Then a few years later I picked it up again and enjoyed it. I liked The Tommyknockers from the first time I cracked it. I have to echo the sentiments of some others and say that I really love SK's short stories and novellas.

It's been 5 years since I tried Buick 8, and my life has changed a lot since then. It may be time to give it another spin.

Comment

i cant think of a King book I haven't read... my top 3 worse are:
                    Lisey's Story
                    Tommyknockers
                    Dreamcatcher
                    It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

The three books off the top of my head that I did not like are:

Under The Dome & Tommyknockers & Cujo

In that order with UTD being my least favorite.
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I remember liking The Tommyknockers, though it's been several years now and I definitely wouldn't call it one of my favorites. What I absolutely didn't like at all was the miniseries they made for this one, I still have not been able to sit and watch even disc 1 in it's entirety because it was so different.
                        Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                          I remember liking The Tommyknockers, though it's been several years now and I definitely wouldn't call it one of my favorites. What I absolutely didn't like at all was the miniseries they made for this one, I still have not been able to sit and watch even disc 1 in it's entirety because it was so different.
                          You are right about the mini-series. That thing was a real stinker.
                          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
                            You are right about the mini-series. That thing was a real stinker.
                            I liked it so much I got bored fast-forwarding that one, lol
                            Spoiler!

Comment

Being terribly out of date, the last "new" King works I read (new in that they'd been recently released) were Desperation/The Regulators. (I have since read Bag of Bones, but even that's more than 10 years old). Of the works I have read, the hardest to get through was The Stand. I figure the version I read was the revamped one, since I know I read it well after the mini-series adaptation. When it was good, it was pretty good, but the religious parts got a little too much for me.

Comment

Well... Under the Dome, The Talisman, Rose Madder, Insomnia, Song of Susannah and Dark Tower VII. It was boring to read them.

Comment

Working...
                                X