No announcement yet.

Which King book did you NOT like??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Salem's Lot is the first adult novel I remember reading. I was a major King fan from then (1976) until the mid-'80s. I hated The Tommyknockers, and after The Dark Half, I stopped reading King. I didn't read any more of his work until everyone was raving about The Green Mile, which I read and loved. Since then, I've read half-a-dozen others and found them OK, but nothing great.

I forgot---I did read one more after The Dark Half---the uncut edition of The Stand. While some of the extra scenes were good, the book as a whole was, IMO, ruined by the half-assed attempt to change the setting to 1990.

Of the recent books I've read, the one I didn't like at all was Under the Dome.

Hunter
    Last edited by goathunter; 07-12-2011, 12:34 PM. Reason: Added more info

Comment

I've heard mixed reviews of 'The Tommyknockers' too but i'm yet to read it.

Comment

It's ok. Not one of the best, but certainly not one of King's worst either.

sk

Comment

Hmm... to me, I thought "Cell" ended badly. I don't like stories that really have no resolution.

Some of his short stories - The Mangler? Wow. Of all the things in the world I would classify as "scary", a clothes press certainly isn't on that list.

In a general, overreaching sense, his books are often so similar that I find I'm not always in the mood for them, or I'll start one and get halfway through it. I do think he tends to really drag things out sometimes, and by now his character types seem almost like caricatures. I'm still a "buy everything he puts out" person, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll read them these days. I like the older stuff a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Xiabei View Post
            Hmm... to me, I thought "Cell" ended badly. I don't like stories that really have no resolution.

Some of his short stories - The Mangler? Wow. Of all the things in the world I would classify as "scary", a clothes press certainly isn't on that list.

In a general, overreaching sense, his books are often so similar that I find I'm not always in the mood for them, or I'll start one and get halfway through it. I do think he tends to really drag things out sometimes, and by now his character types seem almost like caricatures. I'm still a "buy everything he puts out" person, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll read them these days. I like the older stuff a lot more.
            I'm usually not very partial to endings that are unresolved, but I have to say that I did like Cell's ending. I guess because I was already thinking ahead and wrapped it up for myself.

Comment

I don't think it mattered what happened. That wasn't the point. The point of the story was that King feels Mankind needs to be rebooted or reinvented in order to progress as a race and getting him to that point was the important part. Where it goes from there is unknown, but something needs to happen. Might as well be a pulse.
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                I'm usually not very partial to endings that are unresolved, but I have to say that I did like Cell's ending. I guess because I was already thinking ahead and wrapped it up for myself.
                What ending? lol. But I agree with Squire even though it still pisses me off that it didnt end

Comment

For me it has to be The Tommyknockers closely followed by Delores Claiborne. Have re read The Tommyknockers twice and found it a struggle each time. I think I read somewhere that King wrote it at the peak of his recreational pharmaceutical use and I think it shows in the writing.

Comment

Delores claiborne was great. I read slow unless I get really into something. Instead of a several month span I read it in about 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                      I don't think it mattered what happened. That wasn't the point. The point of the story was that King feels Mankind needs to be rebooted or reinvented in order to progress as a race and getting him to that point was the important part. Where it goes from there is unknown, but something needs to happen. Might as well be a pulse.
                      Well, I prefer books that actually have some type of resolution, because I don't personally enjoy spending the time to read something that leaves everything up in the air. Brian Keene's "Darkness on the Edge of Town" was horrible in that respect as well. I don't think that I should have to write my own ending, but that's just me. It seems like a cop-out to end a book without resolving anything.

Comment

On board with you Mr Boone, The Cell allowed each of us to formulate our own Post-Noah's Ark / Meteor That Killed The Dinosaurs conclusion

Comment

I think it involves the reader a little more to end it that way. The book asks each person to examine how they would reinvent themselves if suddenly they had to start over; not just financially, but intellectuall, spiritually and emotionally as well. Kind of a "what would you differently" scenario. I still put Cell in the lower end of King books, but I did like it's open ending--and admire the courage it takes to end a book in that manner.
                          Last edited by srboone; 03-23-2012, 09:55 AM.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I loved Cell, untill the ending, i wanted more!!!

Comment

DREAMCATCHER is one of the few books (by any author) that I never finished. Since it was Stephen King, I stuggled for over 150 pages, then realized that I didn't give a damn if any of the charactors lived or died.

After being disappointed with Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne, Dreamcatcher made me seek other authors to read . . . haven't been back since.

Jan
                              Not enough books . . . . . just too little time.

Comment

Haven't been back since .... you really need to re think that, King's latest 11/22/63 is a great novel ... and i really liked Dreamcatcher

Comment

Working...
                                X